HTC 10 going back, I'm going to iOS

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Everyone should use the product they like, because it's their money.

Having said that, based on your criteria of decent viewing angles/email management/on-screen keyboard/tight integration with a PC, you really should have bought a BlackBerry Z30. They would appreciate your business, too.
How about the Priv? Would a device that's almost 3 years old still be good?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
About the keyboard, I hated the ios keyboard, both stock and third party. To each his own of course. If ios keyboard works well for you then great, stick with it.

With regards to Gmail, I find that the Android version is better featured. Especially the option to go to the next email after deleting the current email. Though I haven't used ios Gmail since around October last year. I don't get duplicate emails when emailing myself either. You can set whatever signature you like

BigCTM

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I just left iOS for the HTC 10. I literally despise the iOS keyboard. One of the main reasons I left...To each his own...

Posted via the Android Central App

dems86

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
As someone who owns an HTC10 and an iPhone 6S Plus...the keyboard comment in the OP made laugh

I absolutely hate how iOS handles third party keyboards, basically making it a PITA if you don't want to roll with the stock keyboard...but that aside, after installing GBoard today on the 6S+ I am finding myself dealing with the third party keyboard BS as after only a few minutes I find myself loving the experience of typing much more on GBoard...when it comes to corrections it's just as good if not better than the stock iOS keyboard, kinda like Google Keyboard or Fleksy which I've mainly used on Android

Saying you prefer the iOS keyboard is fine, but I do find it a stretch to try and promote that it is somehow better at its job than other keyboards....no, not at all, it's just the keyboard you are most used to because Apple hasn't allowed for third party keyboards until just a year and a half or so ago, and even now that they do the way they are handled basically encourages you to forgo using them because of how clunky it can be.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
One thing in the OP that got my attention the most is the keyboard not being as good as Apple's. Wow, no way man. Googles KB is fantastic. Never make mistakes on it, much improved from what it used to be. I'm always making mistakes on my iPhone(backup device).
Then there's the iOS home screen, boring. Can I put this icon over there and leave a space here please? NO F'in way dude! But since this wasn't mentioned in the OP I'll stop now.

regor60

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I agree Android keyboards offer more options and choices but, when I want to rattle off a few emails iPhone keyboard simply gets it done with very little corrections needed. In 8 years I have not found an Android keyboard that works for me that way for some reason.

I have to agree

X1tymez

Q&A Team
Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
I just switch to android. Even I'm with apple products since
Iphone 4 to 6 plus. I have to make a switch. Man! They do have good resell value lol

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I haven't seen the HTC 10 screen yet, but I can say that the iPhones have really great displays. The Mac integration is also great if you are into that.
Personally I do not want my Mac and all iOS devices to ring when I receive a call. It drives me crazy all the time. This was one of the features I disabled first when I was still on an iPhone. SMS integration is nice though, but as others already mentioned, it can be done with 3rd party apps on Android too.
The iPhone keyboard is the worst keyboard I have ever used in my life. iOS does a pretty terrible job with 3rd party keyboards too. I love the Google keyboard and I don't think I could use anything else apart maybe from Swiftkey.

SugarMouth

Trusted Member
Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
lol. It's more like a few minutes and much less complicated than all that - and the analogy misses that it's a matter of messing with settings on one phone that has one set of compromises vs messing with settings on another phone that has a whole different set of compromises.

The "fixing" part is some really simple stuff. But if you're not ok with HTC's implementation - there's nothing wrong with that! You already said you wanted a Note 6; wait a couple months and get that instead.

But much more importantly than missing the mark on analogies and stating opinions as a matter of fact - is that there's no point to posting any of this unless you want help solving the problems that you're perceiving. If you don't want help with that, then I'm going to fall back to my old statement, "want what you like, buy what you want, love what you bought". If your solution is to switch devices, get to it! If you are looking for help improving your experience, then ask for help. Mixing those two things up as if somehow our community, or even the company you bought your phone from would be threatened by your dissatisfaction and run to another product is counterproductive as it creates confusion about what exactly it is that you want. Do you want to keep the HTC 10 and have people help you get it working the way that you want things to work? Or do you want to buy something else that does things a different way? Everyone here is going to be totally fine with either decision.

The point of my post was to describe my experience with the HTC 10. I at times will read about other peoples experience on a product to gauge an overall consensus.

Nothing more to read into than that.

SugarMouth

Trusted Member
Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
About the keyboard, I hated the ios keyboard, both stock and third party. To each his own of course. If ios keyboard works well for you then great, stick with it.

With regards to Gmail, I find that the Android version is better featured. Especially the option to go to the next email after deleting the current email. Though I haven't used ios Gmail since around October last year. I don't get duplicate emails when emailing myself either. You can set whatever signature you like

As far as I know you are unable to replicate your desktop signature. It appears to be plain text. The iOS app simply uses your desktop signature in full HTML.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm an Android lover and iOS user. The keyboard options on iOS are definitely not as good as those on Android. But, it does kind of come down to what you get used to. Muscle memory. But the implementation is MUCH better on Android. The GBoard is pretty nice, though, and I'm liking it a lot more than the stock iOS keyboard.

I'm not going to get into Android v. iOS as I like both quite a bit. If I had a little more money than I do, I'd flip flop phones every day depending on mood.

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I just went from the iPhone 6 to the 10. The iOS Gmail app is crap and basically just the mobile-based web interface. The reason why the iOS keyboard is the best is because 3rd party ones are horrible and have nowhere near the accuracy and features of their Android counterparts.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Notifications. Not as great. I leave my phone on my desk face up. If I get a notification with my iPhone I look over and see what it is and get a short description or part of the email lit up on the screen. HTC 10? A beep and a blinking light, not good
Notifications in Android N should be a lot more to your liking, assuming OEM skins don't change things up too much. Lock screen notifications are a lot more informative on the N previews, though they could add a couple more seconds display time to them. Speaking of OEM skins, though, I don't have a 10, but if HTC still enables Tap to Wake in Sense that could be part of the problem--no "always on" display to push notifications to like the S7 or G5.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Notifications in Android N should be a lot more to your liking, assuming OEM skins don't change things up too much. Lock screen notifications are a lot more informative on the N previews, though they could add a couple more seconds display time to them. Speaking of OEM skins, though, I don't have a 10, but if HTC still enables Tap to Wake in Sense that could be part of the problem--no "always on" display to push notifications to like the S7 or G5.

This is one of the reasons I do not want to switch to the HTC 10. My Nexus 6P with its ambient display works great. Incoming notifications do wake up the display. It is a great feature and it is implemented better than on the iPhone.