Android compatible car stereos?

euge810

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Now that CES is winding down, anybody have any news on any new car stereo head units that will be Android compatible? I know Pioneer has one coming out, but it doesn't even play CDs or DVDs! What a rip off! Perhaps Google should take the next step and partner up with a manufacturer, (Eclipse maybe), and release a "Nexus" of car stereos.

-Eugene

bigdav1178

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Depends on what you consider "Android compatible"? There are already headunits out there that offer Bluetooth connections to your Android device to perform audio streaming and control - I've been using a Sony CD unit that does this for around a year now. If you're looking for something even more integrated, that's beyond my knowledge.

TropicalSammich

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I think 2012 will have more aftermarket android capability, but i think it will only be 2.3 at best, and 2.2 on most devices.

Not sure what kind of smartphone/headunit link there would be, as stated, bluetooth streaming has been around for years now.

Now if you could stream google maps to an OEM NAV display, that would be sweet. But most likely they would make it stand alone anyhow.

The phone would really just be for possible 3G/4G tether?

MicroNix

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
For something of a normal deck, here's one with an Android app. Also works with iDevices and Blackberry....these guys got it right. A car stereo has a longer life than a phone and being locked into a single brand is stupid. Best of all, there's Pandora controls over BT for Android whereas you need to be tethered with an iDevice :)

JVC KD-R80BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Note: It looks like JVC has a wide range of Android compat car stereos with many new ones offering the same features as this one plus DIN and Double-DIN form factors.

Last edited:

cordsig79

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Parrott offers what I believe along with the Sony devices as the future........4 USB ports and mechanicless unit. No more Cd's, just streaming music from sync, USB stix, mp3 player, or syncing phone via Android..........

http://www.amazon.com/Parrot-Astero...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU1729396

Mixed reviews but understandable for the products age..........

Product Features
Single Din Android Based Deck
Hands-free Calling, Bluetooth, 4 USB ports, analogue & GPS inputs, detachable screen, automatic phonebook sync, Multipoint & AM/FM Radio, A2DP streaming
Internet connectivity via 3G dongle or tethering for Apps including Google Maps, Roadtrip, Wikango, TuneIn & more
Search for and play your music simply by speaking the name of the album or artist
Powerful audio platform that includes 3 sets of pre-outs and a built in 4x55W Mosfet amplifier

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Parrott offers what I believe along with the Sony devices as the future........4 USB ports and mechanicless unit. No more Cd's, just streaming music from sync, USB stix, mp3 player, or syncing phone via Android..........

Amazon.com: Parrot Asteroid Android-Powered Car Stereo (iPod/iPhone/iPad Compatible): Car Electronics

Mixed reviews but understandable for the products age..........

Product Features
Single Din Android Based Deck
Hands-free Calling, Bluetooth, 4 USB ports, analogue & GPS inputs, detachable screen, automatic phonebook sync, Multipoint & AM/FM Radio, A2DP streaming
Internet connectivity via 3G dongle or tethering for Apps including Google Maps, Roadtrip, Wikango, TuneIn & more
Search for and play your music simply by speaking the name of the album or artist
Powerful audio platform that includes 3 sets of pre-outs and a built in 4x55W Mosfet amplifier

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699