Motorola Nexus speculation over?

chram893

May 2, 2012
Visit site
With the recent official announcement of Motorola's new Droid Razr lineup for this year, what does this mean for the rumors of Motorola making one of this year's Nexus phone/device? At their unveiling event, Motorola said that their new Razr HD and HD Maxx would launch sometime near the holidays. Could these 2 phones possibly be their last popular devices of the year and act as replacement devices in the place of a possible Motorola Droid Nexus (or whatever it might be called)? Or do you all think Motorola will have something up their sleeves and make an official launch announcement later on this year about the rumored Droid Nexus as well? Even though all this news and information is recent, I can't help but feel that this new Razr lineup is in response to Motorola not being one of the rumored manufacturers of a new Nexus device this year. Don't get me wrong, these new Razr phones are awesome pieces of innovative technology, but I'd definitely love to see a Droid Nexus launch in the near future.
Bottom line: I'd like to know what your thoughts and takes on this are. Do you all think the new Razr family was launched in order to replace the possible launch of the Droid Nexus?
Your comments, thoughts, ideas, and theories are all appreciated! :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
With the recent official announcement of Motorola's new Droid Razr lineup for this year, what does this mean for the rumors of Motorola making one of this year's Nexus phone/device? At their unveiling event, Motorola said that their new Razr HD and HD Maxx would launch sometime near the holidays. Could these 2 phones possibly be their last popular devices of the year and act as replacement devices in the place of a possible Motorola Droid Nexus (or whatever it might be called)? Or do you all think Motorola will have something up their sleeves and make an official launch announcement later on this year about the rumored Droid Nexus as well? Even though all this news and information is recent, I can't help but feel that this new Razr lineup is in response to Motorola not being one of the rumored manufacturers of a new Nexus device this year. Don't get me wrong, these new Razr phones are awesome pieces of innovative technology, but I'd definitely love to see a Droid Nexus launch in the near future.
Bottom line: I'd like to know what your thoughts and takes on this. Do you all think the new Razr family was launched in order to replace the possible Droid Nexus?
Your comments, thoughts, ideas, and theories are all appreciated!

I sorta hope not. Nexus phones are sorta risky and innovative. While this new generation of razr devices can be characterized as that, Motorola as a whole is generally bland and uninspiring, at least in my honest opinion.

I want a manufacturer who takes risk. I want Sony :).

Sent from my Overly Suspicious Robotic Grouper

chram893

May 2, 2012
Visit site
I sorta hope not. Nexus phones are sorta risky and innovative. While this new generation of razr devices can be characterized as that, Motorola as a whole is generally bland and uninspiring, at least in my honest opinion.

I want a manufacturer who takes risk. I want Sony :).

Touch?! Sony would definitely be a prime contender! I'd like to see the many ways Sony could make the Nexus device and experience even more unique than it already is!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Touch?! Sony would definitely be a prime contender! I'd like to see the many ways Sony could make the Nexus device and experience even more unique than it already is!

The idea of an Xperia Nexus makes my dreams pleasant and happy. The fact that JBQ has his Sony and AOSP experiment is a great sign too.

chram893

May 2, 2012
Visit site
It's easy. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other. :)

Interesting point. But it being still early and my brain being slow to process and analyze this, I'm still a little confused and not understanding clearly by what you mean... Could you please explain a little more Phil? Thanks! :)

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
As a side note, I fail to see how the new razr phones are innovative. They have what every other phone has: 720p screen, S4 dual core, 8mp camera. Somehow I feel like no matter who makes the next nexus, almost all of the most important internals are going to be the same.

chram893

May 2, 2012
Visit site
As a side note, I fail to see how the new razr phones are innovative. They have what every other phone has: 720p screen, S4 dual core, 8mp camera. Somehow I feel like no matter who makes the next nexus, almost all of the most important internals are going to be the same.

True, and I agree, but I still think what Motorola has done as far as redesigning the profile of the phone with the inclusion of a longer lasting battery compared to other devices in the market is pretty innovative in its own category. Nexus devices haven't been the best as far as hardware is concerned, but they do try to give the user the best of both worlds (hardware and software) as evenly possible .

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Going by that criteria, none of the phones released in 2012 have been "innovative".

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
True, and I agree, but I still think what Motorola has done as far as redesigning the profile of the phone with the inclusion of a longer lasting battery compared to other devices in the market is pretty innovative in its own category. Nexus devices haven't been the best as far as hardware is concerned, but they do try to give the user the best of both worlds (hardware and software) as evenly possible .

Exactly.

Thinness with amazing battery life (MAXX versions).

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Interesting point. But it being still early and my brain being slow to process and analyze this, I'm still a little confused and not understanding clearly by what you mean... Could you please explain a little more Phil? Thanks! :)

Motorola is now owned by Google, but is run as a separate entity. Motorola is not Android. The Nexus program is still run by Google.

Reactions: MERCDROID

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Originally Posted by craZDude<br />
<br />
<br />
Going by that criteria, none of the phones released in 2012 have been "innovative".

I agree with that statement as far as physical components go. Is there anything actually innovative about processor speed increasing from year to year? Or bigger batteries? How about a slightly different looking exterior that doesn't impact function?

To me, the only real innovation that has happened this year is with software. Like Samsung's smart stay feature, for example.

Innovation is defined as something that hasn't been done before, and is helpful or productive in some way. Increasing clock speed/number of cores/battery size/mega pixel count are not innovative.

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Personally I am pretty happy with the functionality of my phone, I am not particularly concerned with how "innovative" my next phone is. Just do the same things, with better screen, camera, new hardware, etc. and I'll be happy.

Now, what makes a Motorola different from their competition? I would say
Software is closest to stock, for me that's a plus
Build quality is strong
Radios and loudspeakers are supposedly better
Screens are not as good

None of these are really innovation, but they are differences. That's what it is to say Android gives you "choice".

Sent from my Full Android on Crespo4G using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree with that statement as far as physical components go. Is there anything actually innovative about processor speed increasing from year to year? Or bigger batteries? How about a slightly different looking exterior that doesn't impact function?

To me, the only real innovation that has happened this year is with software. Like Samsung's smart stay feature, for example.

Innovation is defined as something that hasn't been done before, and is helpful or productive in some way. Increasing clock speed/number of cores/battery size/mega pixel count are not innovative.

I agree to an extent. With regards to hardware, yes specs don't really matter with regards to CPU speed, RAM, heck even camera.

But on hardware, you can innovate to get around current limitations. For example, battery technology seems to be stuck. But we're demanding more out of our portable devices. We still want our devices light and thin though. I think it's innovative when Motorola crams a huge battery into a phone yet keeps a slim profile. Same thing with Apple's batteries in their MacBooks. A RAZR MAXX makes my Bionic with an extended batter look downright silly.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree to an extent. With regards to hardware, yes specs don't really matter with regards to CPU speed, RAM, heck even camera.

But on hardware, you can innovate to get around current limitations. For example, battery technology seems to be stuck. But we're demanding more out of our portable devices. We still want our devices light and thin though. I think it's innovative when Motorola crams a huge battery into a phone yet keeps a slim profile. Same thing with Apple's batteries in their MacBooks. A RAZR MAXX makes my Bionic with an extended batter look downright silly.

I would agree that Motorola's current strength is in their ability to bring a battery on board that is the same size as the competitors yet have 20 to 25 percent more battery life. And while I agree they have great battery technology, is that really advancing the field forward, or is that just a minor point to differentiate themselves from the galaxy s 3?

MERCDROID

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I would agree that Motorola's current strength is in their ability to bring a battery on board that is the same size as the competitors yet have 20 to 25 percent more battery life. And while I agree they have great battery technology, is that really advancing the field forward, or is that just a minor point to differentiate themselves from the galaxy s 3?
I think it's advancing the field forward in a way. If Motorola can keep advancing the battery tech used in the Maxx series, then one day there may not be any need for extended batteries. The price of the tech will drop, and more companies will up the mah of the stock batteries they offer. For example, the Note 2 comes stock with a 3100 mah battery, yet maintains its slim profile. And of course it's a way for them to differentiate themselves. But, as we expect our smartphones to do more and more, I wouldn't consider battery life a minor point. Just my opinion

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Name I seriously want to see a another HTC OK ik ik but the original nexus was HTC HTC is a little bad off maybe just maybe we cab see some truly killer hardware come out of a nexus when the egg heads at HTC and Google put their heads together like a giant think tank and go to war
INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I think it's advancing the field forward in a way. If Motorola can keep advancing the battery tech used in the Maxx series, then one day there may not be any need for extended batteries. The price of the tech will drop, and more companies will up the mah of the stock batteries they offer. For example, the Note 2 comes stock with a 3100 mah battery, yet maintains its slim profile. And of course it's a way for them to differentiate themselves. But, as we expect our smartphones to do more and more, I wouldn't consider battery life a minor point. Just my opinion

Well at this point since we are so far off topic anyway, I suppose we can continue discussing :)

I'm not saying that it's not advancing phones further; every single improvement to hardware is advancing phones further. What I am saying, however, is simply that it isn't creative thinking in itself that led them to the idea of a bigger battery. Creative thinking may have been required when developing the battery, and I applaud them for that. This is a change that, to the consumer, does not represent innovation. It simply represents a phone with better battery life that still looks and feels good.

I just feel like the word "innovate" is tossed around so much that people have stopped thinking about what it means. The Wii, when it first came out, was innovative, as was the galaxy Nexus with its on screen navigation buttons. Those are things that weren't necessarily a natural progression of the field, and were both new and different at the time of release.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Well at this point since we are so far off topic anyway, I suppose we can continue discussing :)

I'm not saying that it's not advancing phones further; every single improvement to hardware is advancing phones further. What I am saying, however, is simply that it isn't creative thinking in itself that led them to the idea of a bigger battery. Creative thinking may have been required when developing the battery, and I applaud them for that. This is a change that, to the consumer, does not represent innovation. It simply represents a phone with better battery life that still looks and feels good.

I just feel like the word "innovate" is tossed around so much that people have stopped thinking about what it means. The Wii, when it first came out, was innovative, as was the galaxy Nexus with its on screen navigation buttons. Those are things that weren't necessarily a natural progression of the field, and were both new and different at the time of release.

With the bigger battery in the MAXX, the innovation is in the packaging not the actual battery, IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress