A50 ghost touch issue

hashterix

May 15, 2020
Visit site
I've been having issues with the phone since January where it was making inputs in other places to where I was making them, and the problem would get so bad that it would start making inputs without me making them at all.

The issue seems to centre around the in-built fingerprint scanner. I bought it with a seller's warranty and they're trying to argue it must be physical or water damage (but I've always been careful and used a highly protective case, and don't use the phone in wet environments). I contacted Samsung about the issue and argued that as not just the device but the model itself was less than a year old that it wasn't possible for it to be out of warranty, but they refused to repair it due to it being a non-EU model (even though they're the same brand, essentially identical, the only difference being 2GB extra RAM, which they should have offered in the UK in the first place).

Here's an example of the issue:

It seems to happen almost at random, usually after the phone has been used for a while but in the case of the video it had been on the side and unused for days.

I searched the internet a few months ago to see if anyone else was having the same issue but haven't found anything, so if anything this is more to document the problem in case others also have it.

hashterix

May 15, 2020
Visit site
The device comes with a factory-installed screen protector that I have not removed. As this is factory added this shouldn't be the cause of any problems.

The issue does still happen in safe mode.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
If it came with one I would say its ok , still happens in safe mode maybe try factory reset or reflash the firmware

hashterix

May 15, 2020
Visit site
I've already done a factory reset, updates etc. It does feel like a software issue as restarting the device can alleviate the symptoms for a while (if it's been having a fit), locking and unlocking might let you finish your sentence while typing and restarting might give you 5 to 10 minutes without the issue. It's very strange. It can go for hours without any issues and seems to happen quite randomly.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've already done a factory reset, updates etc. It does feel like a software issue as restarting the device can alleviate the symptoms for a while (if it's been having a fit), locking and unlocking might let you finish your sentence while typing and restarting might give you 5 to 10 minutes without the issue. It's very strange. It can go for hours without any issues and seems to happen quite randomly.
Yeah does sound software related, if you can hold out to next update and see , or like I mentioned flash the stock firmware see if that works .

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Since you're running out of options, it may still be worth testing it without the factory-installed screen protector. Who knows, maybe it was a faulty installation?