Why can't I log in with the fingerprint scanner or change the screen lock settings?

Ivan Macadams

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
Can't log in with fingerprint or change screen lock settings

Hi, im new to this board, i have read many many threads about some issues realated to this but none seems to be the same.

Yesterday all of a sudden i lost the ability to log into my phone using my fingerprint, as you know, there is a kind of progress bar above the fingerprint sensor that keeps moving like "inviting" you to put and slide your finger across the sensor... But yesterday it stopped moving, and its just like a "frozen" picture of the progress bar, and of course is not reading my fingerprints.

I can login using my backup password (is the only way), so i decided to disable the fingerprint sign-in feature thinking it would be damaged, but i can't change anything on my list of screen lock options. :( :(

I dont know if my fingerpirnt scanner has really gone bad and its broken, because when i click in the fingerprint manager i get the next error as well:
"An error has occurred with the fingerprint sensor. If this mesage appears repeatedly, restart your device"

Of course i did MANY times LOL. but nohting has solved the issue.

I have read in some threads that should clear credentials under the security tab, but that option is greyed out, so i can't do that.

What can be going wrong here? Im using Android 4.4.4

It has been rooted but long ago, when i bough the phone, and i haven't installed any new software recently...

:'(

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Can't log in with fingerprint or change screen lock settings

On Android 4.4.4, finger print is not allowed for most exchange email security policy. So, if you use your phone to receive work place emails, and they update the policy, this could be your cause. You will have to upgrade to Lollipop to get decent finger print support.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It depends. I know a lot of AT&T OTA updates won't apply if you are rooted. Without OTA update, you will have to manually flash ROMs which requires full device reset and wipe out all data.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87