Galaxy Fold woes..

jcthorne#AC

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I think it's a bit premature to start expecting them to include that and there is a deductable and a limit to the amount of claims.

For an unknown design like this there should be neither a deductible nor a limit (or a large one) on number of replacements. Should be as simple as its broke, the send you a replacement next day air with a return mailer inside. You have 14 days to return your dead one or be charged for the replacement.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I would have a major concern that the plastic screen cover would eventually get dirty and start to peel around the edges. There's just to much that can go wrong with a thin , plastic, folding screen. I'll look forward to see how it holds up for actual real world users.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
For an unknown design like this there should be neither a deductible nor a limit (or a large one) on number of replacements. Should be as simple as its broke, the send you a replacement next day air with a return mailer inside. You have 14 days to return your dead one or be charged for the replacement.

Sounds great to me but not a realistic expectation. A new design purchase such as this one should be made with throwaway money and the device handled with care.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Why wouldn't it? We already know it's not a sealed unit

We knew it wasn't water resistant. That's quite a bit different than large particulate entering the device if that's what happened. If you're comfortable with that thought buy it. I personally wouldn't recommend anyone buy this thing, but my advice isn't worth that much and I don't have the right to tell people how to spend their money.

jcthorne#AC

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Sounds great to me but not a realistic expectation. A new design purchase such as this one should be made with throwaway money and the device handled with care.

I expect a company to take responsibility for defects in design. Change the terms I proposed to suit the lawyers but all I am suggesting is that Samsung make it very public they will stand behind these devices. One year needs to be the minimum as that is when most contracts allow unrestrained trade ins or upgrades.

alanjc

Mar 28, 2019
Visit site
I expect a company to take responsibility for defects in design. Change the terms I proposed to suit the lawyers but all I am suggesting is that Samsung make it very public they will stand behind these devices. One year needs to be the minimum as that is when most contracts allow unrestrained trade ins or upgrades.
From what I've seen, you get 1byear Samsung care for accidental damage and water damage plus whatever warranty your country gets you.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

That's not going to happen. I'd rather just sit back and wait for them to improve or abandon the idea. They're not getting my money as this point in time. That's all the insurance I need.

alanjc

Mar 28, 2019
Visit site
That's not going to happen. I'd rather just sit back and wait for them to improve or abandon the idea. They're not getting my money as this point in time. That's all the insurance I need.
That's great then. Thanks for your valuable insight in to a product you don't want to buy, and haven't read enough about to understand they are doing a lot for the consumer who does choose to buy it. Or that all of the issues so far seem to be user damage.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
That's great then. Thanks for your valuable insight in to a product you don't want to buy, and haven't read enough about to understand they are doing a lot for the consumer who does choose to buy it. Or that all of the issues so far seem to be user damage.

That's how the forum works. It's an open discussion. And please don't judge what I've read or haven't read or understand, because that becomes personal and that's not why we are here.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Too early on to order a device like this, I can already see issues with the size and screen issues. With the high price it's not worth it IMO I would wait until they work all the bugs out.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I really doubt this too... even with S10 being water “resistant “ and rated... you get water in it, you’re screwed anyways.

I’m sure the standard warranty is the same as any $1000 phone... one year and if defective, we’ll give you a refurb. That’s all manufacturers care about is making it to that one year.

Like I mentioned elsewhere... why the heck leave that gap along the edge of the panel?? If your gonna have a non removeable bonded clear layer... then bond it edge to edge.

New phones... like s10 come with protectors... honest mistake for many to think it’s the same on $2000 phone.

I have not seen anything official on this. Would certainly make me feel more comfortable.

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I find it hard to believe that removing a piece of plastic can put the display at jeopardy. If it's that fragile I don't want any part of it.

It's not that surprising to be honest. Displays are fragile period. The only reason it doesn't happen with normal phones is the rigid glass screen.

The force required to remove the film likely delaminated the layers underneath. Once those layers separate, the screen is dead. I accidentally found this out trying to repair a phone about 10 years ago. I just let others do it now.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
In a way, I feel bad for folks that pre-ordered this device. I just have the expectation that the device should be more solid than this before making it publically available. I think Samsung now sees this. I hope Samsung is able to get the issues worked out and the people that have ordered devices get a good, solid, durable device in a reasonable amount of time. I don't think that is expecting too much for a mobile device.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member