Galaxy Gear Updating to Build V700XXUAMK on Verizon

Batman8888

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
The Samsung Galaxy Gear is receiving a significant update according to Verizon. New support documents from Big Red detail an update that jumps the Gear up to software build V700XXUAMK and introduces all sorts of new performance improvements, while killing off a feature for tinkerers.

The changelog mentions improvements to battery life, S Voice search, pedometer accuracy, the NFC pairing animation, screen saver turn on time, and the messaging application. Verizon and Samsung also removed the USB Debug menu (wtf?), added support for VZW Messaging, now officially support the official Twitter app, and changed the motion menu. A couple of other bugs in the AlarmManager and Contacts app were squashed as well.

All of the above info was just copied from the DroidLife forum. Head there for the full story/more info. But my question is "have any of you received this update yet, and if so how has it been working so far?" I'm also curios as to the steps that had to be taken in order to install this new update for those of us that are rooted and running the custom Null roms? Did you have a hard time with it? Did you have to revert back to stock in order to even take the update? and lastly, were you able to re-root and run custom roms again when the USB Debugging menu has been removed? Please let us know. Thanks.

area52

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
This is strange, I've been on that build for a couple weeks. The usb debug was hidden (had to tap build number to activate it) but still there. I'm interested to see how the twitter integration works cause I can't see that but otherwise this seems like old news
a8u8eha3.jpg

se9uryjy.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Batman8888

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey Area52, have you seen any type of improvements in features or performance since the update? I'm really wondering if it is really worth the trouble to even bother with it.

Also, are you rooted? Running custom roms?

area52

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Hard to answer that cause I just got mine about two weeks ago and it update as soon as I turned it on. So I have nothing to compare it to. I'm stock unrooted and switch watch styler themes to play. I leave it in the charging cradle overnight and take it out around 7am. Get a bunch of notifications maybe a couple of phone calls and I'm usually around 40% when I put on the charger around 11pm. I haven't done much today on it other than notifications (prob about 75 differnt ones) It's been off the charge for 7 hours at this point and I'm at 81%

area52

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Yep np. Just made an interesting discovery on batt life. When I made that last post I put the watch in vibrate mode ...since then I've lost 20% on the battery in 3 hours as opposed to the 20% decrease over 5ish hours on ring mode. Apparently the vibrate kills battery a lot faster

anon(5397195)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I dont think thats the updated version from verizon. I am on the same version but I have twrp and null and stock rom backups after install and root. I still have USB debug and reverted back to stock this morning as I like touchwiz better. Although I initially liked null rom I don't see any real point in it. I was hoping to get the internet and a keyboard on it but I found the keyboard next to impossible to type on. Its not worth it to do so when my phone is in my pocket. I also wanted to get google maps to work but it looks like when u tether the internet via bluetooth you lose the functionality of the pair. Basically it doesn't pair both at the same time from what I can tell. So outside of that I wasn't a huge fan of the way the clock looked and don't really have any apps to open up that I really care about outside of notifications so I just restored my backup of the stock rom.

Really if they would just push google maps to the gear or allow me to look at the glympse map of myself thats all I really want. That and the ability to text from the contacts list. S voice doesn't seem to pick some of my contacts up.

So if this is the version they talked about releasing I can flash right back to null in less than a minute by restoring the null backup I took.

benhath

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
The version number mentioned appears to be the same one of the major update that recently occurred and that we were waiting for. Don't quite know what to make of that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87