moving apps to the external SD card

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Surely if we found a way to move Samsung movies to the external card, we can move apps to the external card.
My grandson's tablet was connected to my wifi and I tried to download a game for him from Google Play Store. It went to my tablet instead. Is there a way I can move it to my external SD card so I can install it on his tablet?
All hidden files are set to show. Maybe I just haven't found the right directory. Can someone tell me if we can do this please, thank you.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
ONLY certain apps can move to an sd card. it's up to the app developer. if it can, you can do it from the app manager for the app. Why not just dl the game directly to his tablet

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I thought I did Diane but never saw it. After seeing that it said "installed" I looked on my tablet and there it was. His tablet is not in the dropdown box as an option to download to.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Right. I used his tablet to go to the play store and d/l the program (my acct). The play store said "installed" but it was on my tablet, not his. When I tried again to download it, that's when I remembered to check the drop down box. Only my phone and tablet were registered. I guess I thought the site would recognize I was trying to download to a new device and with all the 5 and 7 year old commotion in the room, I couldn't concentrate :confused:

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
hmmm ok I understand more now, but now I'm stumped as to what to do. I'm guessing the tablet has to be registered with the gmail acct that apps are dl'd from the play store

kdog509adam75

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Right. I used his tablet to go to the play store and d/l the program (my acct). The play store said "installed" but it was on my tablet, not his. When I tried again to download it, that's when I remembered to check the drop down box. Only my phone and tablet were registered. I guess I thought the site would recognize I was trying to download to a new device and with all the 5 and 7 year old commotion in the room, I couldn't concentrate :confused:

I'm thinking that the game went to your tablet because your tablet is linked to your account. So if you used his tablet to log into your account google play store doesn't know it's not your tablet your using. I don't know if you can set up more than one device under a single account. But as already stated some app developers don't want their apps to be able to copy to an sd card. Of course you could always create an account for him and link his device with his account. Just don't tell him what the password is. Then you could log on from pretty much anywhere and as long as his device is within WiFi range, you could send the games you want him to have directly to his device.

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Just use a PC to move it from your table to his tablet.... Sort of like backup and restore...
Do it all the time to get around stupid restriction Amazon puts on Kindle apps/hardware...

Dale

Raymond Hubbard

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
AppMgr III works perfectly for me. It is a free app on Google Playstore If you download an app that allows you to move it from internal memory to an sd card if gives you a message it can be moved. Not all programs can go from internal memory to an sd card, however some can be moved.

billflat12

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
I store most of my android apps on a PC.. for flexibility & storage, just paste play-stores app url into an online leecher.

Online APK Downloader | Download APK Directly From Google Play To Your Computer

This should create a download link to download the apk. file . you can then transfer these to SD cards & install on any device . ( you may need to permit 3rd party installation on the device installing from an SD card )

Last edited: