Galaxy Note 10.1: Confused About Kitkat

Jwilock

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
If I buy a Note 10.1 2014 Edition now will it come with Kitkat, or an older version of Android? If it comes with an older version, will it "automatically" update itself to kitkat when that is available for the Note 10.1, or will I have to do something? If I have to do something, will it be easy for someone without a lot of technical know-how? Finally, if a new Note 10.1 2014 won't be delivered with Kitkat on it now, how long would I have to wait until I could upgrade to kitkat? Does anyone know how long I would have to wait to be able to buy one with kitkat already installed (assuming I can't get one now)?

I actually have a Tab Pro 10.1 on its way partially because I didn't think I'd use the pen, and partially because of Kitkat and the new Samsung software. I've had second thoughts about probably preferring the pen option (the Note) and now am just wondering if I can get kitkat on the Note as it will on my Tab Pro when it arrives.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gbuch

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Samsung has not yet updated the Note 10.1 2014 to KitKat (4.4), so if you buy it in the near future, it will come with Android 4.3.
When Samsung does release KitKat to the tablet, it will update almost automatically (you might need to press a confirmation button, or perhaps go to the settings menu and ask to update, but that's almost as easy as changing the wallpaper.
Samsung does not usually announce update plans, so no, probably no one here can tell you when we'll get the update.

ddavtian

May 28, 2010
Visit site
If you need to use pen, get 2014 edition and enjoy it. If you don't have a lot of technical I knowledge, why do you care about Android version? After kitkat there will be another version, then a newer one all the time. If you always wait for latest version to buy, you may never get one.

Jwilock

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
If you need to use pen, get 2014 edition and enjoy it. If you don't have a lot of technical I knowledge, why do you care about Android version? After kitkat there will be another version, then a newer one all the time. If you always wait for latest version to buy, you may never get one.

I do understand that, and really, it's the new version of the Samsung software I want. I just thought it easier to say Kitkat than the new Samsung interface, Frankly, I'm not really even sure what's it's called. But I've seen it demo'd and I like it more than the older version which I've used a lot since I have a Galaxy 2 smartphone. Also,even though I'm not overly techinical, my wife is even less so, and this will be her first tablet experience. I don'twant her to have to learn how to use 4.3 and Touchwiz and then in a few weeks have to get familar with a whole new interface.

mustbepbs

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I do understand that, and really, it's the new version of the Samsung software I want. I just thought it easier to say Kitkat than the new Samsung interface, Frankly, I'm not really even sure what's it's called. But I've seen it demo'd and I like it more than the older version which I've used a lot since I have a Galaxy 2 smartphone. Also,even though I'm not overly techinical, my wife is even less so, and this will be her first tablet experience. I don'twant her to have to learn how to use 4.3 and Touchwiz and then in a few weeks have to get familar with a whole new interface.

You talking about Magazine UX? It's pretty superficial. There's really nothing to get used to between the two versions from what we've seen of 4.4. I don't think you'll have to worry.

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site

New firmware updates, wont change entire tablet experience and just include bugg fixes, optimizations, new features. MUX in 4.4 is just a new launcher UI and old TW will still be there. If got confused and dont like it. But it will be at least 1 MUX window with TW.

aelaan

May 26, 2011
Visit site

I hear you about the experience, however I think you made a wise choice. The TabPro has also similar hardware and you can always add a stylus later. I got the 2014 edition because it came standard with 32GB memory. However it is in the end a little more expensive than the TabPro. You can always get a bookcase that holds the stylus. As an added feature you have KitKat already installed and would not need to wait for it to upgrade which could take away some of the joy of your new tablet. Happy Andoiding.

Posted via Android Central App

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Can't add a stylus and get Note support, the Note has a wacom digitizer, the pro 10.1 is the Note 10.1 2014 edition without the wacom digitizer.

Also, the kit Kat software running on the pro is pretty different and certainly snappier than what's on the note 2014 currently. It follows the new design language, the enhanced magazine UX (what's on the note 2014 is gen 1), and the new tool bar system as well. It just a better experience, is is sorely needed on the 2014 Note...which is a great piece of hardware marred by crappy software. Its ostensibly just ported from the phone and anyone whose tried both will tell you the same.

That said, having just had the same choice and having chosen the Note 14 - if given the choice again....I'd still pick the Note 14. Having used the note capabilities, I'm never going back...ever. There are no hardware differences between the Note 14 and pro 10.1 other than the wacom digitizer ( the 12/12" Note both got the updated USB3 port...which I'm still wondering why that isn't on all of these devices)...so that's my 02 cents!

Posted via Android Central App