Galaxy Note 10.1 Case Thoughts: Zenus AVOC Diary Case Cover

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
So I picked up a new case of Amazon commensurate with the $500+ purchase that hit my bank account this week. Wanted something for around the office (mostly work out of the house), and will likely pick up a "more suited for travel" solution from poetic or one of the cheaper guys down the line. I've been told that I put too many words around my thoughts and words equal bad for reasons...

So I'll post some pics and just get right down to what's good and what's bad:

It's very pretty, and despite being a non-leather "High End Eco Friendly Fiber" or whatever the hell that means, the build quality and construction of the case are as such that I barely notice the stand in for real leather.

All ports, camera's and other various assundry cut-outs appear to be in the right spot and sufficiently machined that I'm not catching my finger (nails or tips) when trying to get the Spen phallus out of it's tiny plastic ******, or turn the volume up or down.

The internal "bra," as it were (the piece that holds the tablet) is actually ridiculously rigid - and despite the light weight carry nature of a case like this - I think it could stop a bullet. It's made of some insane non-PET plastic (likely a high fiber terephathalatate or other poly carb blend..like found in large water bottles), that seriously I can't manage to bend even slightly by pulling up and down on both corners. Also, if you're into that sort of thing...wierdo, it's a "smokey" looking plastic that's only semi-transparent.

The interior is lined with some very high quality denim, which sounds odd - but the texture is lovely to the touch. I specifically ordered a brown case because I wanted the green inset - I think I might actually a red one (with cream colored inset) to have as a backup or when this one finally dies.

It's not leather, but the construction and handcrafts-manship is certainly apparent. There's hand stitches tying the exterior to the inset and it looks lovely! I've been using it for my daily case and despite it not being leather, there's no signs of wear around the fold lines near the spine of the case even though I routinely hold it like a magazine - pretty impressive.

Light weight - no real extra bulk.

What's not so great:

The price - I paid $29 for this through Prime on a one day special, but I've seen it going as high as $50. I'm not saying it's not worth it, there's certainly value and some bling factor at play here, but I would have had a harder time accepting the $50 price tag (or may if I decide to order the dark red version).

The play joint (that allows you to flip it into "stand mode" is like all other cases....if you don't routinely want to prop up your tablet - you have to live with it being lose while you work with it.
**I found a 10 cent solution in a pair of velcro micro dots (about the radius of my pinky finger) that I placed between the hard plastic bra and the denim case - and after some time - have no problems with the sticky "adherence." Now when I want to use my case as a stand...I have to pull a little harder and hear that satisfying velcro "skin peeling" sound before the whole thing comes apart!

The cover is a "smart cover" meaning it will turn on and off your screen, but with the case open (and the front folded over the back - the magnet it in the case will sometimes flip the screen off until it's moved ever so slightly. Not a huge deal - but it can be annoying.

So that's it - so far so good. Like I said, I don't know that I'd travel with it. To knock around the office or at home is one thing, but to put it under airline scrutiny and abuse would make me nervous (unless I was holding it and babying it through the process). Very happy with the case at the purchase price - but full price would be harder to swallow! Hope it helps!

Jack
20140311_153405_Richtone(HDR).jpg
20140311_153002_Richtone(HDR).jpg
20140311_152934.jpg
20140311_153032_Richtone(HDR).jpg
20140311_153137_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

AMG_Roadster

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: Case Thoughts: Zenus AVOC Diary Case Cover

Is it too much to ask for a real leather case? To be honest I am not overly thrilled with any of the case options for the tablet.

Nice home screen by the way. What are you using?

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Case Thoughts: Zenus AVOC Diary Case Cover

Is it too much to ask for a real leather case? To be honest I am not overly thrilled with any of the case options for the tablet.

Nice home screen by the way. What are you using?

Dashclock and beautiful calendar I think :)

Posted via Android Central App

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Beautiful leather (simulated?) on outside, but the GREEN on inside... Makes my eye hurt.... A soft tan/brown color in inside would have been more appropriate....

I found a real leather Messenger Bag at yard sale for $1 that so far that beats any case I have seen out there... Allows me to carry charger and a few other things (OGT cable) and I don't have to constantly be holding it in my hand or worry where I laid tablet down... Great for check-outs when shopping... Don't see the love affair with a folder/case.... Only thing positive about a case would being able to activate Daynotes, and will bet there will be a app soon to do that...

Dale

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38