Cracked Front Glass

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
SO the unfortunate happened, I droped my tablet a week or so ago and cracked front glass, digitizer is good but new glass comes fused to digitizer as a unit, so both get changed out, no problem. LCD screen behind digitizer is good.......

But how did you deal with it?.. Did you..

1. Buy parts online and fix it yourself.

2. Send it to Samsung and let them do it...

3. Find competent local shop..

4. Find competent repair service online and send it to them...

Dale

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The only time I've cracked a screen on a phone, I sent it in for repair. I'm not handy with repairs and having someone else (qualified someone else, BTW) do it means that if THEY screw it up, they'd replace my device, not me.

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Just a update..... In case any body has this problem, the front glass and digitizer are one unit and it is glues to face of LCD display... And does not separate well.... "Practical" solution is to replace whole unit (digitizer + LCD screen) as one unit.... Waiting for replacement parts now so repair shop can complete repairs....

Will update when I get tablet back into my possession...

Dale

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Assuming that you don't damage anything while you're replacing the screen, you'll save a little bit over having a good local shop replace the glass and digitizer. And having a good relationship with a local shop can come in handy - like when a "repair" just takes a few button pushes and they'll do it for you, or you need a part and they have a damaged phone of the same model and will swap parts with you for a few bucks.

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I was going to go that route, but found out it is more complex then it initially appeared, decided to bite the bullet and have it professionally done..... Don't believe everything you see in YouTube videos...

Dale

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
FINALLY HAVE IT BACK!!!!!!!!!.....YEAH!!!!!...

Long story short after Chinese supplier (through Amazon) didn't send replacement screen for 3 weeks we checked on screen and it was "back ordered", thanks for the e-mail guys.... Ordered from US based supplier that said it was "in stock" that ships same day if ordered before 4:00 pm.... Well NOT, took 6 day to get shipped..... Finally get new digitizer/LCD screen in hand and repair shop finds out it has lost the "home" button... Another week.... Get it finally together and one of the ribbon cable is bad, another week... Got it back yesterday, and fellow who was doing the work only charged me for parts (not home button) and no labor... IT works and is clear and bright and as good as new (I think) as far as screen.... BUT after all this time off charger there seems to be a battery issue.... Drops almost 20% in first hour of being on..... Seems a little fast... Will monitor and log battery time....

Moral of story, be careful who you have do repairs (not that my guy was bad) and maybe if you seriously damage yours just get new one...

Dale

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Finally get new digitizer/LCD screen in hand and repair shop finds out it has lost the "home" button... Another week.... Get it finally together and one of the ribbon cable is bad, another week... Got it back yesterday, and fellow who was doing the work only charged me for parts (not home button) and no labor....
I'm curious how much you paid for this LCD+ Touchscreen ?

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Best price was $189 plus shipping (without having to order from China) ........ Worst price was $349 plus shipping...Do your shopping carefully...

Dale

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Already read your posts on battery connectors.... IF I have to I can do the clean/solder thing..... Today after a 24 hour float charge it was only down about 10% after first hour, but I did not have it on much today.....

Dale

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Believe me, battery quick discharge is common seen in Samsung tablets, especially with models have battery connector near the center. Problem starts from there but it's beyond the scope of most average users.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
and fellow who was doing the work only charged me for parts (not home button) and no labor
Now you know where there's an honest repair shop near you. Throwing out any dumb phones? Give them to him. Establish a relationship.

BUT after all this time off charger there seems to be a battery issue.... Drops almost 20% in first hour of being on..... Seems a little fast... Will monitor and log battery time....
Full charge with the tablet off, use it until the phone tells you to recharge it, then full charge, etc., for 3 full cycles, should bring it back to snuff Then try to never let it get below 40%. (The Care and Feeding of Lithium Polymer Batteries)