good Heimdall flashing tutorial?

lesonyrra

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site
Hi --

I posted here

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...re-between-rooted-not-rooted.html#post5746609

about my woes being stuck between rooted and not-rooted on my Galaxy Note 10.1 2014. I'd like to flash a stock ROM (4.4.2) to my tablet and start fresh.

I'm a Linux guy so using Heimdall is the way to go for me. I tried following a tutorial I found online but I got to the flashing stage and the files I found in the .md5.zip file I downloaded didn't match what the tutorial said I'd find, so I wasn't sure what to do.

I wound up having to pull the battery, which was kind of a pain since Samsung makes the tablet a little cruddy to open. I know I can avoid this need in the future by confirming the files are as expected BEFORE dropping into download mode.

Does anyone know of a GOOD tutorial for flashing using Heimdall? I don't know that the one I followed was necessarily "bad," but the English wasn't great & it wasn't always clear to me what was going on.

I suppose I could just Google this some more, but I'm hoping someone has done this and can share their instructions. :)

Thanks,

Glenn

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
It would help if you posted the tutorial you used, just to save repetition. But even then, what about reading through the tutorial you did use and download the required files it's based on. Or if that's not an option, try using whichever archiving utility your distro defaults on and repackaging the files you do have (un-compress the zip file, re-compress to the necessary archive file format), or it might even be a matter of just opening the zip and the needed file is already there.

lesonyrra

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site
Apologies, it took me a while to find the thing again:

Flashing Android Stock ROM On Linux With No ODIN | Lazy Shaver

... the problem I had was that when I unzipped the file I downloaded, I did not have the files s/he shows in the graphic. The files there are

• boot.bin
  • cache.img
  • factoryfs.img
  • hidden.img
  • modem.bin
  • param.lfs
  • Sbl.bin
  • zImage

where as when I unzipped everything, I had

• SS_DL.dll
  • boot.img
  • cache.img
  • hidden.img
  • recovery.img
  • sboot.bin
  • system.img

... and I wasn't comfortable trying to map from one to the other. Which was the .img file to use, in my case? That was the question.

Glenn

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Puzzled by that SS_DL.dll file, guessing that's a Samsung driver? Anyway, the wording in that link you posted is a bit off but I'm wondering where did you download your stock ROM file from? You might want to try re-downloading it again, and be absolutely sure you're getting the exact one for your specific model. There's no mix-and-matching. Sammobile is a good source but their download servers are set to a very low bandwidth:
https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/search/galaxy note 10.1/
You might want to use updato instead:
Download Firmware – Samsung Update

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't have experience with Heimdall but make double sure you have the correct OS to download AND verify the checksum before using.