Noob to tethering, can somone tell me how to set it up?

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
After seeing some posts on here, I wanted to see if I can get my GN tethered to my Galaxy S lll phone with Jelly Bean. I'm on verizon and want to try it. Also, I'm not a heavy data user, will Verizon know about it and charge me? I have no clue what to do to set it up. I found an app in the play store called Fattin/Hotspot toggle widget and loaded it on my GS lll phone with Jellybean. I also loaded it on my GN tablet. Can you tell me what to do next? I have no idea if I turn off WiFi on the tablet or keep it on, I'm trying at home so can't really tell if it's working through the tether or the Wifi at home. So if someone can give me a step by step instruction on how to get it working between the two or guide me to a link on how to do it, I'd reallyappreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

Raymond Tan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Foxfi for your phone. Pdanet(tablet) on your tablet. You can then connect via wifi or blutooth. You should be fine with Verizon unless you start using massive amounts of data.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Raymond Tan. I just got my BT Keyboard case and now I can go more mobile with my GN tablet. It worked just the way you said to set it up. I don't use a lot of data like I said, but helps if I need to connect to internet on the go. Appreciate the help.

bluzman

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Raymond Tan. I just got my BT Keyboard case and now I can go more mobile with my GN tablet. It worked just the way you said to set it up. I don't use a lot of data like I said, but helps if I need to connect to internet on the go. Appreciate the help.
Just a reminder...the latest FREE version of Foxfi has time limitations. Apparently it will only work for a specified period (30 minutes?) and then you have to re-start it.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
That works for me at the moment, bluzman. If I find I'm using it more, I'll pay for the premium. At least I know it works now.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
If you want to do it for free, then root your phone and install WiFi Tether (which is totally free). You don't need to install anything on your tablet. You run WiFi Tether on your phone and your tablet will then detect it just like it would detect any other WiFi Access Point. In WiFi Tether, you can configure WPA or WEP security, if you want it (recommended).

Look in the forum for your phone, here or on xda-developers.com to find out how to root your phone.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
ps. CAN Verizon tell if you are doing this? Yes. It doesn't matter whether you use WiFi Tether or PDANet. If they want to look into the details of the data you're streaming back and forth, they definitely CAN tell that you're tethering. However, they've never charged me for it, nor my brother, who does the same thing. I think the key is to not be ridiculous with the amount of data that you use. I suspect that they focus their attention on the top few % of data consumers, so if you stick to normal, reasonable amount of data, they'll probably never bother you. For normal/reasonable, all I can say is that I've used 2GB a few times and 3GB once (on my Unlimited Plan). My brother regularly uses 6 - 8GBs. But, I've seen posts from some people claiming to regularly use over 20GB a month.

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I have a question please...I am rooted with WiFi Tether and my laptop and another S3 cannot see or recognize the tether.....any suggestions on settings or something else to fix issue?
Thank you.

Scooter04

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm using foxfi on a motorola droid 4 phone. Open up foxfi after installing and just tap on the "activate wifi hotspot." The phone starts the hotspot and a little wifi signal shows up on my phone. On the tablet you can go into settings, and wifi is the first thing listed at the top. On the right side you should see something like "foxfi45" listed as an available network. Even if you are currently connected to a network it should show up. Touch the name of the network and then touch "connect." Mine connects with no issues and gives internet access.

I only use it to grab email or get on the net briefly so i dont hit any time issues with free version. I also have unlimited data, so i dont know of issues with plans in regard to usage. When I'm done I uncheck the "wifi hotspot" on my phone. Thats about it. Maybe i'm lucky as i have read other people having issues.