External hard drive, external power, USB 2.0...

phamann

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi There,

So it's finaly time for me to get alot of my media onto a single external volume for use on the road and so I am shopping for an external hard drive in the 500g to 1tb range that will function with my GN 10.1. I have learned that I need to format in FAT32 (I don't want to root), that it needs to be USB 2.0 ( GN 10.1 USB is 2.0) so I will need to find an external drive that is externaly powered.

Having figured all of that out, I am having a **** of a time finding an external drive that meets those requirements!

USB 2.0
External power source
"Small" form factor (3" x 5" approx)

Is anyone out there using such a thing currently? Without rooting?

Ready to start processing massive qty's of images and docs but need to get my data on the road first!

Thanks!

Pete

drzeus_gr

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I seem to remember that USB 3.0 is required to be backward compatible with USB 2.0, so I would think a USB 3.0 HD should work fine. I know all my USB 2 pen drives all work OK on my very old 1.1 pc, the data transfer is just a bit slower.

drzeus_gr

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
That's a great recommendation, thanks for that. I have heard a lot of good things about the Passport series. But the only WD drive I ever had died very quickly, many years ago. I have been after an ext HDD myself but hesitant to make a choice. When you need one for back up, it ain't no use if it dies before the one you back up from. Looks like I will go one after all.

ilgal

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Rereading your requirements list - the Passports are only USB powered - they don't have a power brick. I have never tried hooking it up to my Note so I don't know if the Note has enough juice to power it?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo