Need to learn about pdf downloading from websites -Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0

JoyMarieGos

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi there!

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me understand what could be going wrong here, and if there were a way to fix it, I'd be grateful for your insights. I'll describe the issue first, then specs below, if that's helpful.

So...

Can't download pdf's. For instance, say, the pdf on my local ymca's website that should, and used to, when clicked, show a box at the bottom of the page that says "starting download..." and an arrow pointing downward would appear in the top info bar. Now, while I can still download apps, attachments from emails, etc., I can't get the darn updated pool schedule for lap swim... and I'm a bit cranky about that. Anywho, when clicked, it will show the box ("strtng dwnld"), then it starts to open a new tab in the browser (either chrome or explorer) which immediately closes. And that's it. Hitting the menu button to view downloads shows a "no downloads" message.

(Please note that I am not that tech savvy-- I'm computer literate and am great at following instructions though! )

I have a Samsung galaxy note, it's a tablet with the S pen. When I enter the unit's model number, I can't find any more than one post on this site. I also don't see the 8.0 listed under the samsung android tablets heading here either. I've got to be getting something wrong, and I thank you in advance for your patience with me being a newbie to this stuff.

GT-N5110NKYXAR is what I found as a unit model. It's the black/brown one (haha not that it helps inform you, but because I hope someone goes, "oh! THAT one!"

Any insights are greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time! And any follow up questions will be responded to asap.

Thank you! Joy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Does it only happen with that particular PDF, or with any PDF that you try to download on Chrome or the Samsung browser?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
In addition to B. Diddy's question, if you've installed the Adobe Reader app, uninstall it and see if that fixes the problem — or, conversely, install it and see what happens. It looks like this issue is similar, you might try following some of the advice in that thread.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Even a different PDF viewer might help. Kingsoft office is free on Play and can view many different formats.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

JoyMarieGos

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Oh crud, I'm blushing blue right now. Thank you for your responses. Diddy, Patrick, Golfdriver-- I realized that while I couldn't do this in either browser while at Dunkin or other hotspots, I hadn't tried here at home! Chrome did it! But thanks anyhow. I'm still glad I found this community, you guys modeled the positivity, helpfulness, and swift responses I saw in the other threads I had viewed. Hope you're not too frustrated. :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Not at all, glad it worked! I'm a bit puzzled as to why it wouldn't download at Dunkin Donuts though (excuse me for a second--mmmmm, donuts ...), while it worked at home.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Not at all, glad it worked! I'm a bit puzzled as to why it wouldn't download at Dunkin Donuts though (excuse me for a second--mmmmm, donuts ...), while it worked at home.

If I had to guess, some kind of security protocol. Either that or whoever set up the router was dumb...lol

Oh crud, I'm blushing blue right now. Thank you for your responses. Diddy, Patrick, Golfdriver-- I realized that while I couldn't do this in either browser while at Dunkin or other hotspots, I hadn't tried here at home! Chrome did it! But thanks anyhow. I'm still glad I found this community, you guys modeled the positivity, helpfulness, and swift responses I saw in the other threads I had viewed. Hope you're not too frustrated. :)

That is what we are here for. Just remember 2 things: The only dumb question is the one you don't ask, and ignore anyone who is brash or offers no helpful suggestions.