Iris scanner?

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm a huge fan of the Iris scanner. I use it with Samsung pay, for Samsung pass password auto fill, and to unlock my phone. As nice as the punch hole look may be, I'm really against the idea of removing the Iris scanner. Has anyone heard if the Note 10 will have the Iris scanner still? It's surprisingly more critical to me than I would've originally thought.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm a huge fan of the Iris scanner. I use it with Samsung pay, for Samsung pass password auto fill, and to unlock my phone. As nice as the punch hole look may be, I'm really against the idea of removing the Iris scanner. Has anyone heard if the Note 10 will have the Iris scanner still? It's surprisingly more critical to me than I would've originally thought.
All signs point to it being removed. So you have to decide if you're still going to buy it since it won't have one.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Nope. Won't even take a free one
I'm not a Note fan but I'd still take a free one....lol

I was almost ready to jump on a great deal on a used Note 9 back in March but instead hoped on a great deal for a brand new S10 plus 512GB ceramic model. It's been a good experience so far.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a Note fan but I'd still take a free one....lol

I was almost ready to jump on a great deal on a used Note 9 back in March but instead hoped on a great deal for a brand new S10 plus 512GB ceramic model. It's been a good experience so far.

Unfortunately, the S10 series removed features that I find very useful and then added features that I find more gimmicky. The Note 10 has expanded upon those negatives.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately, the S10 series removed features that I find very useful and then added features that I find more gimmicky. The Note 10 has expanded upon those negatives.
Unfortunately, many design changes are not made for the right reasons. It seems that form over function is the trend.

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately, many design changes are not made for the right reasons. It seems that form over function is the trend.

It's OPEN SEASON right now for gimmickry in the smartphone industry. All the flagships will come with the latest SD processor, similar battery capacity and design. OEMs are using gimmicks to distinguish their product from the rest. Sadly, they're not improving the essentials.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
It's OPEN SEASON right now for gimmickry in the smartphone industry. All the flagships will come with the latest SD processor, similar battery capacity and design. OEMs are using gimmicks to distinguish their product from the rest. Sadly, they're not improving the essentials.

Agreed. The charging gimmick is only going to be useful for people who use a lot of Samsung products.

I moved back to Android Wear and I couldn't be happier with my Ticwatch Pro. I have had so many problems with Samsung headphones that they might as well not make headphones as far as I am concerned.

I would much rather have the fps there. It's a lot less inconvenient.

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. The charging gimmick is only going to be useful for people who use a lot of Samsung products.

I moved back to Android Wear and I couldn't be happier with my Ticwatch Pro. I have had so many problems with Samsung headphones that they might as well not make headphones as far as I am concerned.

I would much rather have the fps there. It's a lot less inconvenient.

45 watt charging is a major improvement.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
You'd rather have to pick-up your phone every time you unlock it?

Um, that is how I unlock my phone.

That particular benefit of a front fps is something that I have found useful in only a very few specific instances. Car dock mostly, maybe when I get out of the shower, but not a majority of my interactions.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
A major improvement that is only available for an additional cost.

I would rather be able to have a secure method of unlocking my phone with my face than charging it very quickly.

The things you're complaining about all over the place really seem to be more personal preference than anything. You'd rather use the Iris scanner, I couldn't care less about it.

If you don't like the note 10 that's totally fine, don't buy it. Problem solved

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
The things you're complaining about all over the place really seem to be more personal preference than anything. You'd rather use the Iris scanner, I couldn't care less about it.

Yeah, cause iris scanning ain't coming back lol. My guess is they'll eventually come out with some type of face scanning thing, but we're probably going to have to wait until at least the S11 for that.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, cause iris scanning ain't coming back lol. My guess is they'll eventually come out with some type of face scanning thing, but we're probably going to have to wait until at least the S11 for that.

What I'm wondering is: why doesn't the front facing ToF sensor allow for a Samsung version of FaceID, i.e. a fully secure facial recognition that can't be fooled by a high res photo?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Never liked the Iris scanner, it was always inconsistent for me. Something like face id is so much better and glad Google is doing that with Pixel 4. Samsung probably aren't with their focus on full screen with minimal bezel.

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
For people who like the Iris scanner, there should be face scanner which would be very similar to the convenience but a little less secure. I use intelligent scan which might as well be face only scan. I don't think Iris scanner will be missed if you don't mind the less secure face scan unlock feature.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
For people who like the Iris scanner, there should be face scanner which would be very similar to the convenience but a little less secure. I use intelligent scan which might as well be face only scan. I don't think Iris scanner will be missed if you don't mind the less secure face scan unlock feature.

If it is the face scanner from the S10 series, then it isn't secure at all. The Note 9 already has an intelligent scan setting, so is it different?

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site

And the same thing applies to the fps configuration as well.