does anyone use the samsung email app over gmail app

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I use multiple phones and devices, and Gmail app works great for me. For me none of the Samsung apps adds any value, I use apps and services like that from Google and microsoft which are available across all devices/platforms unlike Samsung specific ones only available to Samsung. May be I'm a nice case
You don't really use the Samsung apps to replace your services it's just another option to use with your services for a more "cohesive" experience throughout Samsung's UI.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You don't really use the Samsung apps to replace your services it's just another option to use with your services for a more "cohesive" experience throughout Samsung's UI.
Yeah the more cohesive experience **FOR ME** is using the same apps and services across all my phones. For example Gmail, Outlook, Google photos, Google calendar, OneNote, keep and many other similar apps on my Note, iPhone, Pixel or any other phone I have. I never bother with using Samsung only, iPhone only apps for example and I understand why many use them but for me it doesn't work.

Last edited:

stuckingoo

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Unless I'm missing a setting Gmail doesn't allow you to default to a unified mailbox. Not in Android it does in iOS. For that reason alone I use something else. Bluemail. I haven't tried the Samsung app lately. Last time I did it seemed to want to sync with every opening and took too much time to do its business.

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Wait, the Samsung email app follows the same themes you install on your phone, including a dark theme? Have they added a “delete” and “mark as read” option from the notification pull down?

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
To be honest. I use neither. I use Outlook. It allows me to access my company email (Google) and my college email (Exchange), and my email (Outlook). The only downside is that it doesn't use the the phone's theme.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
I never liked the gmail so if it is the choice between the two, I will use Samsungs Email. I used to but now I use Newton since it has an alexa skill that reads all of my emails no matter who I have an account with.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
Pull down the notification bar. On the right you will see the power button icon and a gear. Pull the navigation bar down again. Now you should see the 3 dots to the right of the gear. Click the 3 dots and the click "Status bar". There you can enable the battery percentage.

thanks for that, could not find it either and really missed it.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I bgg use Bluemail, an email app that I really enjoy its quick and has some nice features and a nice layout.

Work email is the Microsoft Outlook app.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
In my opinion as far as business/work emails app go Microsoft Outlook is the undisputed king, especially after the UI overhaul.

As for Samsung mail vs Gmail, I prefer Gmail as it seems more thought out and colourful. The promotions are quite annoying, although to be fair the AI does its best to sort them into ‘promotions’, spam etc. Samsung’s mail app is competent but for me struggles to stand out.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
I started to use both when ingot my first Samsung Device with the Note7. Then I realized it was kind of redundant to use them at the same time as well as BlackBerry Hub, which is what I was using before I moved to Android. I still only use BlackBerry Hub.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Outlook email app lately myself. I rather like the "Focused" and "Other" tabs that help to filter out important emails versus other stuff. The problem with having too many email apps is that I get crazy redundant notifications for the same emails on both my phone and smartwatch...duh! So I've had to disable alerts from various apps that perform the same email function.

mach1man

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
So I loaded my gmail account into the samsung email app and instantly had 1000 emails! The reason I had 1000 unread emails is bc with the gmail app it sorts out my primary emails like bills and actual info from the promotions and ads. So I never see the Junk ads/promos that stores send me, and my primary main stuff is always read and cleared. Is there a way to have the samsung email app follow this? I could care less about the junk/promos but I dont want to get 100 plus email notifications a day when its 99% junk

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I use the factory app, Gmail and Outlook for different acct's I prefer to keep separate (I realize I can use one app for all even separate but I don't care for the aggregate inbox concept)

Cheers,
BR

LuckiestLiz

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
So I loaded my gmail account into the samsung email app and instantly had 1000 emails! The reason I had 1000 unread emails is bc with the gmail app it sorts out my primary emails like bills and actual info from the promotions and ads. So I never see the Junk ads/promos that stores send me, and my primary main stuff is always read and cleared. Is there a way to have the samsung email app follow this? I could care less about the junk/promos but I dont want to get 100 plus email notifications a day when its 99% junk

I know Outlook does it easily, "focused" inbox vs other. Then set notification for focused only. It works well with a little bit of training I find. I do not recall a setting like that on the default Samsung email app, but I haven't used it in a year now due to serious synch issues with my personal account (which, despite not being a Microsoft account, works seamlessly with Outlook).

one0one951

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Wait, the Samsung email app follows the same themes you install on your phone, including a dark theme? Have they added a “delete” and “mark as read” option from the notification pull down?

I'm not positive about how the theming works but light/dark mode definitely does. The "delete" option appears in the pulldown after you uncheck the "confirm deletions" toggle in the options menu.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non