Your phone's temperature is too low...

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Just got my Note 10 Plus yesterday.
Love it overall save a few small issues.

The biggest issue is I keep getting a message that says:

"Your phone's temperature is too low. Charging will continue when the temperature returns to normal"

It won't charge on the wireless pad or by the charger that it came with. I also tried charging on my 45W charger I bought for it. So the charger doesn't seem to matter.

I have it plugged in at work and it gave me that message then after a few minutes I heard the charge beep. It charged for a min then that message popped up again.

Rebooting fixes it for a little while but it just does it again soon thereafter.

Obviously I just got it and just started using it. What does that message mean and how do I fix it? :)

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I would look up how to get in to diagnostics and run a test on all hardware, just in case it a faulty temperature sensor think you're on the North Pole

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Never seen that warning before. Got heat and moisture warnings a few times through the years, but not a too cold one yet.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Never seen that warning before. Got heat and moisture warnings a few times through the years, but not a too cold one yet.
It's not good to charge a Li-ion battery if it's frozen, which is why that warning exists.

I'd personally first try it with the phone shut off, to eliminate any app conflicts. If it works, then try safe mode. If that doesn't work, or it works when off only, then try a factory reset. This may work, but my suspicions are a hardware defect. May as well do this anyway, because customer service will likely want you to do one to try diagnosing the problem before sending it in.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It was like that right out of the box, or did it only start today? If it started today, is there any chance any water got into the phone? I recall seeing this issue crop up a lot for previous Samsung phones when there was water damage of the charging port.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I just got it yesterday. No water or other damage.

Can someone with a Note 10 Plus do me a favor and install this app and tell me if it "sees" a battery temp sensor? Mine just says N/A when I select it.

Or any app that displays the data. Please just let me know which one you try so I can directly compare.

Edit: Okay this is weird..While testing again for this post I now see a temperature with that app. First time it did not say N/a...So this is hardware not working correctly. I would still like to see your temps. Mine is now saying 91.4F. Battery is at 71%

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ssaurel.thermometer&hl=en_US

Last edited:

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
in the phone dialler try and put in *#0*# and see if it brings up diagnostic tool to test hardware components

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
in the phone dialler try and put in *#0*# and see if it brings up diagnostic tool to test hardware components

Hi, thanks for the info. i did that but the battery temp sensor is not included in those tests.

I am charging it now as the sensor is working at the moment. Really strange. Maybe it needed woken up or something heheh :)

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I would test this out in safe mode ..

i did, that was one of the things Samsung tech support asked me to do.
I was also getting that message in safe mode.

However, as I mentioned above, it seems to all of a sudden be working...
We will see if it stays that way! :)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
i did, that was one of the things Samsung tech support asked me to do.
I was also getting that message in safe mode.

However, as I mentioned above, it seems to all of a sudden be working...
We will see if it stays that way! :)
Gotcha, yeah keep a eye in it , if it appears again try factory reset before calling Samsung for warranty.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Gotcha, yeah keep a eye in it , if it appears again try factory reset before calling Samsung for warranty.

Thanks, i appreciate the help.

Man factory resetting is such a pain. having to set everything up again etc.. Hate to do that to then just get it replaced and do it all again! :)

Then if it does work can you trust it if it is flaky hardware etc...

I just find it weird that it all of a sudden started working. That is not normal. :)

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like an intermittent problem. I would keep looking for the problem. I'm guessing the temp circuit is having an intermittent open or ground causing the reading to spike to maximum or minimum which causes the message. Chances are at some point it will get worse. Better to get ahead of it if you can rather then have a complete charge failure when it's least convenient. IMHO.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like an intermittent problem. I would keep looking for the problem. I'm guessing the temp circuit is having an intermittent open or ground causing the reading to spike to maximum or minimum which causes the message. Chances are at some point it will get worse. Better to get ahead of it if you can rather then have a complete charge failure when it's least convenient. IMHO.

Think I should get it replaced regardless or only if it does it again?
That is my current dellima. :)

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site

I would try and get it replaced. If they'll do it now, great. If they need more proof, I'd try and find some. Or at least try and make it more repeatable. Mind you that the temp sensor may be seeing the incorrect value often, but the message may only come up if you're trying to charge. Bring able to log the temp data passively would be ideal as you can just check the data once a day and look for erroneous values. Not sure if there are apps that can help with that.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Personally I would email, online chat, or whatever with your carrier or Samsung (depending on who would handle your warranty claim) and explain that this is an intermittent problem. If they let you exchange it, cool. If not, I wouldn't worry too much yet. I wouldn't call or talk to anyone in person for this, as you'll want this documented in writing. That way, if it becomes worse or happens after the factory warranty expires, you can show proof that the problem was initially reported when the phone was new. This may be able to convince them to let you warranty it after it's expired, due to not being allowed in the warranty period.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Personally I would email, online chat, or whatever with your carrier or Samsung (depending on who would handle your warranty claim) and explain that this is an intermittent problem. If they let you exchange it, cool. If not, I wouldn't worry too much yet. I wouldn't call or talk to anyone in person for this, as you'll want this documented in writing. That way, if it becomes worse or happens after the factory warranty expires, you can show proof that the problem was initially reported when the phone was new. This may be able to convince them to let you warranty it after it's expired, due to not being allowed in the warranty period.

Since I just got it I have 14 days to return and I believe exchange.
So far so good.

CKwik240 I am trying that app now. See if it goes down to 0 again over time. If so I will exchange it or sure.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty