Declined on trade in because of BS reason that simply isn't true

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
My pixel 3xl was in beta so I rolled back to offical version , it factory reset the device but I went through the wizard set up process up to use your Google account and said lock , I then enter my credentials and from there perform erase and factory reset which was fine afterwards.

Yes as mentioned in my earlier post the only time I have seen ask for Google password is when the factory reset happens after opting out of beta. Probably it asks in situations where the factory reset was not triggered manually from the setting - factory reset menu.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes as mentioned in my earlier post the only time I have seen ask for Google password is when the factory reset happens after opting out of beta. Probably it asks in situations where the factory reset was not triggered manually from the setting - factory reset menu.
Yes ..like in recovery and beta

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes recommended and doesn't hurt removing the account first but not mandatory as some people here make it look like.

Agreed -- but in these situations where users are realizing that their phone actually wasn't factory reset when they went through the process, then something like this must be going on. (Either that, or the user is misremembering and didn't actually do the factory reset, which seems less likely.)

It's also worth pointing out that Samsung has its own kind of factory reset protection as well called Reactivation Lock: www.samsung.com/au/support/mobile-devices/what-is-samsung-reactivation-lock/. This wouldn't matter to the OP, who was trading in a Pixel, but for the majority of Android users with a Samsung phone, it's an important thing to remember as well.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Agreed -- but in these situations where users are realizing that their phone actually wasn't factory reset when they went through the process, then something like this must be going on. (Either that, or the user is misremembering and didn't actually do the factory reset, which seems less likely.)

It's also worth pointing out that Samsung has its own kind of factory reset protection as well called Reactivation Lock: www.samsung.com/au/support/mobile-devices/what-is-samsung-reactivation-lock/. This wouldn't matter to the OP, who was trading in a Pixel, but for the majority of Android users with a Samsung phone, it's an important thing to remember as well.

Yes and that's the reason it asks for your Samsung password when you factory reset from the settings menu. On Samsung phone I need to first enter my device pin/password and after that it asks my Samsung account password. At least it does for me

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
No I do this all the time and never have removed the account manually. Never had a problem and the same article makes it clear as well. It's not like I'm new to resetting the phone

If it doesn't work for others I'm not arguing just stating what works for me. On Samsung phones when I do get factory reset it asks for device password followed by Samsung account password. After that everything is removed. For Pixel, it asks for device password and after that everything is removed.
I do it all the time too. It's like I'm new to resetting a phone either. There have been issues with not removing the account first regardless of what you have experienced.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The Pixel 3XL I sent in asked me for a pin prior to performing the reset and I factory reset from within.
In any event, this doesn't seem to be the OP's issue.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The Pixel 3XL I sent in asked me for a pin prior to performing the reset and I factory reset from within.
Yes that's the expected behavior, it'll ask for your device pin/password once you click factory reset. No one is arguing about that. Once you put in your pin/password it'll remove all your accounts, data and what not. After that your phone is good to go for anyone new to set up.

My point was after factory reset is complete it'll not ask for Google password when you factory reset from settings menu and didn't remove your Google account before factory reset. It'll only ask if the factory reset was triggered by unenroll beta, recovery and other means outside of the settings menu factory reset.

Does it hurt to remove the accounts before you do factory reset? No.

Is it mandatory to remove the Google account before factory reset from settings menu? No

Is it recommended? Sure why not, doesn't hurt in any way.

Also, yes this doesn't help OP in anyway. I'll stop it

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
My pixel 3xl was in beta so I rolled back to offical version , it factory reset the device but I went through the wizard set up process up to use your Google account and said lock , I then enter my credentials and from there perform erase and factory reset which was fine afterwards.

Mine was in beta as well, just removed my account, unenrolled from the program, reset and sent it in. Thankfully they accepted it, but it was still on the beta software.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Mine was in beta as well, just removed my account, unenrolled from the program, reset and sent it in. Thankfully they accepted it, but it was still on the beta software.

They are not smart enough to check all those. If they can get in the phone you should be good to go

kbboykin2

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Visit site
Typically, when I do a factory reset before a trade-in, I let the reset finish and wait for the phone to reboot and show the Setup Wizard screen. I'm pretty sure that as long as you see that show up, your Google account has been properly removed.

It's true that most articles for current phones say that doing a factory reset through the Settings>Backup menu should automatically remove your Google account as well, but I can still find some official support pages that recommend the user manually remove their account first, like this one: [URL="https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?link=https%3A%2F%2Fshop-links.co%2Flink%2F%3Fexclusive%3D1%26publisher_slug%3Dfuture%26article_name%3Dac-vb-p-6631457%26u1%3DUUacUvbUpU6631457%26url%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.samsung.com%252Fuk%252Fsupport%252Fmobile-devices%252Fhow-do-i-perform-factory-reset-on-my-mobile-device%252F%2522&token=yu6eGEF2]www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-do-i-perform-factory-reset-on-my-mobile-device/[/URL]. In general, to be safe, I would still recommend this approach.

This is what I did for my Note 8 (FR and rebooted to Set up Screen) and Sammy notified me that my Trade-In was accepted

james702283

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I reset my note 9 in recovery mode because it failed in the regular settings, rebooted and was in device set up. It should be fine right?

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
If you went to the settings-reset-factory data reset it should ask for your device password and after that it should automatically remove all accounts, data basically factory reset as it's called.
This is what happened to me. I chose to remove it all and it reset.

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Never heard of Factory Reset Protection and have never logged out on any of my phones since Nexus One, never had any issues. I call BS on this

Logging out is done for your personal protection. Or you can unauthorize your previous devices from google website

Exactly. I did remove all pin protection from phone.
But when I factory reset, that's it. Never have I removed my accounts before factory reset.
Never was an issue to me.

OP
Load that up again. Double check the accounts if that's what they were complaining about and send it back in with a letter attached.
Always some BS with them rich sobs.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You don't need to go to accounts in settings to remove them when you go settings to do factory reset it will say remove all accounts proceed with the factory reset . This is the proper way ..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87