Time is money so everybody is buying a 45w charger (vs stock 25w charger)?

Will you be getting a 45w charger or sticking with the 25w stock?

• Total voters

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I would wait and let someone else be that guinea pig, then find out if it not only charges faster, but fast enough to justify the price tag. If it hypothetically only saves 5 minutes on your charge time, is it really worth $50 to you?

It should be 80 percent faster through most of the SOC under ideal conditions. I'd expect it to be about the same for the last 10 percent or so though as the physics of the battery would be the biggest limitation. The best use case may be for a quick top up from a low to mid SOC. Typing to the last 10 percent probably won't provide much benefit, if it all.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It should be 80 percent faster through most of the SOC under ideal conditions. I'd expect it to be about the same for the last 10 percent or so though as the physics of the battery would be the biggest limitation. The best use case may be for a quick top up from a low to mid SOC. Typing to the last 10 percent probably won't provide much benefit, if it all.
Have you seen any info on the maximum charging ability of the Note 10's? Only once have I seen a phone accept more than the stock charger (the LG G4 was QC2.0 compatible, but was shipped with a standard charger). I'd doubt the Note 10 would accept a faster charge, even if you plugged in a 200W rated charger, as it's the phone that determines the maximum charging rate. I could be wrong, but that's why I said I'd let someone else speed that money and test it.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
One additional thought. My work laptop came with a 65 Watt PD charger. I've used it a couple times on my Note 9. Once during a long afternoon meeting where I knew I would be going out afterwards. Another time, I took my work laptop to log into a meeting from a hotel during a personal trip and totally forgot my USB C cable. While I didn't need fast charging of any kind for my trip, it was kind of handy to be able to do this. With the Note 10 though, it should charge much faster. I didn't test the Note 9's speeds, but it seemed on par with Quick Charge speeds.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Have you seen any info on the maximum charging ability of the Note 10's? Only once have I seen a phone accept more than the stock charger (the LG G4 was QC2.0 compatible, but was shipped with a standard charger). I'd doubt the Note 10 would accept a faster charge, even if you plugged in a 200W rated charger, as it's the phone that determines the maximum charging rate. I could be wrong, but that's why I said I'd let someone else speed that money and test it.

It's supposedly capable of 45 Watts through a PD charger. So of you plugged into a charger greater than or equal to 45 Watts, it should charge at 45 Watts when it can.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It's supposedly capable of 45 Watts through a PD charger. So of you plugged into a charger greater than or equal to 45 Watts, it should charge at 45 Watts when it can.
Ok. I'd still let someone else try it first and see what the real world change in charging times are.

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
I generally don't have much issue with ending up on the low end of my battery's SOC now. So I don't see much need to upgrade my existing hardware so long as I don't run into issues where my usage while charging it's faster than the ability to charge (only tends to come up in the car occasionally). That said, I did order this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B018...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6606910

I have a similar unit by Anker, but with a QC 3.0 port which I use for travel. It reduces much of the clutter of carrying multiple chargers and since I tend to be in and out of my hotel often, it allows me to maximize charge if I need to before I head back out. I usually wireless charger at home as well, but will plug into a QC charger if some plans come up and I want to boost up really quick before I leave. I'll probably leave this new one plugged in at home while I'm not traveling for the same reason, but will not be part of my typical charging process.

To take advantage of Samsung's fast charge, it has to be PD 3.0 like this:

https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Cha...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6606910

Here is info on why:

https://bgr.com/2019/08/15/galaxy-note-10-plus-vs-note-10-45w-battery-charging-speed-explained/

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
So if we buy the new wireless charging base, does the power source it come with charge wirelessly as fast as it will charge, or can we add the 45 watt power source to the wireless charger and charge wirelessly faster?

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok. I'd still let someone else try it first and see what the real world change in charging times are.

That's perfectly reasonable. I went ahead and ordered the 45 Watt multi-port charger since I would want to get one that charges faster then QC2.0, so I might as well Max it out. If it does make a difference, I might consider a 45 Watt charger for the car for times I need to bump up the power quickly in the car. I usually wirelessly charge through my dock.

jadenerd

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Now that I'm using Android Auto, I've made it a habit of plugging into a USB port whenever I'm in the car and I never run out of juice.

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I have to wonder if that 45 watt charger will generate enough heat in the battery to have a detrimental affect on its life.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have to wonder if that 45 watt charger will generate enough heat in the battery to have a detrimental affect on its life.
I would think since they use either 25w or 45w Samsung has tested this extensively. I dont think they want issues.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Time is money but I don't waste time waiting for my phone to charge so why waste money on something that won't benefit me?

My phone is charged once a day on the original wireless charger and I don't find the slow speed to inconvenience me.

notefreak

Trusted Member
Mar 14, 2017
Visit site

This is what I am also worried about. I have to buy another charger anyway so I would be throwing away extra 25$ if it didn't make a big difference in charge speed and can live with that, but if it ruins my phone battery, I won't be happy at all.

Edit: I have ordered 25w one, people seem to be worried 45w would put much stress on the battery. I may still order a 45w one.

Last edited:

mozman

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I would caution that if you buy a 45W charger make sure it's from a reputable brand. With that much power comes great responsibility. You don't want a cheap charger burning up your Note 10.

That said. I have too many chargers QC2 and QC3 chargers. Plus with the included 25W charger I will be ok with slightly slower charging. Been doing it for years, what's another year or 2.

notefreak

Trusted Member
Mar 14, 2017
Visit site
I would caution that if you buy a 45W charger make sure it's from a reputable brand. With that much power comes great responsibility. You don't want a cheap charger burning up your Note 10.

That said. I have too many chargers QC2 and QC3 chargers. Plus with the included 25W charger I will be ok with slightly slower charging. Been doing it for years, what's another year or 2.

I would buy Samsung OEM but I am not sure if I should.

eyedoc2020

May 1, 2017
Visit site
I really don’t get the time is money so I need a 45w charger statement. It isn’t like I plug in my phone and sit there and wait while it charges. I do other things while it charges. Doesn’t affect my day 1 bit.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I would buy Samsung OEM but I am not sure if I should.

No reason not to since the (reputable) third-party chargers are almost as expensive. If Anker had a $15 45W charger I would totally go for that over Samsung OEM. Unfortunately they've only got a 60W charger, it costs almost $45, and it's not clear to me that it would support power delivery 3.0 for the Note 10+.

Also I'll be getting $150 in Samsung credits, so why not?