Carrier Note 2 vs International Unlocked version Note 2

XyhroAndy

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 international / unlocked version. ( Whichever is correct in this case. ) So my question is.. Is there any difference between a carrier based compared to an International version? Like besides the apps the carrier installs on it, I meant like features in the phone.

Hopefully someone can answer this, please and thank you =)

acordo01

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 international / unlocked version. ( Whichever is correct in this case. ) So my question is.. Is there any difference between a carrier based compared to an International version? Like besides the apps the carrier installs on it, I meant like features in the phone.

Hopefully someone can answer this, please and thank you =)

As of right now I think one of the major features that is missing from the carrier versions is the Multi-Window feature. That allows you to run 2 apps side by side on your phone. However, the ATT model and Verizon model are not yet released so they might have it. Won't know for sure until they are released

bblaze

Android Powered Human
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
The international one will be able to be used worldwide as it should support more radio bands than a US based carrier handset (provided you are in the US). Also, a factory unlocked phone can be taken to any carrier that supports the use of a SIM card (AT&T, T-Mobile, Straight Talk, etc.). The unlocked phone will be a higher cost upfront, but will allow for better mobility between carriers. The unlocked phone will also not have the same amount of carrier bloatware that can muck up a good Android experience. Hope that helps.

IBM Kid

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
The international version will get future updates much faster due to no carrier intervention. Just look at the Carrier locked Galaxy S3's. They are still waiting on the update to jelly bean.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Jocelyn84

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
As of right now I think one of the major features that is missing from the carrier versions is the Multi-Window feature. That allows you to run 2 apps side by side on your phone. However, the ATT model and Verizon model are not yet released so they might have it. Won't know for sure until they are released

Sprint is pushing the Multi-Window update over the next 5 days - First software update for Sprint?s Samsung Galaxy Note 2 brings Multi Window View

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

XyhroAndy

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm aware of unlocked phones and using practically any SIM card for it. The rumour of the International version not having Multi Window feature is a big deal to me. I was thinking of buying an international version, until I heard about the same problem again. Also, I'm in Canada, so if anyone heard about the internal features and problems for the Note 2 for Rogers specifically, please let me know.

1string2cups

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
There are 4 international models of the GN2, and approximately a dozen models designed to meet the needs of various network providers around the world.
I believe they have very different radio hardware & I don?t believe that they?re interchangeable (but I?m new to android) ? so don?t flash a rom from N7100 onto an N7105.

Wikipedia has a nice table that explains how they differ:
Samsung Galaxy Note II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I guess the trick is to match the characteristics of the phone radio with the characteristics of the networks you?ll encounter:
e.g. provided you have the right simcard the international N7100 can:
- use 3G data from 4 very common frequency bands (850 MHZ, 900 MHZ, 1900 MHZ, 2100 MH);
- fall back on 2G GSM networks on 4 very common frequency bands (GSM 850, GSM 900, GSM 1800, GSM 1900).
- but doesn?t have the chip to access high speed LTE data.
- I believe that Samsung does the updates for the international phones.
- it?s probably the easiest phone to get software for ? because it?s generic.

If you get a phone from a carrier like T-mobile you benefit by:
- 4g coverage in areas with 700mhz.
- Much faster 3g speeds in areas with 850mhz coverage
But you lose the flexibility of:
- Access to AT&T?s 2100mhz 3G network if you switch companies.
- Have to fall back on really slow 2G coverage in many areas around the world.
- Lose updates from Samsung OTA.

James Miller4

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
international version does have split screen (it can be turned on and off) because it has android 4.1.2 on it now. big difference is N7100 does not have lte or 4g just H+ versus the american version n7105. the updates come quite frequently on the internation version and it is now rumored it will get android 5. My wife has 4g on her att samsung galaxy skyrocket and we do note any difference in speed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty