Storage settings? Miscellaneous files?what 6 gb?

partyman66

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
A decent portion of this space is taken up by Dalvik Cache. When you uninstall programs, the old dalvik cache associated with the uninstalled app usually gets left behind on the system, especially if you are rooted and have deleted a bunch of the built-in system apps.

If you're rooted, you can clean it up by using a root browser and going to the directory: \data\dalvik-cache\arm\ and selectively deleting stuff that you know is no longer installed on your system. Be aware that the names of these files may not associate directly with the name of the app as you refer to it. You need to find the name of the apk file or how the system refers to it and delete the .dex and the .art file associated with that app. After you delete what you want gone, reboot.

You could also just delete everything in that folder and the stuff that is still used/present on your device will get recreated when you reboot the phone. You will see the "Optimizing x apps" message after the boot process begins and it will be generating new cache files for those apps. If you delete all of them, this could take anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes depending on how much is on your phone and how fast the device is in general.

jalenholm

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
Some computation of tallied space seems off, like possibly by a factor of 1000. I have maybe 586 MB of misc. files, but not 5,86Gb.
NO solution here, just lamenting in the same boat. :/

2016-05-05 Gaxaxy S5

Similar problem - "Miscellaneous files" is almost 700 Mb but when I tap it there's less than 70 Mb of total files shown.

FIGURED IT OUT THOUGH - go to the My Files app (should look like a folder) and open it, choose the Device Storage section under Local Storage. There you'll see almost everything taking up that Miscellaneous Files space. Just be careful deleting, but I've been deleting some items and am seeing that Miscellaneous Files allocation shrinking with every deletion.

SabianPearl

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
Similar problem - "Miscellaneous files" is almost 700 Mb but when I tap it there's less than 70 Mb of total files shown.

FIGURED IT OUT THOUGH - go to the My Files app (should look like a folder) and open it, choose the Device Storage section under Local Storage. There you'll see almost everything taking up that Miscellaneous Files space. Just be careful deleting, but I've been deleting some items and am seeing that Miscellaneous Files allocation shrinking with every deletion.

Had similar with a Samsung Galaxy J5 which I only nailed today after days of trial and error.

For me I had to use the same 'My Files app but I had to click on 'More' at the top of the App interface and select vIew hidden or worse to that effect. I then browsed to
Device Storage/emulated/0/.temp_tmp in this folder I found 1267 files ranging in size from around 6MB to 14MB. When I selected one of them and viewed the details they were actually containers of other files although I couldn't browse within them.

Instead of deleting them I have moved them to the SD card. This has reduced the Miscellaneous Files from around 3.5GB to 156MB which has made the phone useable again with no I'll effects. I will be deleting these files off of the SD card tomorrow.

Hopefully this will help others too.

leob03

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
When your miscellaneous file is high is because an app is using it to store file usely this app is Netflix that is not on your as card. If you have Netflix on your phone or table it will use that space when downloaded movies and shows. Other app may do the same if you don't know how to clean those file let me know I will make instruction to remove it

Muhammad Muneeb2

Oct 5, 2018
Visit site
When your miscellaneous file is high is because an app is using it to store file usely this app is Netflix that is not on your as card. If you have Netflix on your phone or table it will use that space when downloaded movies and shows. Other app may do the same if you don't know how to clean those file let me know I will make instruction to remove it

I hav Galaxy S6 & overnight my "Other" folder went from 2.74GB to 10.74GB. Tried removin stuff, had no effect at all. Whats ur solution ?