When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't have 3G here (and it would have been far more than a 2 hour drive, each direction, to get into one), so I just bought one on eBay for about $400 (including overnight shipping). T-Mobile told me I could stop by and "look" at their display models and ask as many questions as I wanted. No thanks.

Has anyone else picked up a G1? If so, where and how much? Are you using it yet? I can't wait for mine to arrive :)

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
You should just expect that anytime you agree with anything that Apple does that there will be an Android fanboy quick to come in with a personal attack. As a person who has never purchased an Apple product for themselves, I've gotten used to it. Report it and move on.
You've always been an Apple martyr Ry. HAPPY NEW YEAR btw.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Every movie I rent I rip with DVD fab and save as mp4. I can add to my iPad or my kid's Nexus 7 anytime. Sim tire 100's of movies on an external hard drive.
The format is the key. Where the trouble comes in is when people have home movies or other formats (wmv, mpg, mov, avi, mkv etc) with weird codecs that the iPad doesn't support. But let's face it, you mention the words "rip the dvd" to most people and their brains turn off. This is not just an Apple problem, but VLC player plays almost any file format on an Android device, so it is much easier to tell people to just download that app and they are good to go.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
It makes me sad when people post from ignorance.

On your Nexus 7, using a third party app, you can play almost anything. On my iPad, using any one of dozens of third party apps (Azul and CineXplayer are the two I have used), I can play almost anything.

This difference is that on iOS, if you do happen to convert your video to a specific format, there is a built in app that will read the Meta-info to organize your video files into Tv shows and movies and display all sorts of helpful information.

There are many reason to choose Android over iOS, but the ease of transferring, organizing and playing video is not one of them.
Can you play MKV files? This is the big one that most people have trouble with.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Well played sir... and true. However.... I dont miss my Optical Drive at all. I am impressed by Win 8 and I applaud Microsoft for the bringing a game changer to their desktop. I do see some resistance by corporate users in upgrading. Makes Win 7 much like Windows 2000 was when XP came out.

I am running Win 7 on my MBPR and like it... my only beef is Microsoft's Activation/Authentication Bull Crap. Its as if they assume first you are a thief before a legit customer. Prior to switching to OSX, I built my own PCs and would ofter upgrade them. Almost everytime I did, I had to call Microsoft to activate/authenticate Windows.

Apple is totally different in this aspect. Also in upgrade pricing. (I hear upgrades to Win 8 is very resonably priced compared to prior upgrades... which is good."
The only time you need a DVD drive is when you need to use a DVD.... :confused: This was a huge beef I had with Apple years ago. Many of our old archived backups for client files are on floppies and are now on "you guessed it" DVD's. Thankfully we still have PC's to do the real work when it needs to be done, but in many cases it now takes 2 people to do what one person could do on their Mac if it wasn't making key hardware obsolete before it's time. It was the same issue when they dumped the floppy drive and dare I say it "Flash". Don;t get me wrong, I'm all for eliminating old hardware. PC's eliminated them when it was time and people didn't want them anymore, but this type of logic only solidifies that Mac's don;t think about the business and how legacy hardware still has a purpose. Oh wait... let me buy a portable drive for $100. The adapter is Apples way of dealing with need.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Because drag and drop worked so well for other media players that competed with the iPod back in the day.
I always wondered why people bought the original iPods. I had a Sony Walkman Media player that was so small. Maybe 2 inches in diameter and it held tons of music. I think I paid $100 for it and it worked great. The iPod was over $200 and 3 times as big. It wasn't convenient at all until they came out with the iPod touch etc.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
You should just expect that anytime you agree with anything that Apple does that there will be an Android fanboy quick to come in with a personal attack. As a person who has never purchased an Apple product for themselves, I've gotten used to it. Report it and move on.
I have 4 iPods and 2 Macs in my house, so.... you are speaking an untruth Ry.

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I always wondered why people bought the original iPods. I had a Sony Walkman Media player that was so small. Maybe 2 inches in diameter and it held tons of music. I think I paid $100 for it and it worked great. The iPod was over $200 and 3 times as big. It wasn't convenient at all until they came out with the iPod touch etc.
My family bought me an iPod because it was over $200 and they thought I would be impressed by how much they paid for it. Oh, and it came in pink.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Ecosystem probably played a role. Like it or not, but iTunes (the ecosystem, not the software) pretty much legitimized digital music.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I'll just say right now that no, they weren't recorded on the iOS devices.

Some formats work, but many don't. It's not "rocket appliances", but for some (and not just Apple users) even the simplest tasks can be daunting. For what it's worth I'm glad they have it figured out. Some people take the time to learn others don't. I actually sent a dropbox link to 6 couples I know with very detailed instructions on how to:
A: open a dropbox account and get the files
B: login to the existing account with supplied user/pass
C: just click the link and download the files.

After spending the better part of 15 minutes writing this, only 1 couple actually clicked the link. The other 5 couples drove over to my house with a usb stick or a blank CD and had me copy the files for them.
I was truly dumb struck. I also felt like punching a few people ;)

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Ecosystem probably played a role. Like it or not, but iTunes (the ecosystem, not the software) pretty much legitimized digital music.

What legitimized it was the mp3 file. Only after that was there a portable format that wasn't massive. Apple may have taken advantage of the opportunity, but they were not alone in the direction things were going. If it wasn't them it would have been someone else shortly after.

And let's not forget to thank Napster for their contribution ;-)

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

For some it did, but audiophiles scoffed and continue to do so today at iTunes. Naptser was great. I could share drm free FLACC files with my friends and loved it. I finally went all digital, but never compressed my music with itunes. Thank god. You are correct though, itunes did kill the CD market pretty well. Only thing keeping it alive are those refusing to compromise. Back on point. I am still surprised that people are baffled by samsungs success.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2