Bigger screen=less privacy?

Lastnv

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I am thinking about the GN2 for my next upgrade and everything about the phone seems great.
The battery life and speed is what intrigues me the most. What I am worried about is with the screen being as big as it is do you ever worry about how easy it is for someone sitting next to you to see what you're doing on your phone? The reviews I've seen the viewing angles are pretty clear.

I would rather not have lingering eyes reading my text messages and looking at photos or what sites I'm browsing.
If it really is that easy to peer over to this might be a dealbreaker for me...

Owner's thoughts on this would be appreciated.:eek:

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok basically here's the thing.

Yes, viewing angles on this display are pretty much as good as it's going to get. So someone sitting next to you viewing your screen at even say a 120 degree angle, could see whats on the screen with relative ease.

Yes, having a larger screen will make it harder to "hide" what you're viewing from nearby strangers. If you're worried about text, I wouldn't be too concerned as you'd have to still be in pretty close proximity to be able to actually read, unless the stranger has incredible vision. But for the sake of websites and images/videos/etc, there really is no hiding. It's a large display, no way around that fact.

So yes, if you're concerned about someone sitting next to you watching what you're doing, this probably isn't the phone for you. That being said however I will say this. Even if you go with a small phone, say a 4.0" one, it's still pretty easy to see images on the screen and discern what it is. The problem will always be there, its just made that much easier for people to notice with the larger screen.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Just get a privacy screen protector. You can only see the screen when you are in front of it

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

nlitenme

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
You can also reduce the font size. The fonts on my N2 are actually smaller than the ones on my wife's S3 thanks to the settings. Someone would have to get really close, which would be very noticeable, to read most things on my phone.

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes! I gripe about this all the time. One particular family member of mine is constantly looking at my text messages. I have confronted them numerous times and the reply is always the same: "I can't help it the screen is so big and it is so easy to see the texts". I drives me absolutely insane!! One of the only few issues I have with the phone.

duanedude1

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
You could have a friend send a text about something embarrasing that will make the gawker think twice about having nosy eyes. Could be about an infection or a body... use your imagination.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I would think it was just rude to have someone peering over at your screen to see what you're doing on your phone. I cannot think of one instance in which I have ever stared over at someone's text message, website, or even game they were playing on their phone without being invited to do so.

I sat at a basketball game the other night, and had my Note 2 in my hand browsing the scores of other games, and texting a friend throughout. The person sitting next to me I think glance for a moment, more instinctively, when I initially pull the phone out and the display came on. However, I do not recall the young lady staring or trying to peek at what I was doing.

Somebody trying to look at what you're doing on your device is just being rude, and you should address them accordingly. If a person has the desire to act so rudely it won't be limited to this device. They would be rude no matter which phone or tablet you might be using.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I would think it was just rude to have someone peering over at your screen to see what you're doing on your phone. I cannot think of one instance in which I have ever stared over at someone's text message, website, or even game they were playing on their phone without being invited to do so.

I sat at a basketball game the other night, and had my Note 2 in my hand browsing the scores of other games, and texting a friend throughout. The person sitting next to me I think glance for a moment, more instinctively, when I initially pull the phone out and the display came on. However, I do not recall the young lady staring or trying to peek at what I was doing.

Somebody trying to look at what you're doing on your device is just being rude, and you should address them accordingly. If a person has the desire to act so rudely it won't be limited to this device. They would be rude no matter which phone or tablet you might be using.

Definitely agree. But we are a dying breed, good mannered people with respect. There are plenty of snoopy people out there you better believe it. And as much as I agree it's proper to address the problem, it's easier said than done. You never know who you might be telling off.

Lastnv

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Just get a privacy screen protector. You can only see the screen when you are in front of it

Totally slipped my mind. Found this one and it looks like the best one on Amazon.
I'm worried about how much it will hinder screen brightness, I heard the phone isn't as bright as some people would have expected.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Please review these when you guys get them in sure others would like to hear about them. I was thinking these dont need to be permanently installed. Like keep them b inside the case behind the phone and when in public and you need privacy tape or hold these on top of the screen.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes! I gripe about this all the time. One particular family member of mine is constantly looking at my text messages. I have confronted them numerous times and the reply is always the same: "I can't help it the screen is so big and it is so easy to see the texts". I drives me absolutely insane!! One of the only few issues I have with the phone.

Keep yo own phone then bro Lol. Problem solved

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I live in NYC, and use the subway to get to work and I have never experienced anyone trying to see what I am doing on my phone. You must have some real nosey people in your city. I would be more worried about privacy if I had a table than the Note 2.

Last edited:

Lastnv

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Please review these when you guys get them in sure others would like to hear about them. I was thinking these dont need to be permanently installed. Like keep them b inside the case behind the phone and when in public and you need privacy tape or hold these on top of the screen.

I for sure will when I get it :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa