Help on note 2 smart dock

tetaganda

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way to use the dock without plugging the power cable?

I tried to unplug it because it said the phone is fully charged. I did not want to overcharge my battery.

But when I unplugged the power, the USB drive and keyboard/mouse were disconnected.

Is there a way in the settings somewhere or an app to disable charging of the phone while docked?

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Not that I know of. And those USB ports are powered, meaning without plugging the hub into the outlet, they do not function.

I too am concerned about the full charge usage though. I always watch my phone like a hawk when it's on the charger and as soon as that LED turns green I pull the cable right away. Leaving it plugged in overnight with hours spent plugged in and at max charge has been shown to reduce battery health. Maybe not significantly enough to warrant people avoiding this behavior if they plan on replacing the device in less than 2 years, but something to consider if you're gonna hold onto this phone for the long haul.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I never worry about charging over night. I have been through about 6 phones since i started using smart phones and have not had to replace a battery yet..

Also it is kind of impossible to over charge. When it hits 100% it stops charging and starts to discharge in a kind of trickle process. Then when it gets to a certain point starts to charge again till it hits 100 again. So it's not like electrons start to collect then decide to bust out of the battery.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I never worry about charging over night. I have been through about 6 phones since i started using smart phones and have not had to replace a battery yet..

Also it is kind of impossible to over charge. When it hits 100% it stops charging and starts to discharge in a kind of trickle process. Then when it gets to a certain point starts to charge again till it hits 100 again. So it's not like electrons start to collect then decide to bust out of the battery.

Same. I charge mine overnight because that's the most convenient time for me. Android kernels have all been trained to do exactly what he said.

Plus, price of a battery isn't as much as a phone. If mine goes bad, I'll pay for it... :/

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network

tetaganda

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Because of it, I searched for "can i overcharge my smartphone?" instead of obsessing about how to use the dock without power.

One answer led to another until I read this post that made me understand charging. You're right, we can't overcharge a battery, specially Li-ion.

Want to share it in case others have a similar question and come across this post:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=871051

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Old article, and it doesn't refer to smart chargers. Probably still applies to an electric drill.

"BY WHITSON GORDON JAN 11, 2012 10:00 AM"

Just about 1 year lol so old.

Meanwhile battery tech hasn't changed in over 10 years. Yes, leaving your phone plugged in overnight sitting at full charge WILL take it's toll on your battery health. Note, I said health not life. People think this means they won't get as much use during the next day out of the charge, this is not what I am stating. Leaving it plugged in overnight wastes recharge cycles and being kept at max voltage (4.2v) for extended periods of time (8 hours a night) WILL burn out the cells faster, meaning in possibly a year or less you will see significant loss in battery health, leading to shorter charge cycles.

Please stop denying the facts. Yes in less than 2 years most people will have moved on to a new device, leaving their old battery sitting around collecting dust. At which point it's health won't matter much. But do not argue that it doesn't take a hefty toll on it when it clearly does, as has been proven time and time again through multiple studies and tests.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

Meanwhile battery tech hasn't changed in over 10 years. Yes, leaving your phone plugged in overnight sitting at full charge WILL take it's toll on your battery health. Note, I said health not life. People think this means they won't get as much use during the next day out of the charge, this is not what I am stating. Leaving it plugged in overnight wastes recharge cycles and being kept at max voltage (4.2v) for extended periods of time (8 hours a night) WILL burn out the cells faster, meaning in possibly a year or less you will see significant loss in battery health, leading to shorter charge cycles.

Please stop denying the facts. Yes in less than 2 years most people will have moved on to a new device, leaving their old battery sitting around collecting dust. At which point it's health won't matter much. But do not argue that it doesn't take a hefty toll on it when it clearly does, as has been proven time and time again through multiple studies and tests.

Let's say this is 100% correct. I don't care enough to wake up in the middle of my sleep to unplug. If I need a new battery in a yr and a half ill get one. Its not like i own a Droid DNA or iphone. $12 for a aftermarket battery pack and a 30second Swap and the convienence of plugging of falling asleep and unplug and run in the morning was worth it.

Last edited:

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm one of the users that usually do leave it on the charger overnight. Know how many batteries I've had to replace? 0. Know how many shorter cycles I've had? None.

Had an lg optimus for the better of a year and a half. Went on charger overnight. Stock battery was still at ~40% when I'd plug it in every night. Never had an issue.

How about vehicle docks? I'm not reaching over into my passenger floorboards in the middle of driving to unplug it... that's just unsafe (my daily driver is a 2003 cavalier - 44mpg but that's a different story - look up outlet locations)

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Let's say this is 100% correct. I don't care enough to wake up in the middle of my sleep to unplug. If I need a new battery in a yr and a half ill get one. Its not like i own a Droid DNA or iphone. $12 for a aftermarket battery pack and a 30second Swap and the convienence of plugging of falling asleep and unplug and run in the morning was worth it.

I already covered this scenario in my post. Most people will move on and either replace the device entirely or be forced to get a new battery, which isn't a tragedy in and of itself as you can get an official battery for pretty cheap.

But my point still stands. Keeping the battery at 100% all night, and plugged in, leads to a faster "killing" of a battery where in a worst case scenario you could be looking at a 50% decline in capacity in one year of use. I just want to get the fact out that yes leaving it plugged in at full charge does have a largely negative impact on the overall conditioning of the cells.

I'm one of the users that usually do leave it on the charger overnight. Know how many batteries I've had to replace? 0. Know how many shorter cycles I've had? None.

Assuming you've had a phone for over a year you definitely have seen reduced battery charge cycles.

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to use the dock without plugging the power cable?

I tried to unplug it because it said the phone is fully charged. I did not want to overcharge my battery.

But when I unplugged the power, the USB drive and keyboard/mouse were disconnected.

Is there a way in the settings somewhere or an app to disable charging of the phone while docked?

Thanks for the help!

When did you get your smart dock. Its been out of stock on Samsung. Especially with the 50% off coupon. How do you like it.

tetaganda

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
When did you get your smart dock. Its been out of stock on Samsung. Especially with the 50% off coupon. How do you like it.

Got it from shopandroid. It's just $89. Then use coupon code save15 to get 15off and free shipping :)

Love it more everyday the more I learn about it.

It's the first thing I do to start my work day, dock my note and all my work apps are automated, keyboard connects, music starts, Bluetooth turns off,

Im going to connect it to the tv tonight and mirror netflix. I would return my roku if the note in dock suffices.

Sent from the best. phone. ever. Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Got it from shopandroid. It's just $89. Then use coupon code save15 to get 15off and free shipping :)

Love it more everyday the more I learn about it.

It's the first thing I do to start my work day, dock my note and all my work apps are automated, keyboard connects, music starts, Bluetooth turns off,

Im going to connect it to the tv tonight and mirror netflix. I would return my roku if the note in dock suffices.

Sent from the best. phone. ever. Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

[Tip]When hooking up to hdmi you can use an app called screen standby which shuts off your screen. This is great for battery charging while hooked up. Also good for pausing for long period of time so screen burn in doesnt set in[/tip]

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

I'm not denying any facts, the problem is we don't know the real facts. We don't know the author's qualifications or where he got his information from or how old that is. What we do know is that the tech changes from generation to generation, and currently a generation is less than a year. This is not 10 year old tech.
I would suspect, based on my DC power supply background, that these phones do not do what the old analog supplies did, which was just dump power into the battery forever. Smart chargers sample and provide current as needed. They don't feed it continuously. Even the latest power tools - the lowest tech of hi tech - have smart chargers and the manufacturers tell you it's OK to leave them plugged in. I think Samsung is quite a bit higher on the tech scale.

Basically, we don't know exactly what the chargers in these phones are doing, but we do know that they're software controlled, and it behooves Samsung to make sure the battery is as good as possible at all times.

I got over two years from my last phone on the original battery and that was docked every night. I never saw a decrease in battery life and that was two generations ago. However, after saying that, I must point out that the plural of anecdote is not data. In other words, just because you or me or Betty or Fred had something good (or bad) happen, it's not necessarily true across the entire line.
I'd like to see the results of a few of these many studies, but only as long as they are based upon current battery and charger technology, else they are irrelevant. Rest assured that whatever the latest algorithms are and the reasons for choosing those are going to be a trade secret.

It all boils down to we should each do what works for us, and remember that the cost of a battery is insignificant over a period of 2 or more years. Only a small percentage of us will still have these phones come January of 2015 and you can be sure that a vast majority of them will be replaced while the factory battery is still good.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I was at work yesterday and I plugged in the company phone as it was half drained. I got yelled at by my coworkers telling me I'm killing it by charging it to early. I explained to them how Lithium Ion batteries work and they called me stupid because T-Mobile told them that's a lie. Of course, I'm being a smart as and said T-Mobile and every other companies reps seem to claim this crap and their wrong. Charge cycles are 0% to 100%. If you're granted 500 cycles then doing a charge at 50% grants you 1000 charges to full if done this way at all times.

I love clueless people. :banghead:

Note, I charge at night. I've never needed a new battery but if I do $50 won't kill me a year or so later.
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
My phone/battery don't heat up unless my screen is on while charging. Either way, I don't trust wiki and I do what works for me.

I feel you bro. Most people will move on by the time their batteries start to reach 50% capacity decay, so it won't affect them.

I just hate when people say that this is wrong or they don't believe it, when it's been scientifically proven by dozens of groups and universities over the years. It's like ok, I get it, you don't care and it doesn't phase you. But don't dismiss it as "incorrect."

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty