Headphones.....work, sometimes not.

destefmx6

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I seem to be having trouble with my headphone jack. It may be hardware. I was wondering if it could also be a software/system issue?

What I have tried: VModa headphones, beats, iphone earphones, several hardwires to external speakers. I can't make sense of it. I restarted, rebooted several times. Sometimes they work sometimes they don't. When they do work, it sometimes sounds like the volume is pinned up... staticky....if that's a word. Bluetooth works fine, as well as the phone speaker.

Any other ideas? I would rather not unroot and start all over again, but if that's what it takes.....At least then I will know it's hardware.
Any help/ideas are appreciated.
Installed: Rocket Player
MXplayer
Super Video
BSplayer
PlayerPro
Mobo Player
Dolphin
Double Twist
Music Hub
Music Player
Video Player
Allshare-(but it doesn't work)

I know it could be anything, I was just hoping someone "had a similar" problem they were able to resolve.
Thank you ahead of time for ANY ideas.

Running CleanRom 1.2 ATT SE - never had a problem.

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Does the sound change at all when wiggling the plug of any of the headphones while plugged into the jack?

Sent from my Samsung GT 2 7.0 using Tapatalk 2.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Ah, you used iPhone earbuds, that's what broke your Samsung phone.

Just kidding :p

It does sound like a hardware problem... You could run the hidden test menu and see if there's a test available for headphone jack (sorry, can't remember what's the code for the test menu, though), it might help determine if it's a software issue. But if you have the same issue with all players you have installed, I'd go with hardware and run to the store and claim my warranty (I know that happened to me TWICE on my old Galaxy SII; I had it replaced once because the loudspeaker died out, and once because the headphones wouldn't work. The third unit worked fine until I sent it flying into a wall :( )

destefmx6

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I tried the slight wiggle, but no change. And, with my luck, I would really break it if I messed with it too much.....: -)

destefmx6

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I reflashed and put 1.2 back on.....no more headphone problems. I must have had something installed that screwed up a bunch of system ops......I had no Google search, no speech to text, and headphones wouldn't work right.....I restored from my original backup, and wallah....no more problems......

Maybe it was the Apple headphones......lol ;-0

Ah, you used iPhone earbuds, that's what broke your Samsung phone.

Just kidding :p

It does sound like a hardware problem... You could run the hidden test menu and see if there's a test available for headphone jack (sorry, can't remember what's the code for the test menu, though), it might help determine if it's a software issue. But if you have the same issue with all players you have installed, I'd go with hardware and run to the store and claim my warranty (I know that happened to me TWICE on my old Galaxy SII; I had it replaced once because the loudspeaker died out, and once because the headphones wouldn't work. The third unit worked fine until I sent it flying into a wall :( )

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I reflashed and put 1.2 back on.....no more headphone problems. I must have had something installed that screwed up a bunch of system ops......I had no Google search, no speech to text, and headphones wouldn't work right.....I restored from my original backup, and wallah....no more problems......

Maybe it was the Apple headphones......lol ;-0

When you flashed before hand did you have a different rom and not do a system wipe or did you use titanium backup to restore all?

Sent via Tapatalk

EatMyTracers

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I have a problem with mine where if I plug my headphones straight in then they don't work well, lots of static and cutting out but if I plug in my portable amp first then it works great.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87