Is TouchWiz as bad as I hear?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I have no problem with the way Touchwiz looks. What is wrong with the looks of Touchwiz?

Mainly that it still has the 2011 GB look and feel to it, they haven't updated it to follow the holo guidelines and with the Nature UI they're actually doubling down on it. It's not bad, it's just not for me. Some people love it and clearly millions of people don't mind it at all when they buy it.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Mainly that it still has the 2011 GB look and feel to it, they haven't updated it to follow the holo guidelines and with the Nature UI they're actually doubling down on it. It's not bad, it's just not for me. Some people love it and clearly millions of people don't mind it at all when they buy it.

I guess when you are selling millions of phones, you can do what you want and don't have follow any guidelines. The phones that follow the guidelines, don't sell millions, so Samsung could care less about guidelines. People looking for phones that follow guidelines should stick to the Nexus lines of phones.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It's upgrade time and I'm looking at the note 2 the s4(when it released) and maybe the DNA or X phone. I like the note and it's S pen and huge screen. The only major turnoff I'm having is TouchWiz. I see people trash talking it all the time. All my androids have been HTC or DROID so I've never used TouchWiz. What is it like? Is it good? Also, will the note fit in my average hands/pockets?

Sent from my HTC Rhyme

The device is fine. I have heard nothing but good things about the Note 2. TouchWiz is the launcher for Samsung devices. Basically the User Interface for the device in question. While for the most part TouchWiz isn't all that bad, I prefer Nova, just because it brings customizing to a whole new breed of awesome. Color themes, scrolling, number of icons in the dock, number of dock pages, number of icons on the home screen, locking the home screen (Basically not allowing any changing of the homescreen. Useful in some ways), all this can NOT be done on TouchWiz. I love Nova so much it's on all three of my Samsung devices.

jman2112

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
The nice thing about android is that there are lots of options for launchers (skins). I personally don't care for touchwiz. I'm on my second samsung galaxy S phone. Love the phones. Samsung does make excellent hardware. I just install GoLauncher Ex. So don't let the skin they put on over android deter you from getting a phone you really want. Just know that with android there are lots of options for virtually every aspect of the operating system, from the keyboard to the notification bar and everything in between.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The device is fine. I have heard nothing but good things about the Note 2. TouchWiz is the launcher for Samsung devices. Basically the User Interface for the device in question. While for the most part TouchWiz isn't all that bad, I prefer Nova, just because it brings customizing to a whole new breed of awesome. Color themes, scrolling, number of icons in the dock, number of dock pages, number of icons on the home screen, locking the home screen (Basically not allowing any changing of the homescreen. Useful in some ways), all this can NOT be done on TouchWiz. I love Nova so much it's on all three of my Samsung devices.

Agree that this does most of the needed work to hide the interface, but even Nova doesn't replace the notification tray, drop downs or the menus, app drawer, etc. Unfortunately, most ROM's that fix those issues, do it at the cost of the TouchWiz feature set.

Aznmrtaxes

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Just switched back to TouchWiz a couple days ago from Nova Launcher. I've never actually got to use TouchWiz because as soon as I got the phone I downloaded Nova Launcher. I have to say TouchWiz ain't bad, in fact I like it. It has its pros and cons just like every launcher out there. Some people like it, some people don't, you just have to try it out for yourself.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Just switched back to TouchWiz a couple days ago from Nova Launcher. I've never actually got to use TouchWiz because as soon as I got the phone I downloaded Nova Launcher. I have to say TouchWiz ain't bad, in fact I like it. It has its pros and cons just like every launcher out there. Some people like it, some people don't, you just have to try it out for yourself.

Said best. The AccuWeather widget in Samsung's devices are designed around TouchWiz. Nova can't bring them up. Take the good with the bad....

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Agree that this does most of the needed work to hide the interface, but even Nova doesn't replace the notification tray, drop downs or the menus, app drawer, etc. Unfortunately, most ROM's that fix those issues, do it at the cost of the TouchWiz feature set.

BeansROM is a touchwiz ROM that changes the look and feel but you don't lose tw features. In case anyone was wondering. :D I'm sure there are other ROMS that are similar.

Sent from my SCH-I605

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1364097463245.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364097463245.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 33
  • uploadfromtaptalk1364097472450.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364097472450.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 33

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I have reasonably good things to say about TW. Going all the way back to using TW on Android 2.1 all the way up until today's TW on the S3/GNote 2 it has come a LONG way from its early days. Used to be many people turned to rooting and custom ROMs so they could get the goodies that the developers added into the TW base to spice things up.. They added custom and more commonly used toggles and all sorts of things now common on TW and Sense, actually any of the OEM skins/UI's today.

I'm sure if you really want to dig in deep and look for things to complain about you can easily find something on any UI. Even pure Google has its downfalls so nothing is going to perfectly suit everyone.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I suppose my opinion may be different if I had used an earlier version of touchwiz... my first android phone was my Stellar...which came with 4.0.4. I only have seat time on the latest version.

rkeenan

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
This is my first TW phone and second Samsung phone. Before this I had the Gnex which is stock Android. To me, I would say Touchwiz is fairly close to stock android. I know it is missing some features like Photosphere and on screen buttons, but for me it isn't missing something I value. I hear earlier touchwiz is atrocious, but this version is more than adequate for myself.

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
According to most people around these sites Yes. Touchwhiz steals your soul and your spouse. It takes your kids away also. Stock android is like unicorns and waterfalls. You also have to root and flash a ROM where a feature like your camera won't work.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

PhxBlue

Super Geek
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Earlier versions of Twiz were horrendous. The recent iterations are far more liveable, in my opinion. I quite like it on my Note these days

Sent from my Note 2 using Android Central Forums

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Jump on the Note 2, they are in stores waiting to be bought. Another great thing about the Note 2 is since its been out for a few months you can get it at walmart for a very good price. I would not get the S4, once you go Note you can't go back. The Note 2 is a great phone and is as future proof as you can get. The Note 3 wont be coming until the end of the year. There is no reason at all for you to wait for the S4, in fact even if it where here, I would still go with the Note 2 and I know allot of other people that would do the same.

Just go check one out, look at beautiful display. The awesome camera features, the S-Pen can do some amazing things. It also makes photo editing using Photo Shop Touch almost as good as what I can do on my desktop. There is just so much features built into the Note 2 there are way to much to list. Did I mention the Display? Its just one of the best things about the Note 2, Super AMOLED HD PLUS display. I say PLUS because it uses RGB color matrix. So even though its 720p you get much better color, contrast and 2x the sub pixels compared to the S4. It's much better then the display technology used in the S3 and S4 they are using pentile, rather then RGB.

Once you go 5.5" you will never want to go a hair under. You also get used to the size very fast. I hold my friends S3's and S2's while they are playing with my Note 2 and WoW, the S3 feels smaller but the S2 its just tiny..

The fact is unless you hold your phone about 4-5 inches from your eyes you wont notice the difference from 1080p to 720p on a display under 7" and like we went over, the S4 uses a pentile display anyway so it makes getting the Note 2 a no brain'er

But if you just can't make up your mind and are willing to wait until the end of the year then the Note 3 it is. But if you want the best of the best, go pick up a Note 2. You wont be sorry, you can hold me to it.

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
My wife, who usually talks crap about everyone being glued to their smartphones, actually loves how large the Note 2 screen is. I showed her a youtube video the other day & she commented how nice it was to actually be able to see the video, unlike how everyone she works with showing her stuff on such tiny screens(iphones mostly)

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have always been on an HTC phone after leaving Blackberry. I was unsure about Touchwiz. Then I got the Samsung galaxy tab 10.1. Like the touchwiz. No issues at all and I love my Note2

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
According to most people around these sites Yes. Touchwhiz steals your soul and your spouse. It takes your kids away also. Stock android is like unicorns and waterfalls. You also have to root and flash a ROM where a feature like your camera won't work.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

looking for this version of TW, I hope they release it to the vzw model....

I kid I kid.. sorta..

sent from my galaxy note 2