Is there an app that allows u to take pics with lock button?

mrsstraty#AC

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I personally like the option to snap pictures with my lock button, like I had on my iphone. Is there an app for this??? I am always snapping pictures of my 2 year old and Need quick access to my camera. :)

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.

digital0verdose

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
If you go to your Gestures options, there is one in there to quickly access the camera when the phone is locked.

After that pushing the digital button shouldn't be any quicker or slower than a physical one. You can also use your voice to snap a quick picture which you can also tailor.

To answer the root question, not that I have seen. Though there could be something out there for a rooted phone.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If you want quick access, you can (as digital0verdose said) enable the Gesture in your settings (press your thumb on the locksceen, rotate the phone, voil?! Camera open).

If you want to snap the picture with a button (while the camera is already open), you can set the Stock Camera to use the volume buttons as a Shutter instead of the default zoom in/out. Apps like Camera360 and CameraFX will let you configure 'hot buttons', including the Power/Lock one to snap a picture using those while the app is open.

mrsstraty#AC

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Also isn't here anyway to "hide" the notification bar. I like it but I don't want it showing all the time, just when I need it. Or at least lighten it??

Thanks for your help.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
If you want quick access, you can (as digital0verdose said) enable the Gesture in your settings (press your thumb on the locksceen, rotate the phone, voil?! Camera open).

If you want to snap the picture with a button (while the camera is already open), you can set the Stock Camera to use the volume buttons as a Shutter instead of the default zoom in/out. Apps like Camera360 and CameraFX will let you configure 'hot buttons', including the Power/Lock one to snap a picture using those while the app is open.

How do you make the stock camera take photos with the volume buttons? I don't see that option on mine.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

mrsstraty#AC

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I don't c that option either. Been looking and nothing. I still can't figure out how to get the camera from the lock screen either.

digital0verdose

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I don't c that option either. Been looking and nothing. I still can't figure out how to get the camera from the lock screen either.

From your homescreen:

1. Go to Settings (found in menu that comes up when you touch the haptic button to the left of the main Home button)
  2. Select Lock Screen
  3. Select Lock Screen Options
  4. Turn "Camera quick access" to On.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

Open the Camera, and select Settings (the gear icon on the upper left). Change "Use the volume key as" from "The zoom key" to "The camera key."

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Open the Camera, and select Settings (the gear icon on the upper left). Change "Use the volume key as" from "The zoom key" to "The camera key."

I don't have the zoom settings for the stock camera app. I'm wondering if they have been removed for my device. What carrier are you with?

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't have the zoom settings for the stock camera app. I'm wondering if they have been removed for my device. What carrier are you with?

AT&T. You don't have "Use the volume key as" under Settings? Carriers screw around with a lot of things, but I don't know why they would mess with this.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
AT&T. You don't have "Use the volume key as" under Settings? Carriers screw around with a lot of things, but I don't know why they would mess with this.

I'm with Verizon. These are all the settings for the stock camera app.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1366125299596.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366125299596.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 26
  • uploadfromtaptalk1366125311917.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366125311917.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 26
  • uploadfromtaptalk1366125323291.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366125323291.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 26
  • uploadfromtaptalk1366125333963.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366125333963.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 26
  • uploadfromtaptalk1366125344522.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366125344522.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 26

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm with Verizon. These are all the settings for the stock camera app.

It looks like VZW took it out (or perhaps AT&T had it added). It should be between Burst shot and Self-portrait:

cam001j.jpg

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Bummer! they removed it :S Mine's International factory-unlocked... Then your best bet would be to download a different camera app. As for the notification bar, I'm afraid you can't hide it or apply coloring/transparency unless you root your phone.

FitMomXtine

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I personally like the option to snap pictures with my lock button, like I had on my iphone. Is there an app for this??? I am always snapping pictures of my 2 year old and Need quick access to my camera. :)

When I had my note 2 I asked this same question and unfortunately it's not exactly how the quick camera function on the iPhone is.. but there is a similar way..

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...mera-passcode-lock-without-entering-code.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-...ure-note-2-without-having-press-passcode.html
from other posters they are saying they are hoping this will be a feature added in the next update.. i'm crossing my fingers.. that's one of the reasons I returned back to my phone (but am considering the note 2 or the SG4 - can't make up my darn mind)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
REALLY??!! YOU WENT BACK TO IPHONE BECAUSE OF THAT?!! (Trying to calm myself down here...)

The iPhone camera launches (correct me if I'm wrong) by sliding the camera icon up to access it. Guess what?! You have JUST THAT in your Note 2! It's a little camera icon on the lockscreen, you drag it up and voil?! Don't want to drag anything? Do it quicker! Activate the gesture control and just press the screen and rotate your phone as if readying to take a picture; simple!

Want more shortcuts or options? Try a different lockscreen like WidgetLocker. Want even further freedom? Try rooting your phone and tinkering with it (dangerous, yes...worth it? sometimes...)

FitMomXtine

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
REALLY??!! YOU WENT BACK TO IPHONE BECAUSE OF THAT?!! (Trying to calm myself down here...)

The iPhone camera launches (correct me if I'm wrong) by sliding the camera icon up to access it. Guess what?! You have JUST THAT in your Note 2! It's a little camera icon on the lockscreen, you drag it up and voil?! Don't want to drag anything? Do it quicker! Activate the gesture control and just press the screen and rotate your phone as if readying to take a picture; simple!

Want more shortcuts or options? Try a different lockscreen like WidgetLocker. Want even further freedom? Try rooting your phone and tinkering with it (dangerous, yes...worth it? sometimes...)

Lol well that is ONE of the reasons I went back to my iPhone.. that and other things like iMessage/Facetime... and just because I already had everything on my iPhone like music playlists already set up and when I moved it over to the Note 2, no more playlists and it would be a PITA for me to add the songs manually to my playlist for the gym lol..

I know I didn't give it enough time to get used to.. I have everything Apple so of course I missed getting iMessages on my iMac/iPad/iPhone etc.. like when it pertained to my kids and i didnt have my phone on me at least my iMac would notify me if I was studying etc (or just not with my phone)..

But like I mentioned I WANT to go back to android - cause I am bored with my phone lol but I do love my other apple products..

I just can't decide between the note 2 or S4..

as for the Note 2 it's not exactly like the quick camera grabber on the iPhone.. I don't know for those that didn't have this feature on their iPhone quite understand it..or I don't quite know how to explain it.. yes the Note 2 has quick camera access - but you still have to press your passcode (if you have it set to immediately etc).. and if you turn it to 30 minutes - it doesn't automatically lock your phone..

Honestly I didn't know there were differentl lockscreens.. I don't know if you noticed but I am new to android and so I'm overwhelmed with everything.. heck I didn't even know much about jailbreaking my iPhone until it was too late and I upgraded to 6.1.3 and can't jailbreak now.. which is also the reason why I LIKED the androids because you don't need to root it to customize it..

another thing I didn't like on the note 2 was my camera (not sure if it was just mine) but it was grainy and pixelated.. I always kept the lens clean and free of debris as much as I could and kept it in the case but pictures always came out weird..

but i'm deathly scared to root my phone (when I decide to get another android). lol I'm not a tech junkie so i know NOTHING about doing these kinds of things and would rather wait until i'm more familiar with the phone before even attempting to do that.. (with my luck i would break my phone and be SOL lol)

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Lol well that is ONE of the reasons I went back to my iPhone.. that and other things like iMessage/Facetime... and just because I already had everything on my iPhone like music playlists already set up and when I moved it over to the Note 2, no more playlists and it would be a PITA for me to add the songs manually to my playlist for the gym lol..

I know I didn't give it enough time to get used to.. I have everything Apple so of course I missed getting iMessages on my iMac/iPad/iPhone etc.. like when it pertained to my kids and i didnt have my phone on me at least my iMac would notify me if I was studying etc (or just not with my phone)..

But like I mentioned I WANT to go back to android - cause I am bored with my phone lol but I do love my other apple products..

I just can't decide between the note 2 or S4..

as for the Note 2 it's not exactly like the quick camera grabber on the iPhone.. I don't know for those that didn't have this feature on their iPhone quite understand it..or I don't quite know how to explain it.. yes the Note 2 has quick camera access - but you still have to press your passcode (if you have it set to immediately etc).. and if you turn it to 30 minutes - it doesn't automatically lock your phone..

Honestly I didn't know there were differentl lockscreens.. I don't know if you noticed but I am new to android and so I'm overwhelmed with everything.. heck I didn't even know much about jailbreaking my iPhone until it was too late and I upgraded to 6.1.3 and can't jailbreak now.. which is also the reason why I LIKED the androids because you don't need to root it to customize it..

another thing I didn't like on the note 2 was my camera (not sure if it was just mine) but it was grainy and pixelated.. I always kept the lens clean and free of debris as much as I could and kept it in the case but pictures always came out weird..

but i'm deathly scared to root my phone (when I decide to get another android). lol I'm not a tech junkie so i know NOTHING about doing these kinds of things and would rather wait until i'm more familiar with the phone before even attempting to do that.. (with my luck i would break my phone and be SOL lol)

If you do end up returning to Android, you should look into some of the chat messaging apps and video calling apps. Many of them offer functionality that, as far as I know, isn't available with FaceTime (such as over cellular networks - that was at some point not possible with Facetime).

For Music, if you start using Google Music, you can have it automatically mirror your iTunes library. It will sync and cache songs on your Android devices intelligently.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't want to root mine, either as most of the customization I want is right there on the system already. That being said, then you want to bypass your lockscreen security with the camera; I didn't know you could do that with iPhone since I've never set up a pin, just a slide-to-unlock (which is how I lock my Note 2, too... sounds funny hehe).

The camera on the Note 2 is not that great in low light or indoors, it has a very slow shutter, so it does come out either blurry or noisy, definitely something the iDevices have always handled quite nicely. But in bright light, it is outstanding. IF you're going back to Android, I'd say go for the S4 if features are your thing (and an improved camera, from what I've seen). But if budget is now an issue, get the Note 2 or an S3, as they're sure to drop prices next week.

BTW, you CAN keep you iTunes music/playlists if you use DoubleTwist or Samsung's own app, EasySync (the first is a full-fledged music player whilst the latter only lets you sync music/playlists). In my case I got Spotify and now that crosses over to any device I use.

The one thing you'll always miss is iMessage (I know I missed BBM when I had a (shudders) BlackBerry... I know, I'm not proud). I've never owned an iPhone but I do own an iPod Touch, iPad and my sister has an iPhone, so iMessage can be a big thing. We use Whatsapp, but that's only between phones. I guess you can use GTalk to have communication with a PC, but then your kids would need to set up a GMail account.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty