Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - keyboard - keeps forgetting added words

RobFreundlich

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I use the Samsung keyboard, and have been able to add words to its dictionary using the technique posted in other threads here (type the word, hit space, hit backspace, select the word, hit the checkmark in the top-left of the copy/paste bar). However, when I do that, the word I add isn't available in apps other than the one in which I was typing when I added it, and eventually, it'll be forgotten for that app as well.

For example, suppose I'm texting. I type my wife's name (for privacy's sake, we'll call her Prymaat). For the remainder of that texting session, I can type Pr and it'll show me Prymaat in the word choices. If I switch to another app (e.g. my note taking app) if I type Pr, it won't show me Prymaat. Switch back to texting, and it might show me Prymaat and it might not. WTH?

Anyone else running into this? Got any suggestions that DON'T involve switching to another keyboard? (I like the always-visible number row and the auto-switch-to-pen-input of the Samsung keyboard, as well as a few other features, so I am not interested in switching)

shiser

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Rob,
Were you ever able to sort this out? I have a Note 3 and this problem is killing me... seeing that it was happening with the Note 2 also makes me even more curious, how is this problem not driving everyone crazy?
I'm hoping for some good news. I don't want to give this keyboard up, due to several Note-centric features, but I'm at the end of my rope.
Thanks!

RobFreundlich

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Rob,
Were you ever able to sort this out? I have a Note 3 and this problem is killing me... seeing that it was happening with the Note 2 also makes me even more curious, how is this problem not driving everyone crazy?
I'm hoping for some good news. I don't want to give this keyboard up, due to several Note-centric features, but I'm at the end of my rope.
Thanks!

About a month ago, I flashed the N3BULA ROM for my Note 2 (a 4.3-based ROM with some Note 3 features), and the problem went away. I don't know whether it was all of the resetting of caches so on that I had to do before flashing the ROM, or the keyboard included with the ROM being slightly different, or what. The developers of the ROM are very responsive, so you could probably pop over to their Q & A forum and see if they can tell you about the keyboard they included.

RobFreundlich

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
One more thing on this - I don't need to jump through hoops anymore to add a word to the dictionary. If I type an unknown word and hit the space bar, it just seems to be automatically learned.