Whitestone issue

Beth Hahn

Feb 28, 2018
Visit site
So I religiously have used White Stone dome protectors on my last like four phones. Never had an issue with them they always protected my phone great customer service was on par. I'm noticing all that has gone downhill with this particular phone. Thankfully when I got my protectors they weren't cracked. So I installed the first one just fine and after about three weeks or so I noticed it was cracked probably because of my keys in my pocket. So I installed my second one and try to file a warranty but the second one has been on for not even a week and it has hairline cracks spidering through. So yeah I'm starting to doubt these batches of glass because I've never had them crack this easily. And customer service is pretty much non-existent to get any replacements. But I'm curious now I have more of the glue the whole setup couldn't I use a different glass screen protector with their glue? Bc I personally noticed when I tried a copy cat brand the glass was fine, it was the glue that seemed crappy

pags11

Mar 5, 2019
Visit site
Have had my issues with the customer service at Whitestone, but the product has always been solid. I would chalk this up to a bad batch.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Seems like they have a quality issue with their manufacturer eh? Haven’t hear so many cracking issues with previous models.

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It would be nice if they acknowledged the problems occuring and that a solution was being worked on to fix them.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
This will be my last Whitestone I buy. Once this is done, I am done with them.

I'm glad I bought the original via PayPal, because BOTH screen protectors were broken on arrival AND, the installation caddy was damaged and cracked.

Contacted them and NO response. Filed a dispute with PayPal, they reached out to them and NOTHING. So, PayPal decided in my favor and issues a refund. Then, I bought from Amazon. Came undamaged but installation was a mess. The caddy for the N20U is not of the same quality as other ones I have had, the screen protector slipped during install and I had to pull it off and wipe it all down to start again.

This time, it appeared to go on correctly, but after curing, it had slipped down a bit and was off.

So, I had my brother install it (he has installed literally hundreds of these), and he had extra glue, and it's on there perfectly now. Even he stated the install caddy was shoddier compared to other ones. He has a stack of them from various Android and iPhones and looking at them throughout the years (going from oldest to newest), you can see a remarkable decline in quality of the caddy's.

They can try and blame COVID, but there is more to it than that.

20200820_084519.jpg
20200820_084536.jpg
20200820_084550.jpg

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
The Note 20 Ultra glass is much thinner than past versions. The two pieces of glass that were in my kit were not completely flat and caused shadows on my display.
I had to peel the first one off because of the shadows and now have the second one installed with the same exact problem.

Their quality has gone down the toilet and their customer service is non existent.

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have held off on getting the glass for my Note20 Ultra from them due to all these issues. I did however buy a pre-order for the Z Fold 2 which is supposed to begin shipping on September 17. Hopefully it's going to be trouble free.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I have held off on getting the glass for my Note20 Ultra from them due to all these issues. I did however buy a pre-order for the Z Fold 2 which is supposed to begin shipping on September 17. Hopefully it's going to be trouble free.
Me too

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
What are you going to go with next?? Another UV competitor like Ultimate Shield or amFilm??

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CZYWJMS/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_x_40TxFbTWR2EBH

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08F5JWQ44/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_x_R0TxFb9WN3QAW

These products now a days... don't even mention specs on glass thickness or hardness rating.

Actually, I did see on the Ultimate page at lease they mention or willing to claim 9H hardness.

The Whitestone could be have the hardness of a potato chip lol. Ya know, it they aren't willing to advertise the specs they use, I'd stay away.

Guessing you don’t have calipers to measure thickness or older spare protectors to measure and compare how much thinner they went eh??

The Note 20 Ultra glass is much thinner than past versions. The two pieces of glass that were in my kit were not completely flat and caused shadows on my display.
I had to peel the first one off because of the shadows and now have the second one installed with the same exact problem.

Their quality has gone down the toilet and their customer service is non existent.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Speaking of....

This is the first time in 3 years that I cracked one and in this case it was in my back pocket and I sat in my car seat. I've done this accidentally many times before with my Note 10 and WSD but it never cracked. I am thinking the same and something is not right.
4d60585b2b5c2df5a4dd93fd035d1914.jpg

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

The glass is not supposed to be flat. It is curved on the edges to match the curve on your screen.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
The glass is not supposed to be flat. It is curved on the edges to match the curve on your screen.

Lol, I think he's saying it's warped elsewhere besides the curved edges. I'm sure felloffthetruck has had a number of older Notes to know the screen edges are curved as well as the protectors made for them.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Lol, I think he's saying it's warped elsewhere besides the curved edges. I'm sure felloffthetruck has had a number of older Notes to know the screen edges are curved as well as the protectors made for them.

I figured as much, but I didn't fully understand because I think the shadow he mentions is actually normal. lol

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I honestly think WSD is riding high on their previous success and are trying to save money because of the state of the world right now, but they are not caring to even TRY and provide any customer support. They send out an automated email that the COVID stuff is hampering their support, but even when you DO get any communication, it's just more excuses and automated. If you get a response from a person, they just fall on the floor and you get even more automated responses.

They are STILL sending me automated emails for complaints I already have been given a refund for, so I am not even writing back.

darkkterror

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I submitted a warranty request for my WSD on August 22 for spidering along the edges. To this day I still have not received any updates on it. Their website claims it is still in "Processing".

After seeing drop tests for the Note 20 Ultra I'm actually thinking about pulling the screen protector off and going without.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I submitted a warranty request for my WSD on August 22 for spidering along the edges. To this day I still have not received any updates on it. Their website claims it is still in "Processing".

After seeing drop tests for the Note 20 Ultra I'm actually thinking about pulling the screen protector off and going without.
I have a similar experience. One of the 2 glass protectors they sent me was shattered. Did a warranty request of 8/24. Haven't heard anything back. After 30 days I'll start bugging them.

Last edited:

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I jave a similar experience. One of the 2 glass protectors they sent me was shattered. Did a warranty request of 8/24. Haven't heard anything back. After 30 days I'll start bugging them.

Good luck guys. In 30 days working with Customer Support, I have had 2 automated emails and one that looked like it was written by someone asking me to send in pictures (so 3 emails total).

If mine starts to break, I am taking it off and writing them off and never sending them any more of my money and business.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Personally I have never used one but a few friends have with good luck. With the price you pay for one you half way towards paying for insurance from Upsie. I use a protector from Amazon for under 10 bucks and it works great so far plus I got three glass protectors in the package.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Personally I have never used one but a few friends have with good luck. With the price you pay for one you half way towards paying for insurance from Upsie. I use a protector from Amazon for under 10 bucks and it works great so far plus I got three glass protectors in the package.

Can you link the one you went with?

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site

Yes, the glass is warped in the middle left side of the screen. I know that the edges are curved. It was causing shadows on light colored screens that was driving me crazy. Here is a picture of the WSD dome I removed and you can see the different shaded area that I'm talking about.

dome03.jpgnotescreen2.jpg