T-Mobile users make sure you're using a 5G SIM card.

BigMosley

Aug 19, 2020
Visit site
Just saw on twitter that if you have a 5G device on T-Mobile and you are using your old 4G SIM card you need to get a new pink "R15" SIM card. My N20U is unlocked from Samsung so I didn't get this new SIM card but I am requesting one from T-Mobile online now. I'm wondering if this is why my T-Mobile 5G speeds have been slower than my 4G speeds?

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/de...cmpid=MGPO_SS_C_SVCMSG_LUED3SQVQJ1JN1U7P58686

Attachments

• 12458.jpg
    12458.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I wonder if this is the same way with AT&T. Their 5G coverage map shows my area covered but I only ever get 4G and I have had the same sim card since my Note 8.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if this is the same way with AT&T. Their 5G coverage map shows my area covered but I only ever get 4G and I have had the same sim card since my Note 8.

If I recall, you will need one for AT&T, but you will also need to be on a 5G plan. It'll cost you more. :(

One of the many many many many (you get the idea) reasons I am not with AT&T anymore.

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
If I recall, you will need one for AT&T, but you will also need to be on a 5G plan. It'll cost you more. :(

One of the many many many many (you get the idea) reasons I am not with AT&T anymore.

I'm already on their 5G plan. Ended up costing me $5 more a month than my old plan so I said might as well.

aknotts66

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
I just asked T-Mobile and they told me this...

T-Mobile Twitter: Thank you so much for filling that out, and for your patience as I did a bit of digging on this! The Note20 Ultra 5G doesn't have access to our stand alone 5G network at this point in time, so there is no need for a new SIM card at this point in time :) If anything changes with that, you would be notified by a text that you'd want that new SIM to get the best 5G connection :)

Me: So wait the Note 20 Ultra 5G doesn't have 5G on T-Mobiles Network?

T-Mobile Twitter: Oh man! I'm so sorry for the confusion, Alex, it definitely does have 5G! Phew, sorry for the scare that I just gave you there haha - let me explain what that meant by the stand alone 5G network.

As we roll out 5G, we have a few different components. The first, which makes up our nationwide 5G footprint, is what's called "Non-standalone 5G". This relies on mid-band LTE coverage in order to access 5G, and is what your phone (and most 5G devices) has access to, as well as the most widespread 5G signal we have available.

Recently, we have begun rolling out stand alone 5G as well, which does not require LTE signal in order to receive 5G. With SA, the device connects to the 5G radio and core network. This type of 5G connection does require a new SIM, but isn't available nationwide yet, and is not accessible on all 5G devices. I hope that helps to clear up some of that confusion!

SeanD_Colorado

Nov 13, 2019
Visit site
Funny enough, my T-Mobile Note 20 Ultra came with an R15 SIM that never seemed to work right, though 5G wasn't the issue. I kept having issues where it would occassionally tell me "No SIM installed, Emergency Calls Only", lose the mobile data connection, texts not being received etc.

They finally sent me a new SIM which I recieved on Tuesday, but the new one is *not* marked R15. However the issues I was having seem to have gone away with the change in SIM. I am not sure if there is also an issue with the R15 SIM? Or more likely I just happened to get a faulty one. But the new non-R15 I received seems to be working fine.

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
I just asked T-Mobile and they told me this...

T-Mobile Twitter: Thank you so much for filling that out, and for your patience as I did a bit of digging on this! The Note20 Ultra 5G doesn't have access to our stand alone 5G network at this point in time, so there is no need for a new SIM card at this point in time :) If anything changes with that, you would be notified by a text that you'd want that new SIM to get the best 5G connection :)

Me: So wait the Note 20 Ultra 5G doesn't have 5G on T-Mobiles Network?

T-Mobile Twitter: Oh man! I'm so sorry for the confusion, Alex, it definitely does have 5G! Phew, sorry for the scare that I just gave you there haha - let me explain what that meant by the stand alone 5G network.

As we roll out 5G, we have a few different components. The first, which makes up our nationwide 5G footprint, is what's called "Non-standalone 5G". This relies on mid-band LTE coverage in order to access 5G, and is what your phone (and most 5G devices) has access to, as well as the most widespread 5G signal we have available.

Recently, we have begun rolling out stand alone 5G as well, which does not require LTE signal in order to receive 5G. With SA, the device connects to the 5G radio and core network. This type of 5G connection does require a new SIM, but isn't available nationwide yet, and is not accessible on all 5G devices. I hope that helps to clear up some of that confusion!

So does it have 5G standalone access now or not? I know on S20 ultra I recieved an update about a month ago that said in update it enabled SA 5G. Haven't seen on Note's update but could have come with it. And rep wasn't clear, he could have meant, yes it has 5G (None-Standalone)

Cletis169_1

Aug 29, 2018
Visit site
I have had the same Sim for 2 years now and mine gets 5G. But I think I don't get as good of 5G as I should in San Diego. Should I try and swap with a new one?

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

SeanD_Colorado

Nov 13, 2019
Visit site
Having read through the articles below, I did just contact T-Mobile to have them replace the SIM they just sent me with an R15 SIM. They said that they definitely should have replaced my R15 with another R15 and that they are overnighting me a replacement. We shall see how that works with tomorrow being Friday and it being late in the day. But I am sure I can live until Monday hahaha.

https://www.tmonews.com/2020/09/t-mobile-standalone-5g-r15-sim-card-customers/

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/latest-sim-for-great-network-experience

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah occasionally I get no service even I put on lte/3g/2g so some kind of bug , as of now I'm running my Att sim .

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Yeah occasionally I get no service even I put on lte/3g/2g so some kind of bug , as of now I'm running my Att sim .
Huh
d6c77f0e9f565c11976610dd1a06e8bf.gif