com.android.phone issue on Note 20 Ultra

BarneyRebel

Oct 4, 2020
Visit site
Ok I uninstalled the apps, one by one. I think I only have the basics installed now. I will try to attach a screenshot. The only apps not shown that are on page 2 of the apps is TIPS and YOUTUBE
Im open for suggestion. Even after powering down and reboot, as it is now it still has the error

Screenshot_20201006-184535_One UI Home.jpg

Last edited:

BarneyRebel

Oct 4, 2020
Visit site
I got a replacement phone today. Im going to install one app at a time. i want to try to let it update to the latest software first because thats when the issue starts, after the update

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
You had battery issues before, something more likely from hardware side butcould be software. Monitor that with something reliable.

You really are all in on Google suite of apps. I have almost none and disable others, like Chrome especially.

Unlike desktop, can a phone have too many apps with similar features?

You old phone was fine... until the point where you restored from backup.

Monitoring the system - is there something better than Malwarebytes to use?

BarneyRebel

Oct 4, 2020
Visit site
I had battery issues yes on my old Note8, not on the 20.
The problem didn't start with a backup / phone restore, it actually started when I was pushed a phone software update. That was always the time it screwed up.
Another thing in common was that each time I restored or got a new phone, I had already restored the apps before the phone update came. The phone worked great before I got a software update. Once I got the update the phone app itself would continuously crash. Even after uninstalling all of the apps (after the problem starts) the problem did not end, it was still crashing.
So I'm on my 3rd phone now and so far so good. This is what I did so far.

Before i put my SD card in, i removed all files on it except any music or photos. Everything else was removed.
Boot up, log in, and did not restore any apps. I skipped everything, it only installed what I could not stop from being installed.
I went and downloaded the software update that was the root of the issue (for me), and so far all is well.
I used Samsung restore to first only restore my settings, contacts, text and phone history. Im still OK
I have been installing apps one by one. I have all of my email set up, texts, apps installed that I need like Ring, Starbucks, Rachio, OpenTable, house alarm, etc. yes i need Starbucks no comments.
But I am running OK. I have the update. I have a working phone, and Ill just go an app at a time. If anything changes Ill keep you posted but I'm looking good at the moment

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I had battery issues yes on my old Note8, not on the 20.
The problem didn't start with a backup / phone restore, it actually started when I was pushed a phone software update. That was always the time it screwed up.
Another thing in common was that each time I restored or got a new phone, I had already restored the apps before the phone update came. The phone worked great before I got a software update. Once I got the update the phone app itself would continuously crash. Even after uninstalling all of the apps (after the problem starts) the problem did not end, it was still crashing.
So I'm on my 3rd phone now and so far so good. This is what I did so far.

Before i put my SD card in, i removed all files on it except any music or photos. Everything else was removed.
Boot up, log in, and did not restore any apps. I skipped everything, it only installed what I could not stop from being installed.
I went and downloaded the software update that was the root of the issue (for me), and so far all is well.
I used Samsung restore to first only restore my settings, contacts, text and phone history. Im still OK
I have been installing apps one by one. I have all of my email set up, texts, apps installed that I need like Ring, Starbucks, Rachio, OpenTable, house alarm, etc. yes i need Starbucks no comments.
But I am running OK. I have the update. I have a working phone, and Ill just go an app at a time. If anything changes Ill keep you posted but I'm looking good at the moment
Also maybe something corrupt with sd card

BarneyRebel

Oct 4, 2020
Visit site
Definitely, that's why before I put it in the phone I scanned it with AV and Malwarebytes, and removed anything that wasn't something that I wanted. When I put it in the phone it had music and images only, nothing else

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
I'm going through this issue now. The phone is fine with the exception of a few glitches on pages and apps, but the main issue is the 5g not working. Same thing was told to me about the known issues with Samsung and the networks. If I don't have 5g by Thursday(I was told to travel to a few places near me by the return call), my phone would be replaced. Thursday makes 10 days with a 14 day return window.

BarneyRebel

Oct 4, 2020
Visit site
I bought mine at Costco, they have a 90 day return policy. If it was 14 days for me I would have been stuck because the update came between the 3rd and 4th week
The flash that was done at the Samsung store didn't seem to work, because once I restored everything the error appeared.
Do you have an SD card? Did you get a 5G sim?
If you have the SD card and your issue is similar to mine I would remove the SD card at this point, then start restoring apps a little at a time

I am still running here, no errors. I am installing apps as I need them. Instead of restoring I am going to the google play store and installing one at a time.
Id rather do that than having to return the phone again, or have to get a different phone as a last resort.
Its a great phone, I don't want to give it up.

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
I bought mine at Costco, they have a 90 day return policy. If it was 14 days for me I would have been stuck because the update came between the 3rd and 4th week
The flash that was done at the Samsung store didn't seem to work, because once I restored everything the error appeared.
Do you have an SD card? Did you get a 5G sim?
If you have the SD card and your issue is similar to mine I would remove the SD card at this point, then start restoring apps a little at a time

I am still running here, no errors. I am installing apps as I need them. Instead of restoring I am going to the google play store and installing one at a time.
Id rather do that than having to return the phone again, or have to get a different phone as a last resort.
Its a great phone, I don't want to give it up.

Today made a week that I received my phone. With that being said my new SD card won't be here til Thursday. So running no card there, yet. The SIM card in the phone is a white card and from the rep said it should give me 5g, especially in my area. The 5g only blipped for a second once, no more after that. I didn't get a chance to check the phone around town today, unfortunately. Maybe tomorrow.

Another strange few things are happening as well. Every night my phone seems to restart. I do have it on to restart twice a week but not every evening. After yesterday I have a "MCM client" constantly trying to download on my secure folder. I've tried everything to do it to include the cache steps. Last issue is some pages on search engines seem to flicker.

I love the phone and will keep either this one or a replacement but the glitches are nervy.

Sprint/T-Mobile gives their customers a 14- day return vs their old 30- day return window, which is not a good move on their behalf.

His Black Pearl

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
I'm having that same issue as well and it is so flustrating, I'm have a paperweight at the moment and this is crazy. 1 month with the phone 🤦🏾*♀️

Has anyone else had this issue with the note 20 ultra? I've gone through 2 phones so far under warranty, going on my third.
I was enjoying everything on the phone until my first software update. And once the update was installed, that first phone never worked again. It seems to burn up the sim card somehow. At first we were using the older 4G sim, the 5G wasn't in the store yet.

Anyway what we did in the store was to program the Sim, then put it in the T-Mobile reps phone to test it out. it worked fine. Then we put it in my phone, it still said com.android.phone had stopped working. so we put the sim back in his phone, and the sim would not work in his phone anymore. We looked online for anyone else with the same issue, and we found a similar issue on a note 10, but that was it. We tried all of the steps we read about for that Note 10 fix, clear the phone cache and the data. Finally we factory reset the phone, it didn't work. we burned up 3 sims on this stop at the T-Mobile store in San Bernardino.
So we ordered a new phone under warranty and I received the phone in a few days.

I went to the T-Mobile store in San Diego, they had the new 5G sim cards now, so we used one of them. This should eliminate the 4G sim card question.
I restored everything, I was back to normal. I had my phone back and it worked.
Then that night I received a pop up notice saying that the phone wanted to do an update. I was like nooooo way! I said no. It told me i could delay 2 more times and that was it. So on the 3rd day with my working phone T-Mobile forced an update to me. After the reboot, guess what... there it is again...
com.android.phone had stopped working

So i call T-Mobile, i have hours on the phone with these guys. Anyway they do a 3 way call with Samsung. Samsung says its a known issue, so i would have to take it to a Samsung repair center and get the phone flashed with the latest software. Luckily for me I went to the repair store as soon as the store opened, and within 3 hours my phone had the new software i i picked it up. The phone worked but i had to restore it yet, so I spent the rest of the day restoring, logging the apps in, you know the drill. It was hours. The phone worked great, no issues.
Then, i went to sleep
When i woke up I turned the phone on. Guess what
com.android.phone had stopped working

Am I the only one on the planet that had the problem with 2 phones? Samsung is aware of the issue, the repair center read about it, but I cant find anyone else online that had this issue.

Luckily I bought it at Costco, they give you 90 days to return, and its only been just over a month.
Im returning this one and getting one last note 20. Last try.

Has anyone else had or heard of this on the Note 20 Ultra?

BarneyRebel

Oct 4, 2020
Visit site
If I had to do it all over again, and i knew what I know now i would:

* Factory reset the phone. To do this, power the phone down, then hold the power button and the volume up button at the same time. When you see the logo appear let it go. It will boot into a menu. Its tiny text, might need glasses :) Choose factory reset, then choose wipe cache, then choose restart phone.
* Delete everything on my SD card Except my music or pictures. Then run an AV program and Malwarebytes on it.
*install a new sim card, because the error seemed to be corrupting my sim.
* Boot the phone, log into google and don't restore any app that you can restore on your own, example to restore would be the settings, messages, contacts and phone history. Nothing else to restore for now. Not even starbucks :)
* Let the phone finish the initial boot.
* Go to settings /software update / download and install
You should be ok at the moment. Put the SD card back in now.

You can use Samsung restore to reinstall any apps that you need. I had multiple backups to choose from here, so I restored my apps mainly from my oldest backup that I knew worked, my Note 8. I would install only a few at a time at the most, so if the issue comes up again you can narrow down what app may be causing the issue.
So far my phone has been running fine for 4 days, so I'm pretty confident that ill be OK now. But I'm worried about the next update and If I get through that Ill be home free.
So if you are having the same issue as I had, I hope this helps steer you in the right direction.

BarneyRebel

Oct 4, 2020
Visit site
So here's my latest

The issue came up again, the same exact problem. I was running great for a week.
I called Samsung, they agree there is an issue however they want me to send my phone to them so they can troubleshoot it. I cant just do that again because they don't know when they can send it back to me. I need a phone for work. I said i would need a loaner, any phone at all would be ok and then they could troubleshoot it all they want. But they don't do that loaner program. no exceptions.
So I have to return the 3rd phone to the store where i bought it, and Samsung will not get my phone to troubleshoot on. It seems stupid to me that since I have the live error on my phone they would want it, but they will not make any exceptions for a loaner, and (Samsung rep) realizes that they wont get the phone I have with the issue on it to test.
What a waste of everyone's time troubleshooting the issue.
So I have to jump ship unfortunately. I cant have this phone I guess. I'm getting a OnePlus 8T for now, T-Mobile is giving me a bazillion credits on my account for going through all of the trouble, and I'm actually getting this 8T phone for almost free. So I cant complain for now about that, but it isn't my Note. Ill have to wait for the next great Note phone before I can come back.. Sux 4 me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non