Manufacturer Warranty questions.

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
I read up about this last night. Sure enough is from the original purchase date unless the carrier gives you something like a 90-day. Not sure about Samsung themselves but yeah, at 11.5 months you only get another 2 weeks unless specifically expressed in the paperwork for many. Kinda tacky if you ask me...:-(

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
When I worked for Verizon when you purchased a phone it had a 1 years manufacturing warranty, if it was replaced for any reason via warranty the replacement device is covered under the same 1 year warranty covered by the original purchase and purchase date.

Now this may have been Verizon exclusive but the warranty phone also had a 90 day guarentee as well. This 90 day would carry past the original warranty date.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I read up about this last night. Sure enough is from the original purchase date unless the carrier gives you something like a 90-day. Not sure about Samsung themselves but yeah, at 11.5 months you only get another 2 weeks unless specifically expressed in the paperwork for many. Kinda tacky if you ask me...:-(

They only warranty original purchase date. Not sure it's really tacky. The replacement service is for convenience so you don't have to send phone in for repair and wait for it to be fixed and returned. They could just keep repairing your original phone which will take longer and you could be without a phone. Just a thought.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
They only warranty original purchase date. Not sure it's really tacky. The replacement service is for convenience so you don't have to send phone in for repair and wait for it to be fixed and returned. They could just keep repairing your original phone which will take longer and you could be without a phone. Just a thought.
What about if you shipped to be repaired, they decided send a refurbished or new whatever they decided , that should carry a warranty no ?
Not same device, different imei number, I can understand if they repaired the original and sent it back to follow the existing 1 year warranty. Just curious on this and good topic .

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site

I still stand on being tacky, especially for someone that pays dearly for insurance. Double insured here. If they send you a refurbished device, who knows what may go wrong with the device. I'd rather my device be fixed and sent back vs a replacement myself.

There is an area for abuse and I get that but to me they should stick behind the product if there's a replacement. If it's mine, I'll take the original warranty and deal with it. IMHO

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
What about if you shipped to be repaired, they decided send a refurbished or new whatever they decided , that should carry a warranty no ?
Not same device, different imei number, I can understand if they repaired the original and sent it back to follow the existing 1 year warranty. Just curious on this and good topic .
I've always just had my devices swapped out by Verizon so that's how I feel with the warranty as I stated above.

You bring up an interesting point. If you send the phone in for repair under warranty and they send you a refurb back.. IMO I don't think it should reset the year warranty, it should have the remainder of your original date warranty or 90 days whichever is longer.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
When I worked for Verizon when you purchased a phone it had a 1 years manufacturing warranty, if it was replaced for any reason via warranty the replacement device is covered under the same 1 year warranty covered by the original purchase and purchase date.

Now this may have been Verizon exclusive but the warranty phone also had a 90 day guarentee as well. This 90 day would carry past the original warranty date.
Correct and this is similar to how Asurian does it with replacement devices under the damage warranty.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You won't get an extra year on the new device no matter how you slice and dice it. You might get 90 days on a refurbished depending on who the OEM or carrier is.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

HoosierDaddy

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
In general, warranty clocks are on the initial purchase. But common for there to be a minimal amount after a replacement for infant death type scenarios. Discretionary extensions are also sometimes granted. Speaking generically, not about some specific product.

The reason the clock is based on the initial purchase date is primarily to avoid incentivizing someone to "create" a problem late in the warranty period if it meant the warranty clock starts over.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
That makes a lot of sense. Some people will try to take advantage of the situation.
The reason the clock is based on the initial purchase date is primarily to avoid incentivizing someone to "create" a problem late in the warranty period if it meant the warranty clock starts over.

customshopkv1

Feb 26, 2020
Visit site
I run the warranty department for the company I work for. Our policy is from the original purchase date unless addition or extended warranty is purchased. We will "in good faith" warranty items, at my discretion but there are many determining factors.

I have to explain this daily as many customers believe warranty should "start over" when an item is replaced.