SD card will not format. Note20 ultra 5g

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Have been unable to format my Sd card in my note20 ultra 5g. Format screen shows 20% then goes to the black screen with samsung on it when you 1st turn phone on. This lasts about 10 minutes before phone screen comes back on. Any help would be appreciated,thanks

Lee12345678901

Dec 2, 2020
Visit site
Have been unable to format my Sd card in my note20 ultra 5g. Format screen shows 20% then goes to the black screen with samsung on it when you 1st turn phone on. This lasts about 10 minutes before phone screen comes back on. Any help would be appreciated,thanks

Hi all,thanks for replies. The sd card is a Huawei pro plus. Bought from the dreaded fleabay. Will format on my laptop,but when I put back in phone it says card needs formatting

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The other day I tested a few "32GB" microSD cards that I had gotten from Wish - and they all returned only the first block - which was unreadable. So why did I buy them? The card plus the reader were cheaper than buying the same reader just as a reader. (Go figure the psychology of that one.) The cards are either 16KB (which I can't format in Windows, and I don't want to reboot to Linux) or they're just defective. (I could report them as defective to Wish - they issue refunds with no problem - but I got what I wanted, so it wouldn't be honest. [I really didn't expect 32GB cards for the price. Maybe 64KB working cards, but they would have gone into a little plastic case as "defective but they fill the slot anyway" cards, which they still do.])

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The other day I tested a few "32GB" microSD cards that I had gotten from Wish - and they all returned only the first block - which was unreadable. So why did I buy them? The card plus the reader were cheaper than buying the same reader just as a reader. (Go figure the psychology of that one.) The cards are either 16KB (which I can't format in Windows, and I don't want to reboot to Linux) or they're just defective. (I could report them as defective to Wish - they issue refunds with no problem - but I got what I wanted, so it wouldn't be honest. [I really didn't expect 32GB cards for the price. Maybe 64KB working cards, but they would have gone into a little plastic case as "defective but they fill the slot anyway" cards, which they still do.])
Thanks for checking on this

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You're welcome. :)

The point was that a $2 SD card at wish isn't going to be a 32GB card (let alone a larger one) - but the readers are over $3 when purchased alone. Since I needed a few, and I could get them "picked up" (no shipping), I saved about $10 all told. (For one it probably wouldn't be worth the wait - Amazon has them for about $8. Even eBay has them from a US source for under $4.)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You're welcome. :)

The point was that a $2 SD card at wish isn't going to be a 32GB card (let alone a larger one) - but the readers are over $3 when purchased alone. Since I needed a few, and I could get them "picked up" (no shipping), I saved about $10 all told. (For one it probably wouldn't be worth the wait - Amazon has them for about $8. Even eBay has them from a US source for under $4.)
The readers are ok though to purchase from them ?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I got 10 of them. They all work fine. (I just now finished copying 5 iso files of about 3GB each to a 512GB card - and they went with no problem.)

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
Same here. Wow, like you stuck at 20%, it also did the same thing in another device originally hence why I thought I'd also try to format it in my N20U. It was a transcend 64GB genuine from the manufacturer itself.