Turn on WiFi Automatically not working?

RTD212

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone else use this feature and if so noticed that it doesn't work after the Android 11 update? I'm trying to figure out if it's a permission issues or it's software related. Any feedback is appreciated!

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
For my mobile game controller I've setup a Bixby routine where once the game controller connects via BT, wifi and do not disturb turn on. Works ace. Once I turn off the controller, wifi and DND goes back off to previous.
Does anyone else use this feature and if so noticed that it doesn't work after the Android 11 update? I'm trying to figure out if it's a permission issues or it's software related. Any feedback is appreciated!

D.P.G.

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I've having the same issue since Android 11 update, clearing map cache and data didn't resolve the problem. Also tried wipe cache at boot up. Smart Lock is working fine so Google Maps is properly finding my location. I also tried removing each remembered network setting then putting them back there is even a wifi location option now and it also is showing correctly.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've having the same issue since Android 11 update, clearing map cache and data didn't resolve the problem. Also tried wipe cache at boot up. Smart Lock is working fine so Google Maps is properly finding my location. I also tried removing each remembered network setting then putting them back there is even a wifi location option now and it also is showing correctly.
Did you force stop after data clear?

D.P.G.

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
No I did not force stop I neglected that step will try again doing that. Just curious not at all questioning you just want to understand what does force stopping it actually do?

RTD212

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site

Verizon just pushed an update that I think has fixed the issue. It just saved my home location Wifi.

D.P.G.

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I tried clearing cache and data in Google maps and a force stop, also removed saved WiFi locations and put hem back. In the advanced wifi settings there is a location tab and it's showing the correct location. It also shows the last time it turned on or off the WiFi was December 16 th. one day before the Android 11 update. Smart Lock works so I must believe Google maps is finding a proper location. I think it's broke unless anyone has another suggestion. I don't have the ambition to do a factory reset.

Bob31464

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Why would using this be better than leaving wifi enabled? I am asking seriously, I've never used this setting and don't know the benefits. Is it better or simply a preference?

RTD212

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
I have unlimited data and I prefer that than some random wifi at Starbucks. And if I'm not near wifi, why leave it in scanning looking for a network to connect to?

D.P.G.

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
What it did was turn wifi on when I got home or at work and off everywhere else it doesn't rely on scanning but on a map location. This prevented it from trying to constantly connect to networks I don't want if wifi is left on. It was just a convenient option. I know it's not a big deal to manually turn it on and off when but when you had something that worked well for years and it's gone you investigate if there is a way to get it functioning again.

Bob31464

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reponses. I may give it a try. I've always left wifi on and never thought anything about it.

Does this help battery life any?