Greetings...I Have Never Owned An Android And Have A Couple of Questions

ajm91484

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I have been an iphone user since day 1 and well due to this ios 7 have made the decision to come to android. Seeing how I have never used an android before, my first question is: What is bloatware? I keep seeing that term float around and have not the slightest clue what it is or means. 2. My friend has the Samsung Galaxy S 4 and we were both using our devices to go to zedge.com to browse ringtones. (I currently have the iphone 4s) However he was telling me he wasn't too sure about downloading anything because he didn't want to get malware or get a virus. I've never had that be an issue with my iphone, is this something that I will have to be afraid of going to android, or is he just over paranoid? He also said his phone is "rooted" so he can do what he wishes with it I guess, so I didn't know if that was something that would be the reason for him being paranoid.
I'm thinking of getting the Samsung Galaxy Note 3, I really like the size and things I have read about the phone have all been a positive. Last question, how does the camera on the note 3 compare to the iphone 5s or 5c camera? I enjoy taking lots of pictures and want to make sure this would be the way to go as far as an android phone.

Thank you in advance.

TeamPowerstroke

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Bloatware is the apps samsung or the carrier puts on the phone mostly useless apps, I use zedge all the time and no issues. Havent seen the cam on the 5s so can't say

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

ajm91484

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Ok, so if you don't want them there is a way to remove them. I'm glad there isn't any issues your having with Zedge, I use that site on a daily basis and would be sad if there were to be issues downloading things from it. Thank you for your help.

ajm91484

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Ok that makes me feel better, thank you again. I have a feeling I will like it a lot better too, just will take some time getting used to it.

dodong27

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
The camera specs on the Note 3 is incredible!
With it's 13MP back and 2MP front camera.
Video is 1080p Full HD and can even record 4K.

ajm91484

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
That is really good, I wasn't sure how the camera would be compared to apples, but if i'm not mistaken I believe that may be better than apples or equivalent. Thank you

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Coming from an iPhone last year, it took me owning both the GS3, and the Nexus 4 concurrently to figure out what was stock Android, and what was TouchWiz. Good luck coming to the dark side. There are many people here that would love to help out!

BeRich

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
You can remove the bloatware if you root your device (comparable to jailbreaking for iDevices). There are also antivirus apps in the PlayStore (I use Lookout--it's antivirus and a way to track your device if it's ever lost/stole so a 2-for-1 deal there). As for the camera, my Note 2 had an 8 MP camera and I was okay with that; the Note 3 has a 13 MP camera so even better. Once you learn to play with the settings for the camera, you'll be taking awesome pics in no time. Here's a picture of my dog I took with my Note 2 using the solarize effect and no other editing at all:

And here's a picture with no settings changed or editing done I took in daylight restaurant lighting:

dodong27

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
That is really good, I wasn't sure how the camera would be compared to apples, but if i'm not mistaken I believe that may be better than apples or equivalent. Thank you

If you read the iPhone 5s camera spec, it's the same as the iPhone 5... iPhone is stuck with an 8MP. smh...

GtoJon

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone is a chick phone! Sorry, but anybody that locks you down that hard has got to be afraid! I have downloaded the 1000s of apps with absolutely no recourse on 4 different android phones! Bloatware is just there, that's all! Really is very easy to customize if you need to! Everything about it is customizable without rooting the damn thing ..... I have never rooted & never will! Another plus is the battery .... I know I am a light user, but 6 days with Note 2 on a charge is great! I also carry a spare battery with me & bang .... good for another 6 days!

I always tease my tough Texas brother about his chick phone & he can never come back with a real positive about his 4s .... his girl friend has an S3! Only on AT&T can the iPhone talk & surf! All android phones can talk & surf!

Cheers, Jon

dodong27

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Here's a picture of my dog I took with my Note 2 using the solarize effect and no other editing at all:
[url]http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg570/followBelinda/Android/20130331_125729_zps5bf1b3fd.jpg[/URL]

And here's a picture with no settings changed or editing done I took in daylight restaurant lighting:
[url]http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg570/followBelinda/Android/20130218_131814_zps4259ac05.jpg[/URL]

Not only is your dog super cute... you got me really hungry now!!!

ajm91484

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Ya see I don't even know what stock Android or TouchWiz is lol...I've been reading a lot of the posts in the forums and i've noticed a lot of really awesome people that are willing to help and answer all of my numerous questions I'm sure I will have lol.

ajm91484

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Thank you for the pictures, they look really good, cute dog too. I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to root, but I"m sure I can figure it out by doing step by step instructions if disabling the bloatware wasn't fixing issues. So thank you for the advice :)

dodong27

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Ya see I don't even know what stock Android or TouchWiz is lol...I've been reading a lot of the posts in the forums and i've noticed a lot of really awesome people that are willing to help and answer all of my numerous questions I'm sure I will have lol.

I was in the same boat as you are now like a year ago. I'm coming from iPhone 4s to Note 2, all I did was read up on forums like this and people has been really cool in helping you out.

Good luck buddy!

Also, I never get tired when people say, "Damn that phone is big!" and I reply, is that your Fisher Price Toy phone. =)

ajm91484

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Thank you GtoJon and I would have to agree after the last update to ios 7 it really is a girly phone. That's good to know about the battery, because that was going to be another topic i was going to bring up. I've heard a lot of people say the battery dies a lot quicker, but when I thought about it, it's really how much you use your phone and which things you have going on in the background etc.

dodong27

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Also, a must-have photo editing app you can use is Pixlr Express. It has a ton of features and filters and best of all: it's free.

Cool Thanks... I use the Samsung Photo Editor I believe the one that came from S3 or S4.. I would tell you how I got it but I forgot where I got from, lol.