Performance issues? Really?

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
It is a gimmick right now in the iPhonie !
That 64bit processor (Made by Samsung) can not be utilized with only 1gig of ram. It's basically useless !
Apple iPhone 5s 64-bit A7 chip made by Samsung - Smartphones & PDA Phones
Once Samsung puts a 64bit in their devices with 4gigs of ram it'll blow everything out of the water !
iPhone 5S 64-bit chip is 'a gimmick with zero benefit' | CNET UK

The iphone5S isn't that much faster than the iphone 5 even with the 64gig chip.
This proves what I'm saying above.

iPhone 5S vs. iPhone 5 - YouTube

Not according to this article and a few others. Apple's 64-bit A7 Processor: How It's Ushering In a New Era | Digital Trends

From the article:
Speed: The iPhone 5S does get performance benefits from going 64-bit. Early results from iPhone 5S review units tested with Primate Labs’ Geekbench tool (nods to private sources, AnandTech and Daring Fireball) for measuring processor performance show:
The iPhone 5S 64-bit mode outperformed 32-bit mode by up to 25 percent. That means most apps will get a free performance boost just for recompiling to 64-bit.
The iPhone 5S processor is about twice as fast as the iPhone 5 in everything but memory access (that’s 1.4x faster).
The iPhone 5S about 25 percent faster than the iPhone 5 for everyday Web browsing (some Javascript tests are twice as fast as 5).

"The 64-bit A7 isn’t just a marketing stunt. It delivers real performance benefits for apps right now."

Like I said, soon as android and samsung gets 64Bit, it will cease to be a "gimmick" No fandroid is going to admit that apple did something good or beneficial before android. That Cnet UK article is some guy blowing smoke out his ***. I love how he calls it a gimmick but says they are making a 64 bit chip as fast as they can.. hah. So if its a gimmick Why would you waste money to Copy Apple?
Haters gunna hate, even if they are proven wrong.....

Last edited:

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I believe the benefits of the iPhone's A7 are real, but not ever real enough to pull me away from the liberation that is Android. They could put a V8 powered by sunlight in that thing and I'd not go back.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Woa what is up with the gallery taking that long to come up? That's nuts!

sent from my Galaxy Note 2

Botti

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
A message

You seem to forget, that the Apple's new CPU adds other features too than the 64bits. I think those mean much more in that phone than the wasted bits. The recompiling probably just took the new instructions and registers and used them for optimization, but there is no reason why the cpu designers couldn't have added those without 64bits. Samsung has now 3gb ram. Next year it might as well be the 4gb, and then the bits really start mattering.

In any case, Note3 just happens to be fastest multi-tasking phone on the planet. It also has screen more suitable to be actually used and the pen too for various purposes. I don't understand how iPhone could compete in a serious race for productivity.

Hyunato

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
In the past when viewing video reviews for Samsung phones, I always noticed the UI being laggy at times. This was because of TouchWiz. A lot of people had experience with iOS which didn't lag at all. (on the latest devices)
For me, I noticed the smoothness Android could provide with my 2012 Nexus 7, Galaxy Nexus and HTC One. Note here that the HTC One has a skin on top of Android as well like Samsung.

I can definitely notice laggy UI on the Note 3, but I already expected that. I'm waiting for the Cyanogenmod installer so I never have to use TouchWiz again.
If you're coming from other Samsung devices, I don't think you need to worry. If you come from silky smooth experiences, you might want to play around with the phone in a store before you buy it.

power5

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
AnandTech | Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Review

In this review, there are a total of 20 benchmarks. The iPhone can't run every single test that android can because its not as "open"
The iPhone 5S is in 11 of those 20 test. The A7 Beats the Note 3 in 7 of 11 tests. But, the LG G2 also has a SD800 and the A7 beats it in 10 of 11 tests.
Samsung's version of the Note 3 SD800 is most likely a "special" version just like the SD600 in the S4.

Of course the A7 is a dual core clocked at nearly a full Ghz lower than the SD800. A7 GPU is quad core.

Again, you are comparing the phone and browser and OS in many of those benchmarks. Again, I do not doubt that the iphone is faster than android in most of those. Android OS has much more overhead. The browser tests is comparing just that. Yeah the CPU play a part, but that is not the whole story. Again, your original quote said that the A7 was better than the S800. I still disagree with that statement. The 5s is pretty much on par with the N3 in most tests.

Core count is not important. I have never thought it was. Look at intel vs AMD. AMD uses cores to offset their single threaded inefficiencies. 8 core is barely keeping up with intel 4 core.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
You can't go by some of the reviews that come out. Some of them are icrap lovers, don't like big phones, hate Samsung all together and it comes out in there review. Now about the benchmark scam by Samsung. My question is how? When reviewers and owners ran their own benchmarks and got high scores. How does this have anything to do with Samsung?

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
My question is how? When reviewers and owners ran their own benchmarks and got high scores. How does this have anything to do with Samsung?

Apparently, Samsung (as well as most other manufacturers but not Apple or Motorola) put code into their version of Android to put the processor into a special state when it detected that certain programs were running. It appears that by simply renaming the specific programs, the GN3 numbers drop by up to 20%.

Botti

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Apparently, Samsung (as well as most other manufacturers but not Apple or Motorola) put code into their version of Android to put the processor into a special state when it detected that certain programs were running. It appears that by simply renaming the specific programs, the GN3 numbers drop by up to 20%.

You don't have to do even that. Just keep repeating the testing and the phone slows down when it heats. At least I got worse points from every repeat of Antutu until I let it cool down display off, in which point the points went back to the top level.

Botti

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I can definitely notice laggy UI on the Note 3, but I already expected that. I'm waiting for the Cyanogenmod installer so I never have to use TouchWiz again.
If you're coming from other Samsung devices, I don't think you need to worry. If you come from silky smooth experiences, you might want to play around with the phone in a store before you buy it.

Just remember, that some of the "lag" is artificially done in sake of animations and can be disabled from the developers menu (7x touch firmware number). Also, Samsung's bravado Smart Features can cause lot of overhead. Especially the ones with front camera involved. All this of course doesn't guarantee lag free environment and I very much doubt, that even the great iPhone can do so in reality with all possible applications.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
The GN3 suffers from iOS lag where the reviewers bias says there is a lag where there clearly is none since they love iOS more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87