Phone is made in China

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I took a look at ATT white today its loose as well.....the first con I noticed reminding me how Blackberry seated their touchpads.
Very sad so true Sammy should be ashamed.

Hopefully they don't go cheapo on Active version.

Last edited:

Chris Nguyen2

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I took a look at ATT white today its loose as well.....the first con I noticed reminding me how Blackberry seated their touchpads.
Very sad so true Sammy should be ashamed.

Hopefully they don't go cheapo on Active version.

Wait so it happen on the white one as well?

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Wait so it happen on the white one as well?
yep & it was bad resembling the black gif found in link you provided.
Ive hammered my GN2 home key since release day not a tad of movement , Putting both devices side by side today seeing such shabby build quality in GN3 was very disappointing.

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Only on a few units I guess. Mine is white and it's perfect.
Black & white....color makes no difference defect will be =.
Lots of reports off loose home buttons in GN3 XDA international forums

Sammy decided to go with some cheap china home buttons that don't seat properly , How many were used will be known in coming weeks.
Same was the case with some GN2 micro usb ribbons. , many had loose connectors that went bad fast....mine for example.
A simple fix so I ordered Samsung OEM replacement Musb ribbon online , took device apart finding existing ribbon was a china made cheap part.
ALL manufactures pull such stunt to save $$ but this GN3 flaw is a major , Im pretty sure GN3 home button is built into digitizer so replacement will be difficult & costly.

Oh & it gets worse.
Many reports of weak wifi , bad voice reception , weak speaker which leads me to beleave GN3 is carrying lots of subpar parts.
Once again Samsung should be ashamed , GN series Fans / customers are getting shafted.
It really P*** me off

Hopefully they don't go cheap on Active version .

Last edited:

LunatiqueRob

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
The fact that something's made in China isn't an automatic reflection of its quality. In today's world, the vast majority of the things you use everyday were made in China, and the quality varies among them, depending on how stringent the certification processes are for each company who contracts factories in China. iPhones are made in China too, but you don't hear people ******** about its quality that much, because Apple is very strict with their manufacturing in China. Also, keep in mind that the Internet is filled with the loud voices of the very vocal minority, so if you see 20 people complaining about something, it might seem like a lot, until you factor in the hundreds of thousands of people who don't have complaints and don't jump online to declare that they are satisfied customers. Perception is easily skewed on the web for this reason.

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
The fact that something's made in China isn't an automatic reflection of its quality. In today's world, the vast majority of the things you use everyday were made in China, and the quality varies among them, depending on how stringent the certification processes are for each company who contracts factories in China. iPhones are made in China too, but you don't hear people ******** about its quality that much, because Apple is very strict with their manufacturing in China. Also, keep in mind that the Internet is filled with the loud voices of the very vocal minority, so if you see 20 people complaining about something, it might seem like a lot, until you factor in the hundreds of thousands of people who don't have complaints and don't jump online to declare that they are satisfied customers. Perception is easily skewed on the web for this reason.
Very true not all china parts are bad but most are weaker then OEM - Samsung manufactured.
True on Apple excellent China QC f,sure , I'm not getting that feel from Sammy.
If you see 20 people complain about flaw in a forum in such a short time frame its pretty wide spreed for the most part outside forum walls , At least that's how it played out in my Blackberry Crackberry days.

This home key button flaw is big time many reports online so Its pretty wide spread.
The coming weeks will be interesting...It could just be a 1st batch thing...time will tell.

Those with the perfect GN3 Im stoked for you but be very concerned about defects being reported don't dismiss so easy.
Im a hardcore Sammy Smartphone fan calling it as I see it

Last edited:

aventador779

May 18, 2012
Visit site

Then explain why exactly the quality of Ray Ban Sunglasses that are made in China are far worse than Ray Bans that are made in Italy? I've had some made in Italy and one made in China (legit, bought from Sunglass Hut) and the Chinese version was significantly worse, it was awful.

Weaser999

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site

Misparkle8shine

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Also, keep in mind that the Internet is filled with the loud voices of the very vocal minority, so if you see 20 people complaining about something, it might seem like a lot, until you factor in the hundreds of thousands of people who don't have complaints and don't jump online to declare that they are satisfied customers. Perception is easily skewed on the web for this reason.

So true.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Something from China?

No way... Go on... :eek:.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

thymeless

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't see it as a quality issue at all. I think you're naive about phone and button construction in all honesty. Most likely, the plastic button is just a cover to the actual button. The most common construction would be for this cover to float in place. Held there by the cutout in the glass and rest against the physical button parts. That there is some play is perfectly reasonable and a good thing as it helps the button work correctly. If the tolerances were so tight to prevent all play in all cases, there would be a lot of stuck home keys.

This is a design issue and a tradeoff to ensure high operability in the majority of phones. It's not a sign of a defect. The OP is off base as is the reviewer who blogged about it originally.

mrsimps

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't see it as a quality issue at all. I think you're naive about phone and button construction in all honesty. Most likely, the plastic button is just a cover to the actual button. The most common construction would be for this cover to float in place. Held there by the cutout in the glass and rest against the physical button parts. That there is some play is perfectly reasonable and a good thing as it helps the button work correctly. If the tolerances were so tight to prevent all play in all cases, there would be a lot of stuck home keys.

This is a design issue and a tradeoff to ensure high operability in the majority of phones. It's not a sign of a defect. The OP is off base as is the reviewer who blogged about it originally.

Thanks for that perspective. I think it offers a bit of balance.

LunatiqueRob

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Then explain why exactly the quality of Ray Ban Sunglasses that are made in China are far worse than Ray Bans that are made in Italy? I've had some made in Italy and one made in China (legit, bought from Sunglass Hut) and the Chinese version was significantly worse, it was awful.

Well, it just means Ray Ban wants to maximize their profit so when they decided to move manufacturing to China, they tried to cut as much of the production cost as possible, and set their standards lower than what you'd have done if you were responsible for the company's production quality assurance. If Ray Ban had demanded higher quality from their China factories, they'd have gotten it, because the factories only produce what is asked of them. So let's say you are the production manager/director for Ray Ban, and you storm into the CEO's office huffing and puffing, saying that the quality coming out of China is not of satisfactory standard, and the CEO says, "Why the hell did you think we moved manufacturing to China? We wanted to cut cost, and something's got to give. You want better quality? Take it out of your own paycheck." At that point, you would either quit the job out of disgust, or you'd do what you're told. If you quit the job, it's very likely that at the next job, you'd see the same trend again, and again, and again, until you finally find a job with a company that isn't trying to cut costs to maximize profit, or that they are smart/capable enough to find a cheaper solution while still maintaining the same quality. That is what everyone is trying to do on this planet--to cut cost but maintain quality. But in reality, very often there is no solution to keep cost low and quality high--at least not until the next technological breakthrough making that solution available.

So ultimately, the factories in China do what they are told by the contracting companies. The fault lies in the companies who are doing the contracting. If they asked for higher quality and are willing to swallow the extra costs, they'd get the quality they demand. So the problem isn't that products are made in China, but that the western companies are being cheap and asking for lower quality to keep the cost down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez