Verizon Note 3 Problems, not entirely pleased

mynewride

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
I recieved my new note 3 on thursday, release day. First I would like to say that I love the phone; however, it has some problems. First and foremost the camera is the worst I have ever worked with. I came from a galaxy nexus and the camera worked very fast and took great images. This phone takes forever to focus and then when it finally decides that it is going to take an image, it is totally blurry. I could honestly do better blindfolded with my dslr. This is the worst cell camera I have had in 6 years. I will say that outdoors it seems to do better. In my home it is worthless. I will try to post up some images taken with it later.

Next issue is that I keep getting a force close on the "watch on" whatever that is. a few other samsung apps keep giving me the same errors. How do I just take a quick screenshot without having to goto screen white? It takes way to long to bring up the air menu.

The note 3 feels laggy at times. I am used to my rooted nexus and it just flowed.

How do i access my open programs? I miss the key to bring up open apps to be able to switch between them and close them quickly.

I know there is a learning curve with the new device, but I am just not entirely sold yet. I Love the display! Cant say enough about the battery life. I am getting 2 days on a single charge. So this device has great potential

I will post other issues as i find them over the next few days. I have not had alot of time to spend learning the ins and outs of the device, just so you know.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I do admit I have an AT&T version but I didn't think there'd be that much difference. However, you're not the first person to note such issues with the Verizon Note 3. The AT&T version is sliquidy liquid fast and the camera is at least as good as the S4's if not better. What is Verizon doing to their handsets? They also felt the need to molest the G2. Why?

delkhouri

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I am also on Verizon and coming from galaxy nexus. I cannot say enough about how Happy I am with this new phone. The screen is beautiful, the battery life is amazing ( I also make it almost two days where on my Galaxy nexus it would be almost dead from just sitting in my pocket while I was at work) The camera, imo, i far supperior to the Galaxy Nexus. the speed of taking pictures is about the same but the quality is so much better.

My only issues is that for some reason I keep shutting it off in my pocket and that every once in a while the screen doesn't respond to my touch.

mynewride

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
after playing with the camera a little bit, i will agree that this thing "CAN" take great images for a phone; however, the thing seems to have a very difficult time focusing. it will focus all the way out then in before it comes back into focus. then when it takes the shot it is out of focus 7 out of 10 times. This is for indoor photos only. The flash seems to help the focus issue. I dont like flash unless I have to use it. My nexus could snap photos as fast as i could tap the screen and it never slowed down. Aside from the camera, I agree with the above post that maybe my phone is just not recognizing my touch on the screen.

Again I think that the air command is way too slow to come up.

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I had a hilarious conversation at the Verizon store when I was getting my phone wherein I mentioned AT&T had the phone for about a week and a half before us and the rep was trying to tell another customer that it's because Verizon takes time to make the phones work right while AT&T just puts them out as fast as possible.

Don't get me wrong, I've had great experiences with Big Red but it amuses me that after that the Verizon units would be the ones having issues.

Some of your issues I haven't had but that was because I was going from a 2-year old midrange phone to a top of the line phone so the Note 3 obviously performs significantly better for me. I have had issues with some of the factory apps though. VZ Navigator force closes on me for instance. I don't use it so it is a nonissue but lol @ not making sure all their crap works out of the box.

For screenshots press the power and home button at the same time and it'll take it.

mynewride

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
I had a hilarious conversation at the Verizon store when I was getting my phone wherein I mentioned AT&T had the phone for about a week and a half before us and the rep was trying to tell another customer that it's because Verizon takes time to make the phones work right while AT&T just puts them out as fast as possible.

Don't get me wrong, I've had great experiences with Big Red but it amuses me that after that the Verizon units would be the ones having issues.

Some of your issues I haven't had but that was because I was going from a 2-year old midrange phone to a top of the line phone so the Note 3 obviously performs significantly better for me. I have had issues with some of the factory apps though. VZ Navigator force closes on me for instance. I don't use it so it is a nonissue but lol @ not making sure all their crap works out of the box.

For screenshots press the power and home button at the same time and it'll take it.

Thank you for the screenshot tip.

mynewride

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
one other thing that is really minor is the keyboard app. when i type something, it wants to correct my spelling which is fine. Sometimes It changes things i dont want changed and im used to being able to hit the backspace key to undo the change with the galaxy nexus. Now I have to reach up high and hit a silly arrow button that didnt make any sense at first.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
one other thing that is really minor is the keyboard app. when i type something, it wants to correct my spelling which is fine. Sometimes It changes things i dont want changed and im used to being able to hit the backspace key to undo the change with the galaxy nexus. Now I have to reach up high and hit a silly arrow button that didnt make any sense at first.

just turn off auto correct in the settings....

streetslide

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Screen shot - you can also pull the S pen, hit the button and tap/hold on the screen.

Open programs - long press home button, then you can clear all or slide each app closed as you wish and also get to app manager & google.

Watch On - will stop giving you errors once you configure it or of course disable. Mine is configured with Samsung TV and Direct TV, really like having access to the remote so I freak wife out without having a remote in my hand. I had to get real close to DTV receiver when configuring but after that it works fine, lasts a long time.

Just keep poking around and go watch you tube tips on note 3, you will learn a lot....and of course here!

dayers

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm betting the camera improves (speed, 'clunky-ness') with each patch. I also came from a GNex but not able to root due to work restrictions on email. You might try a different camera app in the meantime. But vs. Stock the quality is much better and I like the various filter options available. I do see some of the focus and speed issues but the workaround I have for now is to take multiple shots and usually it gets there.

I had the Watch On issue as well. Another guy mentioned configuring it and I'll give that a shot tonight. I really haven't had the force close / errors since the first day though.

Lagginess will also probably be improved with patches. I really haeven't noticed though... again coming from stock GNex this thing is flying! lol

I recieved my new note 3 on thursday, release day. First I would like to say that I love the phone; however, it has some problems. First and foremost the camera is the worst I have ever worked with. I came from a galaxy nexus and the camera worked very fast and took great images. This phone takes forever to focus and then when it finally decides that it is going to take an image, it is totally blurry. I could honestly do better blindfolded with my dslr. This is the worst cell camera I have had in 6 years. I will say that outdoors it seems to do better. In my home it is worthless. I will try to post up some images taken with it later.

Next issue is that I keep getting a force close on the "watch on" whatever that is. a few other samsung apps keep giving me the same errors. How do I just take a quick screenshot without having to goto screen white? It takes way to long to bring up the air menu.

The note 3 feels laggy at times. I am used to my rooted nexus and it just flowed.

How do i access my open programs? I miss the key to bring up open apps to be able to switch between them and close them quickly.

mynewride

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
normal hands, but it is annoying. just me resisting a change i suppose.

also is there a way to stop the phone from zoooming in so much in my text window? It always wants to just display like 2 responses with huge text. I would rather see a history of say 8 or so responses. make good use of the screen size. I know i can pinch to zoom it out, but i hate to do that evertime i enter the app.

Joker8891

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed transition lags and locking the screen fade lags too on my VZ Note 3. Hopefully patches can fix this-- the hardware in this beast should make 4.3 run like liquid.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed transition lags and locking the screen fade lags too on my VZ Note 3. Hopefully patches can fix this-- the hardware in this beast should make 4.3 run like liquid.

Just out of curiosity, are you using the stock launcher or have you upgraded?

from my '14 Note 10.1

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site

try Kii keyboard, I found that to work better then stock for auto correct and user dictionary, you can also add the number key at the top

mynewride

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
action memo problem solved. I was pressing the button before i approached the screen. This took a while for the device to figure out what i wanted. If you just hover and press the key it will pop right up like its supposed to. My bad. again, I know i have a lot to learn with this device. I like it more and more as i use it. If i get a few more things figured out, I will be completely happy.

How do i get the handwriting to text to work? It pops up the box as it should; however, it will do nothing with the text i write. The action memo thing works great for me so i dont think it is a handwriting problem.

IHeartGroceries

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
For those who came from the GN, which is the device I am migrating from, I agree with nearly every comment here, save for the OPs.
The camera on the N3 is superior to the garbage camera on the GN. In excellent lighting, the GN performed decently. The N3's low light performance isn't great, but it is certainly better. There may be a few UI annoyances with the camera on the N3, but the photo quality is certainly there.

Coming from a GN, I'm not sure how the N3 doesn't absolutely exceed expectations in nearly every regard.

iPhone 5_to_GS4

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I was on the border the first day also but as I use it more the more I like it.

Still iPhone 5 had better touch feel.

And I am still looking for a good scanner free app.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app