"Firmware Upgrade Encountered an issue" Did I just brick my phone?

TobinShields

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Hey all,

I am new to Android Central, and can normally just figure out most of my tech-related issues by lurking around forums on watching YouTube tutorials. This time, I seem a little too stuck. This morning, I was interested in rooting my Note 3 for the first time in order to remove a lot of the bloatware. I booted in the device into download mode (I think that's the name) where you press and hold the DOWN VOLUME key, the POWER KEY, and the HOME BUTTON. I then plugged my phone into the computer.

I also downloaded Kies, and Odin. But before I even did anything with the other software, my phone said that I was downloading some new firmware (with the standard "do not remove until done" warning). After an hour or so, the download bar hadn't moved so I removed the device from the computer and had to go to work. When I went to go turn it on, I am now getting an error message that says "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please use Software Repair Assistant & try again." The phone will no longer actually turn on, and is just stuck in this screen. AH!

Here is what I have tried since I got home:

IN KIES 3 and KIES 2.6:
So, according to a lot of sources if I go into Kies and then plug my phone in, I should be able to perform an "Emergency Firmware Recovery" and save my device. However, whenever I plug my phone into my computer, Kies says that my phone is not supported. I have tried this in both versions of Kies (3 and 2.6) they both give me the same error message. When I try to start the recovery process, the phone doesn't even pop up as an option. I read that it can take up to 5-10 for it to recognize, but after 15 nothing popped up.

Another suggestion I have seen is to try using the "Firmware Upgrade and Initialization" tool, where I can enter in both my model and IMEI number to perform an update to my firmware. The issue I am facing here is that every time I go to enter in the IMEI number, it says that I need to "Please Check the model name and S/N, and enter them again. I have a SM-N900V Note 3, but it keeps giving me this issue no matter what. It's funny, because if I enter in random number is says that was an "incorrect" IMEI number, but when I enter in the one listed on my device, I get a different error.

I have also re installed all of the USB drives through the toolbar, but that didn't seem to change anything. I have also rebooted both my computer and the device.

FLASHING BACK TO STOCK IN ODIN:
So I thought, "great, now I need to totally wipe my phone and re install everything." Thankfully most of my content is on my Drive account, but I am still going to loose some photos. So, with basically no understanding of how to flash an Android device, here is what I have tried:

Firstly, I opened up Odin, and found what seemed to be a legit copy of the Stock Note 3 OS. It was a tar.md5 file. I ran Odin 3.09 as an administrator, clicked AP and browsed for my tar.md5 file. I had Auto Reboot and F. Rest Time selected, and then hit start. Within a matter of moments, the check failed and a small notification on my phone come up that said "SW REV CHECK FAIL : [aboot]Fused . > Binary 1" which made me think that the phone knew I was trying to do something, but that it didn't work.

I then hunted around the internet for different "versions" of this stock OS, and tried them in Odin 3.09, 3.08, and I think even 3.06. Nothing seems to be working. Although, I am sure that I am doing something totally wrong.

Anyway, so now I am here, DESPERATELY asking for your help. All I want is to go back to what I had. I don't even care if it is rooted at this point. Is there any ways to go back to stock Note 3 firmware? If not, at least SOME version of Android? I can't imagine that I did something totally irreversible by just simply prematurely disconnecting the cord during an update.

Also, if this is not the right place for asking this kind of issues, is there any way that you could point me in the right direction? Thank you guys, I really hope that I can get answer to this.

-Tobin

Chief Yolo

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
Hey all,

I am new to Android Central, and can normally just figure out most of my tech-related issues by lurking around forums on watching YouTube tutorials. This time, I seem a little too stuck. This morning, I was interested in rooting my Note 3 for the first time in order to remove a lot of the bloatware. I booted in the device into download mode (I think that's the name) where you press and hold the DOWN VOLUME key, the POWER KEY, and the HOME BUTTON. I then plugged my phone into the computer.

I also downloaded Kies, and Odin. But before I even did anything with the other software, my phone said that I was downloading some new firmware (with the standard "do not remove until done" warning). After an hour or so, the download bar hadn't moved so I removed the device from the computer and had to go to work. When I went to go turn it on, I am now getting an error message that says "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please use Software Repair Assistant & try again." The phone will no longer actually turn on, and is just stuck in this screen. AH!

Here is what I have tried since I got home:

IN KIES 3 and KIES 2.6:
So, according to a lot of sources if I go into Kies and then plug my phone in, I should be able to perform an "Emergency Firmware Recovery" and save my device. However, whenever I plug my phone into my computer, Kies says that my phone is not supported. I have tried this in both versions of Kies (3 and 2.6) they both give me the same error message. When I try to start the recovery process, the phone doesn't even pop up as an option. I read that it can take up to 5-10 for it to recognize, but after 15 nothing popped up.

Another suggestion I have seen is to try using the "Firmware Upgrade and Initialization" tool, where I can enter in both my model and IMEI number to perform an update to my firmware. The issue I am facing here is that every time I go to enter in the IMEI number, it says that I need to "Please Check the model name and S/N, and enter them again. I have a SM-N900V Note 3, but it keeps giving me this issue no matter what. It's funny, because if I enter in random number is says that was an "incorrect" IMEI number, but when I enter in the one listed on my device, I get a different error.

I have also re installed all of the USB drives through the toolbar, but that didn't seem to change anything. I have also rebooted both my computer and the device.

FLASHING BACK TO STOCK IN ODIN:
So I thought, "great, now I need to totally wipe my phone and re install everything." Thankfully most of my content is on my Drive account, but I am still going to loose some photos. So, with basically no understanding of how to flash an Android device, here is what I have tried:

Firstly, I opened up Odin, and found what seemed to be a legit copy of the Stock Note 3 OS. It was a tar.md5 file. I ran Odin 3.09 as an administrator, clicked AP and browsed for my tar.md5 file. I had Auto Reboot and F. Rest Time selected, and then hit start. Within a matter of moments, the check failed and a small notification on my phone come up that said "SW REV CHECK FAIL : [aboot]Fused . > Binary 1" which made me think that the phone knew I was trying to do something, but that it didn't work.

I then hunted around the internet for different "versions" of this stock OS, and tried them in Odin 3.09, 3.08, and I think even 3.06. Nothing seems to be working. Although, I am sure that I am doing something totally wrong.

Anyway, so now I am here, DESPERATELY asking for your help. All I want is to go back to what I had. I don't even care if it is rooted at this point. Is there any ways to go back to stock Note 3 firmware? If not, at least SOME version of Android? I can't imagine that I did something totally irreversible by just simply prematurely disconnecting the cord during an update.

Also, if this is not the right place for asking this kind of issues, is there any way that you could point me in the right direction? Thank you guys, I really hope that I can get answer to this.

-Tobin

Tobin,same thing happen to me