Keyboard Problem - Typing/Autocorrect Problem

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I have a problem which has started only since I've updated to lolipop. When I type - if I start writing a word and realize I've messed up the spelling (for example if I write cloud instead of could) if I go back deleting every letter besides the c and begin to spell the word correctly my phone wants to autocorrect/correct the spelling of the word but ONLY the part written after the c - even though there isn't a space between the c and the other letters. So, it tries to correct (guess) what I meant to type with "ould" instead of recognizing the word written as could. This is a new problem which I did not have on JB or KK - they would see the word "could" not just the "ould" part.

This problem is becoming really frustrating as I have fat fingers and I mistype words very often. It will also from time to time guess that I'm trying to write could (still using could as my example) and so it will write could, but, the other c will still be there and so it will say ccould.

I've tried clearing cache in recovery, clearing app data in keyboard app, dictionary, swype keyboard. I've even deleted all my learned words/data from email/contacts/msgs etc. I also tried using a different keyboard (swype) vs the Samsung stock keyboard I've used for over 1.5 yrs.

Does anyone know of a solution to this problem or other possible things I can try? I should also mention that after installing lolipop I wiped my phone and started fresh.

This is not just a problem I have in my message app, this happens where ever I type (email, text, Web searches, android central etc).

Any/all help would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

Sarks.

Posted via Android Central App

dmd327

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I am in the same boat, plus I feel my auto correct/predict has gotten horribly inaccurate. Someone please tell us how to work around this "upgrade" of lollipop. I'm trying my third keyboard and am not fond of it either. Help us get back to the keyboard that wasn't broken and shouldn't have been "fixed".

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Can you remove ccould from learned words by long pressing in the suggestions box, I don't know. Try long pressing could to save as a new word, strange I know.

The Samsung keyboard doesn't seem to sync to the Samsung account or a cloud so the memory must have been wiped.
I don't use the Samsung keyboard, too difficult for me.

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Can you remove ccould from learned words by long pressing in the suggestions box, I don't know. Try long pressing could to save as a new word, strange I know.

The Samsung keyboard doesn't seem to sync to the Samsung account or a cloud so the memory must have been wiped.
I don't use the Samsung keyboard, too difficult for me.

It's not really a "learned" word though, Madd. The best way I can describe it is like the keyboard (no matter if swype or Samsung or another 3rd party keyboard) ignores that first "c" and thinks it is just spelling a word AFTER the c. Does that make sense?

Normally it would see the "c" and the letters I type afterwards and works out I'm spelling could.

But, now it ignores the "c" and starts trying to figure out what I'm writing and even if it works out I'm spelling "could" it doesn't use the c that's there - it adds another.

Like I said if it were just the odd word here n there it wouldn't bother me. But, as I've said I have fat fingers and mispell words often so I go back/delete letters all the time and now I'm having to remind myself to just delete the whole word otherwise I end up with duplicate letters at the beginning of words.

I hope that clarifies a bit more. Hopefully someone will have a resolve, otherwise I guess I'll wait and hope an update fixes it at some point.

Thanks for trying to help, Madd :)

Sarks.

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
It's not really a "learned" word though, Madd. The best way I can describe it is like the keyboard (no matter if swype or Samsung or another 3rd party keyboard) ignores that first "c" and thinks it is just spelling a word AFTER the c. Does that make sense?

Normally it would see the "c" and the letters I type afterwards and works out I'm spelling could.

But, now it ignores the "c" and starts trying to figure out what I'm writing and even if it works out I'm spelling "could" it doesn't use the c that's there - it adds another.

Like I said if it were just the odd word here n there it wouldn't bother me. But, as I've said I have fat fingers and mispell words often so I go back/delete letters all the time and now I'm having to remind myself to just delete the whole word otherwise I end up with duplicate letters at the beginning of words.

I hope that clarifies a bit more. Hopefully someone will have a resolve, otherwise I guess I'll wait and hope an update fixes it at some point.

Thanks for trying to help, Madd :)

Sarks.

Same problem here! I HATE Lollipop 5.0 !

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 "Size Does Matter!"

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
So that's three people who have the identical problem? and it does sound like a software error now I read sarks again.

I tend to just back up one or two letters until SwiftKey gives the right suggestion box and let that fill it in, and I can't replicate this anyway with my Kitkat version. I am writing this with the Samsung keyboard, and it's suggesting fine though I haven't taught it much.
(I do like the bigger keys on the Samsung kb - I make less mistakes)

There must be other threads naming this problem then. Hopefully Samsung/Google will get around to a fix.

(I suppose you long pressed Predictive Text. I accidentally tapped Clear Remote Data there with my thumb 3 days ago off this thread, but I don't know what that means exactly)

You may have to wait until @jpr comes out of his bat cave.

TxDaydreamer1

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I've had this problem for a long while on one particular forum and it started when I had my Blackberry 6 years ago. I have never found a way around it.

Sent from my Holy crap this is awesome S5 :-D