Note 4 Is a 2 year old phone realistic now?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is a 2 year old phone realistic now?

Do you genuinely believe this?

Posted via Android Central App

I believe there are people who will do this, if it's a hobby. I have worked for many extremely wealthy people, and phones are chicken feed. Though conversely they tend to hold on to cars and other purchases a lot longer.
Changing phones would be very time consuming.
I don't know the *poster. I prefer to be polite and consider they are telling the truth. It's only a $500 phone. Yes I know what goes on in some forums. This is a good community. If some posters wants to tell a fib it's their loss ultimately.
I wasn't born yesterday. I was born Thursday. Do you believe that? :D

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

I have used my phone pretty heavily. As you know, I have used 5 terabytes of data before... My phone has run at high load for hours on end, and it is still fine. I don't see why it wouldn't last another year. Even with multiple drops and being thrown many times. I obviously wouldn't recommend it, but my note 3 has endured.

Two years ago, the note 2 was released. Since then, I would consider the note 3 and Note 4 to be incremental increases. The Note II still runs fine today. Sure,it might not be as fast and it doesn't have some features that newer devices have, but there is nothing wrong with it.

Also, I don't know what services your carrier provides, but Verizon offers extended warranty, which will replace the device for any warranty issues indefinitely, so long as you are on the program.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
$3 is really good, and would be dumb to pass on, I agree. Most insurance cover pushed here could be half the montly in the past, with hefty commissions etc. Probably was similar in the US. There was a reports and investigations and I don't know what cover costs now, but is normally provided by a 3rd party insurer. I would do $3 if it means missing a cappuccino. :)

Paul Ellis1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site

I believe there are people who will do this, if it's a hobby. I have worked for many extremely wealthy people, and phones are chicken feed. Though conversely they tend to hold on to cars and other purchases a lot longer.
Changing phones would be very time consuming.
I don't know the *poster. I prefer to be polite and consider they are telling the truth. It's only a $500 phone. Yes I know what goes on in some forums. This is a good community. If some posters wants to tell a fib it's their loss ultimately.
I wasn't born yesterday. I was born Thursday. Do you believe that? :D

Sorry, thought I was replying to a different comment. Dunno how that happened

Sent from my iPhone 5c

MRS DIVA

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site

Yes, I've got the GS2, Note 1 and Note 2 and they are all used daily. The Note 1 is laggy, however that only happened when I upgraded to Jellybean (big mistake) .I Intend to get the Note 4 sometime in November - Thats if T-Mobile/EE UK have it by then.

lazerproof

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site

I wasn't worrying if a new purchase will last me two years, more wondering if many will keep theirs that long anymore.

Yes, I think people will keep their phones over two years now since upgrades on new models are starting to be very incremental. As for me, I am still using purchased 2 year old GS3. I installed a custom ROM, CM 11 based on Kit Kat 4.4.4, so old phones can be modernized on the software end. As far as durability is concerned, The phone has been a tank really. regrettably I have never used a case. Screen is cracked, however, all hardware including sensors work well.

Omer San Gabriel

May 10, 2013
Visit site

Who has had a recent generation smartphone (2010/2011+) in heavy use for 2 years without hardware issues?

Will anyone buying before this Christmas NOT change again before Christmas 2015?

I imagine very few. Current format touch screen devices *must be* limited in lifespan, and new design philosophies will change our wants long term anyway.

Ergonomics and modular phones will make inroads.

The days of 4+ year old phones are long gone.

So 2 questions really:

Does current hardware, specifically digitizers and screens, last?

Have current smartphones reached a peak, and we will all want something different in the very near future?

**edited.
Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

I don't think it's the hardware. Phones line S2, S3, Note 2 are still very good if we take care of it properly. People tend to change phone annually because manufacturers make them annually. Some people thinks that "*current using s2* ow i need to change my phone because the s3 has been released so i can brag about it even though my s2 is not broken".

For me i'm currently using Samsung Galaxy S4 bought it from the day it was released. No issues what so ever.

banesfist

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Just upgraded from an S3. The hardware was like new. The software is another story. I figure My Z Ultra GPE won't have the software problems my S3 was having at the end.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site

It destroys the nexus 4 in specs and benchmarks and its LG Nexus 4 Not galaxy nexus 4.

I don't use my N4 for benchmarking, I use it in the real world. With a quad core cpu and 2gb ram, it's still very quick and does everything well. You can take your iphone 6 and toss it in the garbage.

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site

I don't use my N4 for benchmarking, I use it in the real world. With a quad core cpu and 2gb ram, it's still very quick and does everything well. You can take your iphone 6 and toss it in the garbage.
Its still better the ip6 :)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

I'm using an almost 2 year old Galaxy S3. It works fine. The only real change from new, other than firmware upgrades, is that the battery no longer has as much capacity as it did when new. That's normal for any battery-they all lose something over time. But I have no problems with the screen or digitizer at all. That said, I've been comparing to newer phones, and the performance difference is quite noticeable. The S5 is smoother, apps load quicker, transitions are faster, etc. Even web pages seem to load a little faster. And the S5 screen is much brighter, has more accurate color, and is bigger and sharper than the one on my S3. Not because the S3's screen has deteriorated, but because technology has gotten better.

On the second question, it will depend on who you ask. I don't think we'll see any dramatic changes in technology in the next couple of years. Screens will get sharper and higher res, but it's questionable whether you can see the improvement in all but a few special cases. Processors will get faster, but not twice or three times as fast, and more efficient, but not 2 or 3 times more efficient. I don't see any dramatic changes in battery capacity any time soon.

The one imminent change is to 64 bit processors and OS's. But double the bits doesn't mean double the performance. I think it will be a number of years before we see apps that really take advantage of 64 bit systems to do things significantly better than we can do know.

I generally keep my phones for a couple of generations. The improvements from one generation to the next (e.g., S3 to S4, or One M7 to M8) aren't generally significant enough to justify the price. But the improvements over two generations (S3 to S5) tend to be fairly significant. OTOH, the technology is pretty mature. I don't expect there to be as big a gap between the S5 and S7 as between the S3 and S5. There's only so much resolution you can use, so much memory you need, so much speed you need (can you tell the difference between a 0.08 screen redraw and a 0.06 redraw?). And there are only so many new gadgets and features (or gimmicks) you can use on a phone. Most people don't use all the features their current phones have.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

That Verizon have good no quibble support demonstrates more that they are not expecting phones to last.

We can all read so many posts where phones have failed within 12 - 16 months or less.

No, it means just the opposite. If they expected to have a lot of failures they wouldn't offer that plan, as it would get very expensive. Their extended warranty program is a money maker, because most people pay into it for 2 years and never need to use it.

And what you don't see is all the posts from people who's phones haven't broken. People post when they have problems. No one posts to say "Hey, my phone just passed 18 months and is still working perfectly!"

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

A year ago, I gave my wife my one year old iPhone 5. Although functional even without a power button, that device is EOL even though it has the current OS. The point is wear and tear associated with daily use will drive you to a new phone before the OS is outdated. Two years is too long. You may be using duct tape to hold the thing together.

The iPhone build quality is either crap, or you guys are really hard on your phones. My HTC Evo lasted 2 1/2 years with no hardware issues at all. I only upgraded it to get a larger screen and better performance. My S3 is nearly two years old, as it my sons's, and neither have any hardware issues at all. All the buttons work, nothing is cracked or broken. If your phone is falling apart in two years you need to look at how you treat your possessions.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site

That said, I've been comparing to newer phones, and the performance difference is quite noticeable.
Wait for the Nexus 6 or whatever it's gonna be called. If you ask me, developer's reference devices are the way to go if you want quick upgrades, complete customization, the BEST rom support and sweet hacks. I'll never go back to using a skinned version of android such as TW or Sense. I just like a stock look but with tons of added tweaks and functionality under the hood. I can't wait for the nexus 6. :)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

$3 is really good, and would be dumb to pass on, I agree. Most insurance cover pushed here could be half the montly in the past, with hefty commissions etc. Probably was similar in the US. There was a reports and investigations and I don't know what cover costs now, but is normally provided by a 3rd party insurer. I would do $3 if it means missing a cappuccino. :)

Just to be clear, the $3 is for extended warranty only and covers manufacturers defects only,no deductible,no claim limits. Verizon does offer accidental damage handling (cracked screen) and loss and theft for $5.18, deductible varies but for the note 3, it is $100, and 2 claim limit per year. you can have both for $8.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

No, it means just the opposite. If they expected to have a lot of failures they wouldn't offer that plan, as it would get very expensive. Their extended warranty program is a money maker, because most people pay into it for 2 years and never need to use it.

And what you don't see is all the posts from people who's phones haven't broken. People post when they have problems. No one posts to say "Hey, my phone just passed 18 months and is still working perfectly!"

As with any private insurance /warranty program, the goal of the company is profit, whether it be phone insurance /warranty, car, house, etc. Each person must determine if they need insurance. There are legal ways to avoid having insurance, even on home or car. But most people choose to have insurance, rather than use the other options. Now on phone, the cost is much smaller, and many opt for no insurance. Which is fine, as said before, if you opt for that route, be sure that you can afford it if the device fails and isn't covered under warranty.

I have had smartphones since 2011 and have used extended warranty a few times. Verizon covers the active device on the line, so on occasion, I have switched to an older phone then found a defect, and had Verizon replace it under extended warranty.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

My Note 2 is still cranking. I'm hoping to get the Note 4 or the Note Edge and give my Note 3 to my husband. I get too damn attached to my devices. 📲

I keep them all.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

My Note 2 is still cranking. I'm hoping to get the Note 4 or the Note Edge and give my Note 3 to my husband. I get too damn attached to my devices. 📲

I keep them all.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I personally don't refer to my spouse as a device, but I know what you mean.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro