07-22-2015 02:50 AM
62 123
tools
    Textra hands down! To me it's visually the nicest sms app out there and it is buttery smooth .... also love that it has a dark mode and other color customizations as well

Posted via the Android Central App
    Chomp gives you much more options than Textra honestly!
    04-19-2015 05:23 PM
    I've been using the Hangouts for a couple of weeks now and it's working fine for my uses. One question that I have is while there's a sound notification of an incoming message, the screen doesn't display it. Is that/this "normal"? Sometimes I'd just like a quick glance that's all. Though I've managed to customize SMS/MMS sound notifications for specific contacts to alert me as to who/where it's from.
    Yeah tht's normal...I guess it's an android thing...like with Gmail app your screen doesn't light up on incoming emails.
    I use Hangouts for my google voice messaging and the screen doesn't light up when i have an incoming message!

Question for peeps....Is there an app tht will make your screen light up when you have incoming messages on hangouts or emails thru Gmail app ??
    Neo_ii_Droid likes this.
    04-19-2015 05:25 PM
    I have nova running now, I'll check those settings out....thanks

With Nova u have to install a 3rd party app for it called "Tesla unread plugin"...something along those lines..it's free on play store!
    04-19-2015 05:26 PM
    I am using hangouts for now because of its compatibility with my moto 360.

Stock messenger works with my Moto 360, and I can attach more than one attachment. If Google changes that, I may go back to Hangouts.

04-19-2015 09:38 PM
    I switched to Google Keyboard instead of the options Samsung provided and that helps a lot. But the hangouts features mixed with the fact I'm also using Google Voice is really slowing the process of making a call or handling messages.
    07-09-2015 11:31 AM
    Is GIF's to iOS not possible? My buddy can send them to me but he says mine don't animate. Tried Messages and Hangouts. Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong. I sent the file from my photo albums, where it animated still if I open it. It does appear to animate using Hangouts (non SMS), but that doesn't help with cross platform.

07-09-2015 11:43 AM
    May I ask a question not to thread jack but on using textra, is there a way to get a badge icon notification as well? If I miss a text I'd like there to be a one or however many number of texts displayed over the app

Yes. Textra works better than the Samsung Messages app in my opinion and it notifies you, allows you to customize notification as well.
    07-09-2015 04:25 PM
    Tried a few others and always back to stock app for me.

Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4!!
    07-09-2015 04:48 PM
    Is GIF's to iOS not possible? My buddy can send them to me but he says mine don't animate. Tried Messages and Hangouts. Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong. I sent the file from my photo albums, where it animated still if I open it. It does appear to animate using Hangouts (non SMS), but that doesn't help with cross platform.

Seems to work with Google Messenger.

07-10-2015 07:38 AM
    Yes I have the same problem. Hangouts always shuts down. Google isn't going to do anything to repair this for obvious reasons. Might want to think about getting rid of hangouts and using something else.
    07-15-2015 04:34 PM
    Textra (?) is my choice. I have personal reasons for not using Hangouts. But the stock messenger app has 1 really annoying feature that I just can't get past. When you set notifications to repeat every 2 minutes, you must actually exit what you are doing and go into the app and read the message. You can swipe it away from the notification drop down, but it will continue to beep every 2 minutes.

At least with textra when you click on the notification you get a pop up with an option to reply, while you remain in your app that you are using. If you swipe away from the notification, it will stop reminding you that you got a new message. Seems simple, but on this Multi-tasking power house, the need to exit an app and load messenger, then exit messenger and re-load your app is just too much... especially if the app you are exiting isn't multi window compatible.
    This is true. But you are able to enable a pop up window in the default messenger app on the note 4. Only thing is the pop up doesn't work in the local screen so you have to manually open the phone to see the pop up and then decide to review it, respond to it or call the person. Also enable multi window so you never have to leave an app. Default messenger app works flawlessly in multi window.
    07-22-2015 02:49 AM
    Textra (?) is my choice. I have personal reasons for not using Hangouts. But the stock messenger app has 1 really annoying feature that I just can't get past. When you set notifications to repeat every 2 minutes, you must actually exit what you are doing and go into the app and read the message. You can swipe it away from the notification drop down, but it will continue to beep every 2 minutes.

At least with textra when you click on the notification you get a pop up with an option to reply, while you remain in your app that you are using. If you swipe away from the notification, it will stop reminding you that you got a new message. Seems simple, but on this Multi-tasking power house, the need to exit an app and load messenger, then exit messenger and re-load your app is just too much... especially if the app you are exiting isn't multi window compatible.
    This is true. But you are able to enable a pop up window in the default messenger app on the note 4. Only thing is the pop up doesn't work in the lock screen so you have to manually open the phone to see the pop up and then decide to review it, respond to it or call the person. Also enable multi window so you never have to leave an app. Default messenger app works flawlessly in multi window.
    07-22-2015 02:50 AM
62 123