Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - What are the best practices on how to migrate data/apps to a new phone?

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm hopefully getting my Verizon Note 4 this week and will be migrating from my Note 3. I currently use G Cloud for backup, but it only backs up data - not apps. I also have a complex Nova launcher setup (I have backed Nova up).

I haven't seen any posts on migrating to a new phone here. Are there any "best practices" that seem to work well? Any "gotchas" to avoid??

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

SBarksKY

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Best practices on how to migrate data/apps to a new phone

I've been wondering about this as well. I'm going from iOS to Android, and I am scared $hitless that I'm going to lose everything...

sbhatia1981

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site

I've been wondering about this as well. I'm going from iOS to Android, and I am scared $hitless that I'm going to lose everything...

Smart switch will basically transfer everything from ios to Android, i have done it recently, just a tip make sure you have memory card inserted before else it is pain to move all pics from phone memory to card.

Otherwise it is painless transfer.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

I just used Kies for contacts, alarms, etc., and then went to the Play Store with screenshots of my old app drawer pages. There may be a better way with the apps, although the last time I did it with software, I spent fair amount of time backing up and then I when went to restore I was just dumped into the Play Store for each app.

canonBoy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Best practices on how to migrate data/apps to a new phone

If only we had root, titanium backup would save so much time... :(

SBarksKY

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Best practices on how to migrate data/apps to a new phone

What is rooting a phone? Is it something that could be done by a person who is not so tech-savvy?

canonBoy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

What is rooting a phone? Is it something that could be done by a person who is not so tech-savvy?

Rooting an android phone is similar to jailbreaking an iPhone. It's probably not for most average users. If you know what you're doing, or have the patience to learn from your mistakes, then rooting could allow you to explore different facets of your phone. Before making the leap, it's good to figure out reasons to root your phone rather than root just for the sake of rooting.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

Smart switch works great for pulling in information saved to icloud, it evens helps you download your apps and for things not available on android it will give recommendations for similar apps.

Posted via Android Central App

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

I just used Kies for contacts, alarms, etc., and then went to the Play Store with screenshots of my old app drawer pages. There may be a better way with the apps, although the last time I did it with software, I spent fair amount of time backing up and then I when went to restore I was just dumped into the Play Store for each app.

I have never been able to get Kies 3 to work with my phone. When it does SEE the phone (which is rarely), it won't back everything up. Sometimes it just dies in the middle; sometimes it just fails on multiple backup sections.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

I have never been able to get Kies 3 to work with my phone. When it does SEE the phone (which is rarely), it won't back everything up. Sometimes it just dies in the middle; sometimes it just fails on multiple backup sections.
It can be dodgy at times for me. I should mention that it wasn't able to restore messages, but I didn't particularly care about that, and it did restore everything else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

visegrip72

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site

Anyone try Helium? Not sure on rooting new phone and worrying about knox (at least for the first month or two), I'd rather something that does not require root. Did a quick search and saw a few threads mention it. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.koushikdutta.backup&token=razCg191
I just loaded on S3, but have not run it, as I'm waiting for my N4, so looking forward to it and switching carriers to one that works. Slow speed is one thing, stop is another.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

I tried Helium, but it wouldn't work for me, and their support was pretty useless.

I've been using G Cloud and it seems to be backing up everything, but apps. I have needed to restore individual files, and it has worked for me. I just haven't had a chance (yet) to restore the device to another phone - as I will get to do tomorrow.

visegrip72

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site

Quick follow up, Helium worked GREAT for my move from S3 to N4. It was able to back up and restore majority of my apps. Example - K9 mail, and all its settings. Done. I really didn't want to have to reconfigure all my email accounts! A bit tricky to set up if you're not that advanced. I had it running in no time. There are a few things it did not backup or restore properly, but for free it did a great job.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non