Samsung Galaxy Note 4 What is the correct charging cycle?

KingTongue

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
I keep hearing different things when it comes to charging a phone. I just want to make sure I don't wear it out too fast.

At what percent are you not suppose to let the charge drop below and such? Also is it true that one isn't suppose to keep phone plugged in at 100%? I always charge my phone when I'm sleep, but feel bad since I don't know if it's hurting the battery life.

Posted via My Note 4

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: What is the correct charging cycle?

Those are all myths of yore. Lithium Nickel-Cadmium batteries had the so called 'memory effect', where if you charged them before they hit 0%, they would 'remember' the state you started charging them in as the lower state. But new battery tech saves you the hassle. It doesn't matter if you charge it from 90% or 0% (it's not recommended to let it die out entirely too much, but it helps to do it once in a while to calibrate the reporting software in your device). Also, overload protection circuitry both in your phone and the battery itself, help prevent damaging effects of keeping your phone plugged in too long. After all, most of us plug our phones in at night, and most times, the phone charges fully before you wake up.

Last edited:

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

Those are all myths of yore. Lithium batteries had the so called 'memory effect', where if you charged them before they hit 0%, they would 'remember' the state you started charging them in as the lower state. But new battery tech saves you the hassle. It doesn't matter if you charge it from 90% or 0% (it's not recommended to let it die out entirely too much, but it helps to do it once in a while to calibrate the reporting software in your device). Also, overload protection circuitry both in your phone and the battery itself, help prevent damaging effects of keeping your phone plugged in too long. After all, most of us plug our phones in at night, and most times, the phone charges fully before you wake up.
With all due Respect and just for my own knowledge....wasn't it the Ni-Cad batteries that burned a memory? Lithium are the current battery type used now that does Not?

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

Indie Fun

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site

it's not recommended to let it die out entirely too much, but it helps to do it once in a while to calibrate the reporting software in your device.
I never let my phone die out entirely because you never know when you will need it in full charge hahaha... thanks for the info anyway, i will let it die to "calibrate" it :p

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

I never let my phone die out entirely because you never know when you will need it in full charge hahaha... thanks for the info anyway, i will let it die to "calibrate" it :p

Yeah, it's good to do that at least once, especially when you just get your phone or after a factory reset. That way the software really knows what's 100% and nearly 0% and it can adjust the battery meter display, even more if your phone has an estimated time left for battery life.

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site

Once a crush called me and wanted to have a long chat when my battery was at 10%. I learned my lesson that night.

clatus

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site

According to the battery experts, you will get the most out of your battery if you keep it above 50% as much as possible. Apparently full drains are bad for the battery because Li-ion's life span is measured in cycles and each complete charging cycle wears on the battery. Shallow charges prolong the lifespan.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
And with the purchase of the Note 4 comes a 50% discount coupon for all accessories under 50 bucks at the Samsung store. I just got an OTG cable, a spare battery with charger, a car mount, and a case for 70 bucks. Shweet! (And free shipping if your order is over 50 buckaroos, I think).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You can charge it whenever honestly .. I charge mine when it is convenient Also as Spook said I bought the spare battery / charger and now really don't have to worry :D.

fredwardnelson

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
This always confused me as well. There doesn't seem to be a clear straightforward answer on battery life. Even within this thread. So, I just charge it whenever I feel like it. I have a spare battery if something goes off but I don't worry about it anymore.