note 4 screen in sunlight

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Agreed Samsung should have a specific toggle for the extra brightness. The too be able to turn it off (for reasons listed above), but also to avoid if flickering on/off in border conditions. Walking noontime, the extra contrast/brightness mode keeps going on and off as the screen angle to the Sun changes ever so much.

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Note, that the extra Sun-fighting saturation/brightness is not quite the same as the purplish screen phenomenon several folks on this thread where describing (myself included). Though maybe it's a side effect of that feature?

Tinmania

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I rarely go out in daylight (I work nights), so I hadn't considered that. It's likely a combination of the Adaptive Display mode and the High Contrast/Brightness modes though, which would explain the shifts in color. It's easy enough for one of you daywalkers to test though, just switch to Basic Display mode, and go outside in sunlight and see how it looks.

Nothing to do with adaptive display mode whatsoever. I don't even use adaptive display mode and it kicks in as needed ... garish neon colors and all.

Mike

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I like it because it makes things easier to read but I can understand that some might not like it.

You can use Tasker to say maximum brightness when the light is above a certain level

93e03411be8e8badffc6080eea9b6300.jpg

2f5f7bfbf7523b12a8ab5e9c8a68861f.jpg

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I hate it.
I use my phone as a GPS attached to the handlebar on my motorcycle. When in direct sunlight, the map colors suddenly wash out, and I have an almost totally white screen. I can't see the different contrasts of the different roads and trails and my maps become useless. It is suddenly all nearly white. Horrible. The other drawback is that even when plugged into a charger, the display suddenly is pulling more power then my chargers can output. So my phone battery slowly dies, even on charge, when in bright sunlight.
The only way to disable this screen oddness is to turn off auto brightness. But I like auto brightness. I'm playing with a replacement screen brightener now. It needs a setting to disable that oddity.

Try the Mpow charger. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4004942
I have an app on my Note 2 that displays charging power and this charger is right up there at around 1000 mA. It's enough to keep my Note 2 charging with Google maps running with screen on constantly.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Try the Mpow charger. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4004970
I have an app on my Note 2 that displays charging power and this charger is right up there at around 1000 mA. It's enough to keep my Note 2 charging with Google maps running with screen on constantly.

I have a few waterproof 3 amp chargers on order that should take care of the charge problem. But the extra power, and white bright screen, also means that the phone will run even hotter. Especially if I have to put in in a sealed case on a rainy day.

It needs a setting to disable it. Period.
If I simply wanted to be able to view the phone dialer or read some text, in direct sunlight, it might be great.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I have a few waterproof 3 amp chargers on order that should take care of the charge problem. But the extra power, and white bright screen, also means that the phone will run even hotter. Especially if I have to put in in a sealed case on a rainy day.

If I simply wanted to be able to view the phone dialer or read some text, in direct sunlight, it might be great.

Yeah, Google Maps + screen on bright = very hot phone. What chargers did you order and how much? The Mpow are dirt cheap, but of course not water tight.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I like it! But it doesn't do it when you have your own brightness setting set so I don't really use it often as I always have my brightness all the way up.

beavo451

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

What, like a toggle? Just set your brightness setting to max and just toggle auto brightness on and off.

pgi cruiser

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
I have trouble seeing anything on my note4 screen in bright sunlight. The entire screen is terribly washed out. Is there any way, natively or through a 3rd party app, to set the maximum brightness beyond Samsung's settings? I use my phone outdoor a lot, but it's difficult using the camera or any boating navigation apps on this phone. That's one of the few thinges that I miss about my iPhone. The iPhone was much easier to use in bright sunight (meaning I actually could see the screen). Can anyone please help me?

ronb

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I have trouble seeing anything on my note4 screen in bright sunlight. The entire screen is terribly washed out. Is there any way, natively or through a 3rd party app, to set the maximum brightness beyond Samsung's settings? I use my phone outdoor a lot, but it's difficult using the camera or any boating navigation apps on this phone. That's one of the few thinges that I miss about my iPhone. The iPhone was much easier to use in bright sunight (meaning I actually could see the screen). Can anyone please help me?
I don't know of a way but check your setting under Display and Wallpaper and Screen Mode. Make sure it is set to Adaptive Display. That should go to a brighter setting under sunlight. There are no other controls that I am aware of.
Good Luck!
Ron

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I have adaptive display turned on and it does. Not as bright as the Note 3 with the same settings but only had it a week. I never find 'auto' use-full on Android devices.

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Me too on the Note 3 as on the 4 I use Adaptive brightness manually set but on the 4 I need to set brightness higher. So far I'm hunting for a better setting, I checked and Auto is too dim as with any Android I've had.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

Are you using AUTO on the brightness setting?
In direct sunlight it should get brighter to the point of being pretty good, then suddenly JUMP to an extra bright setting. Generally that extra bright setting is great for using the camera and such in sunlight. But I have an issue where it washes out the colors on my GPS software.