Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus Camera : Low light and motion shots

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Did you put the note 4 in sports mode?

Really what is probably happening here is that the note isn't setting the ISO high for a shutter speed to stop motion, if you put it in sports mode it is telling the phone that you want as high of a shutter speed as possible.

Other option is to use a different camera app that let's you take control of shutter, f-stop and ISO so you can control the outcome youself

I've tried the Sports mode and it made absolutely no difference whatsoever. I LOVE my Note 4 camera but i've yet to get an action shot that was without blur.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried burst mode?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

I haven't yet. I've been hesitant to do that because I assume it takes shots in rapid succession? I have a pet peeve with deleting duplicates of things from my phone, and I was afraid i'd end up with crap loads of similar shots. However, if it means getting a crisp shot with no blur, i'll be all over that.

DarkUncle

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I've tried the Sports mode and it made absolutely no difference whatsoever. I LOVE my Note 4 camera but i've yet to get an action shot that was without blur.

Sports mode seemed to work just fine for me. This was zoomed in all the way. Unfortunately I was in the upper deck.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 20141025_191832.jpg
    20141025_191832.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 102

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I haven't yet. I've been hesitant to do that because I assume it takes shots in rapid succession? I have a pet peeve with deleting duplicates of things from my phone, and I was afraid i'd end up with crap loads of similar shots. However, if it means getting a crisp shot with no blur, i'll be all over that.
Yes it takes lots of images in succession

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

linzgeneral

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone's camera has always been light years better than any camera Samsung has had on their phones so iI never expected that to change. Overall, I still wouldn't trade anything to go back to the boredom of an iPhone.

I totally disagree with this statement. This simply isn't true. I sold phones and have had my hands on every single Iphone except the 6 and I have never been impressed with the cameras. I always thought they were over-hyped and were just good like any top shelf phone camera should be. I had many instances of my Samsung phones taking better pics than Iphones in certain situations, much better detail. The one good camera I thought was actually underated on the iphone was the 1 megapixel front camera, which seem to take extraordinarily clear selfies for such a low resolution. I noticed this particularly on the Iphone 5 when it first came out. The OP's tests and results aren't scientific by any stretch so take them with a grain of salt...

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Sports mode seemed to work just fine for me. This was zoomed in all the way. Unfortunately I was in the upper deck.

That's awesome! I'll have to keep playing around with it. My little girl never sits still so her hand or feet are ALWAYS blurry even on sports shot. But hey, the phone is brand new and the camera always takes a little practice to get used to.

gizmo32

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
guys there is nothing wrong with the note 4 camera app! Its just Samsung uses a strange processing algorithm for low light shots. I have taken a few shots last night from my window and took shots early this morning outside; I use the google camera app for android its 100x better in low light than the stock camera app and way better than iphone! I had a iphone 5 before.... The grainy ones are stock Samsung app for note 4, the clear images is from the google camera app and the single dark image is from my iphone 5. THIS BEAST HAS A INSANE CAMERA ITS JUST SAMSUNGS PROCESSING NEEDS AN UPDATE! JUST USE THE GOOGLE CAMERA APP!!!! ITS WAY MORE SIMPLE TO USE AND BEST OF ALL ITS FREEEEEEEEEE!!!!

iphone 5 stock camera app.jpgnote 4 google camera app (2).jpgnote 4 google camera app (3).jpgnote 4 google camera app.jpgnote 4 stock camera app (2).jpgnote 4 stock camera app.jpgnote 4 stock samsung app.jpg

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
yes they do its just samsungs software processing needs work.

This wasn't really about low light and that's it.. It was about low light + movement. Or well I should say.. It under performs in movement. It's okay in still low light if you hold it steady.

gizmo32

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
This wasn't really about low light and that's it.. It was about low light + movement. Or well I should say.. It under performs in movement. It's okay in still low light if you hold it steady.

But what smartphone camera out there does movement in lowlight well? You would a mirrorless or dslr for that.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
But what smartphone camera out there does movement in lowlight well? You would a mirrorless or dslr for that.

No one is saying one does it best or anything.. He was simply saying the iPhone handled it better in his tests.. He didn't say it did it very well or anything :).

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I took some shots of the Note 4 and 6 Plus, in low light and motion. Top are 6 Plus, bottom are Note 4.

Some people are saying to try the Google camera instead of the stock Samsung because the google camera is closest to an IPhone camera. The people that are also recommending the Google camera are saying that under low light conditions, the camera actually excels the IPhone 6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress