Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Gps problem

Candidly Lizzy

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
SOLUTION: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Gps problem

I had this same issue (and I use Waze primarily) from the minute I got my new Galaxy Note 4 on Oct. 23rd!

1. I had switched from Sprint to Verizon - so I considered that was the problem.

2. My previous phone was a Galaxy Note 2 and I had a portfolio style cover for that. I didn't want another cover like that because it replace the back it came with and the cover flopped around when I was trying to take pictures with one hand (it got in the way).

3. I had to return my first Galaxy Note 4 because it shorted. The new replacement has been fine.

4. I had called Verizon and gone into a store and they couldn't figure why the "No GPS" message kept coming up.

Finally, I was driving somewhere important and NEEDED the GPS!!! So, I thought how my NEW cover (thick, plastic, purple that left the front uncovered and had a hole for the camera lens on the back) covers all the edges. I remembered how this had been a problem for one of the earlier iPhones ... and I took that cover off.

The GPS came on full strength!!! As long as I have kept the cover off I have not had a GPS problem. I put that cover back on and the GPS connection is lost again.

This is the case that causes the interference for me: OK ... since this is my first post they won't allow me to post a link. It is the $19.95 gloss silicon protective cover on Verizon's site under accessories ... in purple.

If I keep it off my phone and there is no problem.

I am satisfied that is/was the problem. :D

Major Pain1

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm been doing some research I came across this on youtube hope it helps out
Galaxy S3 Gps Fix (When Screw Tightening Doesn't work

Posted via the Android Central App

Dominick079

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
So from reading this thread it seems like the T-Mobile and AT&T Note 4's are having this issue. Im going to purchase the Note 4 in February and I hope this issue is fixed by then. For those that have a AT&T Note 4 go to my thread and report whether you are having issues or not.

Posted Via AT&T Note 3

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Re: SOLUTION: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Gps problem

I had this same issue (and I use Waze primarily) from the minute I got my new Galaxy Note 4 on Oct. 23rd!

1. I had switched from Sprint to Verizon - so I considered that was the problem.

2. My previous phone was a Galaxy Note 2 and I had a portfolio style cover for that. I didn't want another cover like that because it replace the back it came with and the cover flopped around when I was trying to take pictures with one hand (it got in the way).

3. I had to return my first Galaxy Note 4 because it shorted. The new replacement has been fine.

4. I had called Verizon and gone into a store and they couldn't figure why the "No GPS" message kept coming up.

Finally, I was driving somewhere important and NEEDED the GPS!!! So, I thought how my NEW cover (thick, plastic, purple that left the front uncovered and had a hole for the camera lens on the back) covers all the edges. I remembered how this had been a problem for one of the earlier iPhones ... and I took that cover off.

The GPS came on full strength!!! As long as I have kept the cover off I have not had a GPS problem. I put that cover back on and the GPS connection is lost again.

This is the case that causes the interference for me: OK ... since this is my first post they won't allow me to post a link. It is the $19.95 gloss silicon protective cover on Verizon's site under accessories ... in purple.

If I keep it off my phone and there is no problem.

I am satisfied that is/was the problem. :D

I've already tried using it naked and it still didn't work :(.

Jamielee0603

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I have a fix for this :)

First off, it worked for me but it's not proven so don't hate I'm no phone geek just a normal gal with a curious side....

1.On your phone keypad type *#9090# this will open secret menu
2. In the options menu (3 dots top right) select key input, type Q then select enter
3. go back to key input this time type 0000, select enter then wait... A new menu will open
4. Select UM setting and info
5. Select > setting
6. Select > system
7. Select > NV rebuild
8. Select > Protocol GPS , IMS NV
9. Reboot phone as instructed.

Your menu options may differ slightly to mine but you have to rebuild the GPS NV. I use EE in the UK and have the same issue. This has greatly improved mine I would continuously get GPS signal lost and direction wrong way on mine but it will now track perfect after gaining a lock.

Don't tamper in these hidden menus I will not be held responsible if u screw it up.

Hope this helps

Supacat

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Not trying to bust your bubble and if it works for you great but tried this a while ago as this was mentioned as a fix for the Note 3. It seemed to help first day but then slowly went back to the same performance:( I tried it numerous times.

jummybui

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I have a fix for this :)

First off, it worked for me but it's not proven so don't hate I'm no phone geek just a normal gal with a curious side....

1.On your phone keypad type *#9090# this will open secret menu
2. In the options menu (3 dots top right) select key input, type Q then select enter
3. go back to key input this time type 0000, select enter then wait... A new menu will open
4. Select UM setting and info
5. Select > setting
6. Select > system
7. Select > NV rebuild
8. Select > Protocol GPS , IMS NV
9. Reboot phone as instructed.

Your menu options may differ slightly to mine but you have to rebuild the GPS NV. I use EE in the UK and have the same issue. This has greatly improved mine I would continuously get GPS signal lost and direction wrong way on mine but it will now track perfect after gaining a lock.

Don't tamper in these hidden menus I will not be held responsible if u screw it up.

Hope this helps

Gonna give this a Shot. Thanks!

ZerC00L

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I can confirm 100% issues with GPS on my AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 4. I bought it Sunday (12/28/2014) and noticed instant GPS inaccuracies, teleporting, not updating correct route information, etc. I got home, OTA'd, tried again the next day, same issues. Took it into AT&T yesterday (12/30/2014), guy instantly swapped, I stood right there and showed him exactly what was happening on the brand new,fresh out the box phone. "Hmmm, I'd give it a couple of days to.....uhhh.....calibrate, then bring it back if it doesn't work." Screw that, wtf is going on? Why do a select few of us have the problem and why does it continue to happen to the same people?

In another forum, a guy took his back not 1, not 2 but 3 TIMES, same gps issues everytime......... Add me to the list of people who've had multiple phones and the same gps issues. SIM related????? Maybe? I can't have another phone, I absolutely love this thing.

**EDIT** Had a Note 2 for close to 3 years, not one GPS problem.

Supacat

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Like I said I didn't want to bust anyone's bubble but sad to say there is no magical fix for this. Our only hope is a firmware fix.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Get this software:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2&token=KOZheriJ

Start it. Go outdoors where you have a CLEAR view of the sky. Stay out there. Keep this software active on the screen. Let it run AT LEAST 20 minutes OUTDOORS. Maybe put it on the dashboard of the car while going on a long drive and running GPS Status.
After 20 minutes OUTDOORS, report back what the numbers are for FIX/SATS. It will be very helpful to know how many fixes the software sees.

It takes the GPS a LONG time of use with a clear view of the sky before it acquires the full catalog the first time. aGPS is supposed to speed this process, but I don't have luck with it. Once I did this, I now get a fix on over 12 satellites in about 4 seconds. It you power it off before it acquires the full data set, it may need to start over. Once this is done, you are good for weeks. Using it occasionally will keep the data updated.

If after 15 or 20 minutes under clear sky you still don't have a fix on at least 9 satellites (GPS and Glonass), it is likely broken.

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Guys, I come bearing good news! A user on reddit solved my problem! He posted on my thread about note 4 gps issues. He said he was having the same problems, and a Samsung rep at Best Buy told him older memory cards were causing problems in theses phones. He said he took out his card, rebooted the phone, and then tried the gps (still leaving the card out). He said it worked. I was skeptical, but I tried the same thing...and it worked for me, too!! I bought a new card today. I'm transferring all my data to it now. I'll have to check tomorrow if it still works even with all my data on my new card. In the meantime, y'all should try this!

jummybui

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Guys, I come bearing good news! A user on reddit solved my problem! He posted on my thread about note 4 gps issues. He said he was having the same problems, and a Samsung rep at Best Buy told him older memory cards were causing problems in theses phones. He said he took out his card, rebooted the phone, and then tried the gps (still leaving the card out). He said it worked. I was skeptical, but I tried the same thing...and it worked for me, too!! I bought a new card today. I'm transferring all my data to it now. I'll have to check tomorrow if it still works even with all my data on my new card. In the meantime, y'all should try this!

I have tried a new Sim card today and that didn't work but I will definitely give a new SD card a try as it was out of my Note 2 and only a class 4.

Do you know if I format a Class 10 sd card will work?

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Get this software:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2&token=5CgtJwpO

Start it. Go outdoors where you have a CLEAR view of the sky. Stay out there. Keep this software active on the screen. Let it run AT LEAST 20 minutes OUTDOORS.

If after 15 or 20 minutes under clear sky you still don't have a fix on at least 9 satellites (GPS and Glonass), it is likely broken.

I have done this with all my smartphones. Remember you don't load a set of maps or even select a country on the phone. It has to use the data input from the original setup screen and visible satellites to get a fix. Try to stay stationary for the initial fix and save that to the phone. My note 4 and S4 typically get a fix within 4-5 seconds after switching gps on.

Last edited:

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I have tried a new Sim card today and that didn't work but I will definitely give a new SD card a try as it was out of my Note 2 and only a class 4.

Do you know if I format a Class 10 sd card will work?

I didn't consider that, but it might have the same results. You can try it first if you don't want to buy a new card. Luckily memory cards are ridiculously cheap right now. I got a Samsung Evo 64gb card for $26.99!