Note 4 Dock Mode

mark1123

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I have the dock from when I had the Note 3. The Note 4 fits and charges, and when I put it on the dock I get the "dock mode enabled". But it doesn't really enter dock mode. Also, I can't play music from the dock to my speakers...I have to connect the aux cable from the phone's jack directly to the speaker.

Anybody able to enter dock mode on the Note 4?

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
It was removed from the Note 4. Between this and some others that I rely on, I'm about to go back to a Note 3.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

vitoa

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Just tried to dock my Note 4 on my Samsung Note 2 dock and ran into the same issue. The phone fits the Note 2 dock and charges and enters into the dock mode, but no sound through the dock micro USB to the dock 3.5mm speaker jack. I spent some time going through the sound and docking menu's, but no fix.

I did find a work around by inserting the 3.5mm speaker cable into the top of the Note 4 headphone jack.
Hope someone else figures this out!

lwayneh

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I verified the 3.5mm jack isn't producing sound via the dock (as noted). Sound through HDMI does work, however.

If you plug in a USB mouse into the dock with HDMI connected, the phone's screen will blank, video will be displayed solely via HDMI, and a "mouse connected" indicator appears in the pull down display. I'm assuming the same result with a USB keyboard, but haven't verified that yet.

geewhipped

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Gah, just ran into this today. Glad I'm not the only one.
Seems like maybe it is an oversight? Can't think of a good reason to pull the feature intentionally... maybe it'll return in a software update? *fingers crossed*
EDIT: found this thread on XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-4/accessories/dock-mode-galaxy-note-4-t2897972?nocache=1

Including this:
If you search you'll find that this has been discussed at length in several other threads. I'll sum up here for you though- basically the Note 4 at this time does not support audio out over USB the way the previous gen Galaxy devices did. This means it won't work with the desktop docks or with the car docks/cables that split audio and charging on one cable. Essentially any device that tries to provide both audio and charging simultaneously through the usb port will not work. The Note 4 WILL support audio over USB with a USB OTG cable and a DAC, but you can't charge while using them.

However, Android 5.0 Lollipop does have audio out over USB included as a standard feature, so it's quite possible that once we get the 5.0 update this will begin to work. I haven't been able to find any solid proof, but my suspicion is that Samsung knew that 5.0 would have this feature included and so they just didn't bother to build it in to the initial release of the Note 4 (interestingly the S5 also suffers from this). Why take the time to develop a feature that's already being included in the first software update anyway? Again it's just my own personal theory, but I wouldn't be surprised to have this feature start working once we get Lollipop.

Samarium62

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

Thought I'd comment on this. If you check the Accessories in the settings on the Note4 you will see Audio is HDMI. If your monitor has HDMI input it should have a audio out jack on it. Just plug in your speakers to your monitor and it works just fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa