Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Smart Remote: Actually tried a piece of bloatware and love it!

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
This app is amazing! I know the Note 3 had an IR but never used it. This time, I tried it. But the beauty of it is not the gadget of IR. The beauty of it is how it knows your cable system and provider (during setup), allows you to to add only the premium channels you pay for, and organizes shows and movies and sports in a way that you can always find something to watch among the 1000 cable channels. Especially movies. I say that because it breaks it down by genre ie comedy, action,etc, and shows you the DVD covers of the movies. And everything it shows is on live and you get that channel or it doesn't show it. Aim the phone, press the button, and boom! It's pretty slick!

Turns out there is a ton of really good movies on cable but they're on obscure channels and this app finds them and displays the movies as DVD covers. I didn't even know I had a MGM channel and I'm watching Capote as I type this.

If you haven't checked out this app take 5 minutes and set it up and try it.

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Smart Remote: Actually tried a piece of bloatware and love it!

Yup I love it... Always good to have options

Posted via the Android Central App

honey_bee_33

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I tried to set up this when I had Dish cable t.v and It didn't work for me or I may have been doing something wrong, now I'm with AT&T u verse. Hopefully it may work better now. So I'll give it another try.

girls love tech too

crazed_z06

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site

I never really used the blaster on my Note 3... The IR blaster seems to be better on the Note 4

Beltelmel

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site

I love it! Been using it since I got the N4 and it works great with Fios; also controls all of my devices - amp, dvd etc...

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

This app is different than the note 3 app. It's made by a company called Peel which I never heard of. But this is the second night it found a good movie so it earns an icon spot!

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

I couldn't get it to link with my TV. Now I'm disappointed that I didn't get it to work.

Hopefully the support email I sent will result in a solution.

I noticed that it wants to link to the TV. For those of us on DirecTV, it would be nice if it controlled the box. Seems to me that it would be easier for Peel to accomplish this, too. Is this available and I just didn't play with the settings enough?

smoke skull

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site

I have a friend who loves watching TV and he was not impressed with my new N4 until I told him about the awesome remote and TV Guide. Now he's jealous. Also I mentions the 35MBs download speeds from LTE network. His Playbook has poor WiFi speeds even on a good network

IrishSoul

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site

I couldn't get it to link with my TV. Now I'm disappointed that I didn't get it to work.

I noticed that it wants to link to the TV. For those of us on DirecTV, it would be nice if it controlled the box. Seems to me that it would be easier for Peel to accomplish this, too. Is this available and I just didn't play with the settings enough?

HI - I do have cable, but do have it setup to use BOX for Channels and AUX for Audio...so you can get that setup if devices are supported. I wish they would add other household Items..Like AC/Fans..etc... I think the old version allowed that..would help me out ...so many damn remotes.

Really like this app... great at GYM or other place...too... hehe..

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

HI - I do have cable, but do have it setup to use BOX for Channels and AUX for Audio...so you can get that setup if devices are supported. I wish they would add other household Items..Like AC/Fans..etc... I think the old version allowed that..would help me out ...so many damn remotes.

Really like this app... great at GYM or other place...too... hehe..
There will soon be wars in the gym over TVs, as this function becomes more ubiquitous.

Warmart

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site

After you set up the TV it will ask if you have a box. It works great with my Directv receiver and my soundbar.

Posted via the Android Central App on my SGN4

Nitro211K

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site

is there a difference between the "Smart remote" and the "WatchOn" Apps. they seem to do the same thing, and they both came with the phone? It seems like duplication to me. I personally use the WatchOn one.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

I went to LSU the other day for the Ole Miss LSU game. We were yall tailgating. No one could find the remote to the tv to change the channel so we could watch the game... Guess who saved the day with his new fancy phone? :)

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I had Peel before on Note 3. And as a later post notes...it isn't really clear which app we are talking about here. Is it Watch On or Smart Remote? I haven't tried on Note 4 yet because I just use my Logitech Harmony...but it does sound better now.

This app is different than the note 3 app. It's made by a company called Peel which I never heard of. But this is the second night it found a good movie so it earns an icon spot!

Idelgado782

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site

I use the Smart Remote app. Its very intuitive. I have time warner cable, a denon home theater set up and tivo for my dvr along with apple tv all in the living room. On the very top of the remote app I can select either watch time warner cable or watch apple tv. this will automatically know which devices to control. As far as the inputs on the tv & receiver you have to click on the settings within the remote app and scroll down to the bottom and click on the room you want to set up. This will take you to another menu and will show the devices you have set up for use in that room. At the very bottom you will see "activities" and the name of the activity i.e. wtch time warner cable. there you can choose which device you want to choose for volume as well as the input on the tv and receiver. I did this for Watch Tv as well as Watch Apple Tv as they are on two seperate inputs on my receiver. Once that is done you can go into the main page of the remote and select the activity you want and the remote will automatically change all the settings accordintly. Very similar to the logitech harmony remotes. I'm at work right now, but I can post screenies later on when I get home for further explanation.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

My beef is that Smart Remote doesn't show you what's on the premium channels you add to the channel guide. It's not like it's hard for an app to find out what's on HBO at a given time.

ohbreeeezy

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site

is there a difference between the "Smart remote" and the "WatchOn" Apps. they seem to do the same thing, and they both came with the phone? It seems like duplication to me. I personally use the WatchOn one.
I had to download WatchOn from play store.

dasupaman23

Nov 24, 2008
Visit site

For those on DIRECTV, your box may use an rf remote. If it does the note 4's ir can't control it unless you disable rf on the box. I figured it out since it works in my bedroom but not my living room. Found out that one is rf. Not a big deal but good to know.